• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

18 Game Schedule

fansince62

opinions?

I'm not supportive. The product is already diminished to the degree that the potential in a roster is watered down by injury. As a fan...I don't want to be arguing coulda/woulda/shoulda in respect to injuries. I also agree with the players that this would likely shorten many careers. again...not something I want to see.

Agreed, particularly if they will not expand roster spots. I do find it very ironic that the commissioners office is expressing great concern over concussions, yet pushing to add two games.

Incongruous, no?

This may not be popular, but I would like to see a return to the 14 game schedule. No to 18 games - that is crazy. If it goes to 18, then the roster of each team should be 70 to 80 players with no practice squads.

If it stays at 16, then each team should have 65 players with a 5 additional players that are on a practice squad. Also, I would eliminate the signing of squad players by other teams - unless they are released.

My $0.02.

I share your sentiment. Although I am sure there will still be enough blame to go around, in my estimation, this single issue is what could turn the fans against the owners and not the players.

I am also in the "Do Not Want" camp on the idea of 18 games. Numerous reasons have already been mentioned. If the league were to adopt an 18 game schedule I would hope they not only increase the roster size but eliminate the "game inactives" entirely.

This just sounds like a windfall profit during a swell of popularity type of thing by the owners and the league with no consideration other than dollar signs.

I agree with the rest of you. I don't really need two more games.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

As usual, I'm in the minority :) What - two more games each season and you're telling me you wouldn't enjoy the hell out of that?? I would eat that up. I guess I view it in the context of two other decisions I think would have to happen to support it. 1) an expanded NFL roster and 2) Two fewer pre-season games.

Agreed, particularly if they will not expand roster spots. I do find it very ironic that the commissioners office is expressing great concern over concussions, yet pushing to add two games.

Incongruous, no?

agree. 18 regular season games is too long...especially for fans of those teams who are out early.

Would make the offseason shorter, thereby hacking away at the only period in which Redskins fans can experience victory. No thanks.

Players and fans were/are the ones bitching about the preseason.
Therein lies the blame.

Increase the roster size. Eliminate inactive's on gameday.

Have at it.

I'm more against playing games in foreign countries. Which, unfortunately, will be made easier, and happen more often, with an 18 game schedule.

The 18 game schedule is a loser. It sounds good to suits sitting in an office looking to put more money in their pockets, but its not appealing to fans that see teams tank the last 2-3 games already prepping for the playoffs and resting starters. So, we want to go from 2-3 games to 5 games?

And for the teams that are awful, finishing 5-13 is better than watching them finish 5-11? :)

Where is the value add there?

No, the premium value of the NFL over the other professional sports has been the nature of its limited schedule.

Only having the stars perform for a limited number of weeks has heightened the sport at a time when baseball and the NBA seem to drone on forever.

But in recent years the number of head injuries and total injuries has increased to the point where adding 2 games really does come at a real potential cost at the box office - injuries.

Yes, the Packers/Steelers Super Bowl was a success. It was a good game with good talent on display.

But what if the season was elongated and we saw Aaron Rogers and/or Ben Roethlisberger suffer another concussion?

Does anyone really want to see Mike Flynn or Dennis Dixon start a Super Bowl?

Yes, these players can get hurt in 16 games just as they did in 14 games previously.

But each time you add games you increase the chances of injuries.

And if you are playing those extra 2 games to decide the last wildcard entry as we seem to do in so many seasons, the question is - is the risk worth the reward?

I say no.

I continue to hear Goodell say that this is what the fans want. However, I hardly ever come across a fan that wants 2 more games. I know fans want less preseason games.

It comes down to giving the fans less preseason games, like they want, and still make their cash. Actually, they will make more off of the 2 extra regular season games.

I am against it mainly because of injuries. It is hard enough to get through the season now.

No wonder Boone and I wanted to start a Skins site. We're both crazy.

I'm in the "why the hell not?" camp. I watch every Redskins game there is. I'd rather watch two more that count, with real players playing real games where both teams actually care about what the scoreboard says, than two more preseason jokes where truckdrivers and bologna slicers play the better part of the last two "games" without gameplans or anything other than personal motivation and the scoreboard means nothing.

And if they're 5-11, yes, I'm sure as hell going to watch the last two games, whether I think they're going to win them or not.

AND I'm going to eat up two more weeks of watching other teams play games that count too.

Me football junkie. Like real thing.

The short answer is no, its bad for the product on the field as injuries mount and we're forced to watch teams scramble for replacements by going to the local Ihop finding their best customer and playing them at right tackle.

As a season ticket holder I am torn. I would love for them to do away with preseason all together and keep the 16wk format, and free me from having to purchase two preseason games. We all know that aint happening.

I am ok with them keeping it as is, cause even though I lose money on the preseason its still kinda cool to give those tickets away to people who would otherwise never get to see a pro football game(even if its not the big names playing). I almost never goto preseason games, I do watch them though cause I do like to see how the guys on the bubble perform.

I also like the idea of expanding the playoffs instead of the regular season, if you are gonna make the players play extra games why not make those extra games be directly linked to the big prize.

I think it would be interesting to have the 4 division winners of each conference get 2 wks of byes durring the extended playoffs. In those two weeks you would have the 8 remaining best teams play to determine who gets the 2 wild card spots in each conference, the remaining 8 with the worst records(both conferences pooled into this tourny) would also play to determine draft order(the 2 winners of that tournament would play in the wild card round of the normal playoff to determine pick 1 and 2 of the draft).

Now I understand that my method of having the losers play to win their draft spot is counter productive to giving the 1 pick to the worst team to make them better, however the worst team at worst is gonna pick 8th anyways which isnt terrible and I would rather see a suck team come alive to win something they can hang their hat on rather than just fade out to get a good pick.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.