• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Last living US WWI vet dies in W. Va. at age 110

Sarge

RIP Old Timer

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/02/27/ap/national/main20037076.shtml?tag=stack

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (AP) — He was repeatedly rejected by military recruiters and got into uniform at 16 after lying about his age. But Frank Buckles would later become the last surviving U.S. veteran of World War I.

Buckles, who also survived being a civilian POW in the Philippines in World War II, died of natural causes Sunday at his home in Charles Town, biographer and family spokesman David DeJonge said in a statement. He was 110.

Buckles had been advocating for a national memorial honoring veterans of the Great War in the nation's capital.

I saw it early this morning too and was hoping Sarge would start this thread (seems appropriate).

He turned 110 on Feb. 1 and was lobbying to have a WWI memorial on the DC Mall. He'll get that job done soon enough (no doubt, Corp. Buckles will be looking down on the project).

That leaves two veterans from WWI who are still with us - a man and a woman from England.

May God bless the Buckles family.

WWI has passed from living memory. Of course we knew it was coming, but it's still a little sad.

can you imagine any 16 year old today (or anyone from New England for that matter...:).....) lying to get into the military? I can't.

RIP old man.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.