• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Crucial Decision?

I was just thinking of another scenario I hadn't heard yet. What if Jason Campbell has a slightly above average season? Do we sign him to a huge contract since he has had this one breakout season? Do we trust that it is not a fluke and he really has come into his own? We have had so many big signing busts, is this a subject that should concern us? Or do you go by one season and sign a multi-million dollar contract to keep him around?

I think will depend on how well the team does. If we go 6-10 or something, Zorn's probably gone and the new guy will probably want his own QB. If we go 10-6, well, I don't know. :)

What I'd do is draft a QB somewhere around the 3rd round and have him be our 'diamond in the rough' guy, just in case Campbell regresses. I think we need to take a break from drafting a QB in the first round. Between 1994 and 2006 we drafted three QBs in the first round. Once every four years. That's killing us.

Of course that all goes back to coaching turnover, which will continue to be a problem if Zorn gets the axe this year.

So I guess my short answer is, don't fire Zorn. :)

Point. I had forgotten both Flutie and Freisz. But still remains that they only keep Brady and Cassel buried on the depth chart for a year before making them #2. A more caustious coach would gone looking for a veteran backup that second year too.

Once again, I think the Patriots are getting too much credit here.

For one, Cassell did not become #2 until his 3rd season. They signed Vinny T. at the last moment to be backup in 2006. Based on this, if you want to do things the "Patriot Way", then I suppose you have to stick w/Collins as #2 :).

The bigger point is, in both instances, both Brady and Cassell were #2s behind extremely durable franchise QBs (people forget that Bledsoe had been signed to a $100M contract in the offseason before 2001). It's like the Colts with Sorgi behind Manning. They pay so much for the starter, and the starter is so durable, that they cheat on #2. It really isn't that much of a risk or a gamble, or even prescient.

Campbell is nowhere nearly as entrenched as Bledsoe or Brady. There is a very real possibility here that Zorn does call on #2 to replace an ineffective #1. Who in their right mind would feel more confident with either of the young guys over Collins?

And it still never ceases to amaze me that anyone, in this day and age of parity and all the recent examples, would categorically declare that any team (except for a few) has no chance to do anything in the upcoming season. Honestly, and with all due respect, such thinking borders on idiocy.

I sure as heck am not counting out the season on any level. I firmly believe that solid QB play (whether it's the QB, OL, and/or receivers that have to step up in order to make that happen) will make the Redskins a contender. Whoever provides it is irrelevant. Personally, I have just as much faith (if not more) in Collins than I do in Campbell. Like Hooper said, his pre-snap reads are sharper than any other QB on the roster, which allow him to be much quicker with the ball.

And, as someone else pointed out, why not stash Daniel on the PS? I find it hard to believe that someone would sign him to go on their active roster. Maybe he'll come down with some rare blood disorder. :new_idea:

In reading all of this QB conversation, I think much of it is really moot--

Is Todd Collins the answer for future seasons, probably not--

Is he a good hedge who knows this offense and has good experience coming off the bench and doing fairly well--yeah, and that's really what I think he is: a stop gap bandage against a Campbell injury.

What Collins is not is a late career Doug Floutie; it's just not in him; his footwork is too slow and sloppy.

And what about Brennan and this other rookie? Unknown commodities.

Factor in the fact that if and when the rookies come in they will be playing in real time NFL games for the first time and playing behind an old, injury prone offensive line. And if they are coming in because of injury to Campbell, it likely means that it will be later in the season, meaning a higher probability that more of the line will be out with injuries--

Not a great combination. And who would you want behind center with a 7-3 record to protect? A capable, if forgettable game manager or an unknown commodity?

Stated another way, what's most important for this offense to succeed is a solid offensive line--

Without the solidity of the offensive line--or really, without providing the rookies with a fair opportunity to show their potential via a strong OL--why bother with the unknown when so many similar unknowns haven't faired well in those circumstances?

I just don't think it matters whether Colt or another high round draft pick is the second coming of Sammy Baugh, if he's going to be on his back all of the time, he won't be making big plays and is liable to get hurt often and severely, diminishing whatever potential he may have had.

Now compare that to Collins who has played with a hampered 'Skins OL and has done pretty well, even with certain key line men out. He hasn't been spectacular, but he has put up some impressive Ws.

So I think we play it safe with Collins as the #2 and hope that Campbell proves many of us wrong with impressive performance.

Until this Front Office mindset's changes from a "annual band-aid" approach to a "build from the core" approach, the Collins-type QB will IMO always be the better option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is he a good hedge who knows this offense and has good experience coming off the bench and doing fairly well--yeah, and that's really what I think he is: a stop gap bandage against a Campbell injury.

"Hedge"! That's one I missed! :)

I agree, though. #2 is not the spot for grooming a young quarterback. That's #3, or maybe even injured reserve, after somebody trips the guy and the training team rushes over and yells "sprained ankle! sprained ankle!" (Ahh... the Gibbs years).

Im gonna keep this short and sweet...

We have a hall of fame OL coach yet we still rely on Veteran player who should need no real "coaching up."

We have a former QB, most recently a QB coach and often called QB guru as a head coach...

Why do we need a 38 yr old backup QB? Why do all of our OL'men have to be veterans. Other teams get by with drafting and developing young talent AND COACHING THEM.

The league is a QB league, you have to have two quality QBs and we don't have one of high caliber.

Something's got to give.

He's barely played in the NFL Seriously. Is he better prepared than Colt or Daniels? No question. But he's hardly a living wealth of NFL game experience. I reject your core argument, that if JC goes down for the season and we have to go to #2, that the seasons over if Collins, and ONLY Collins, is the guy we turn to.

I agree and I think that will be determined over the course of pre-season. This thread raises and interesting point. The Redskins are in somewhat of a pickle. Your keeping Collins who is nothing but this year's insurance at the gamble you choose to keep the right guy as the number three. Chase plays well and ends up on the practice squad only to get picked up, Colt gets cut only to develop into the Rainbow passer we all like to think he can be.

I still hold out hope Campbell can rise to stardom, but who knows. There is alot riding on this pre-season at QB, for this year and beyond.

Boone, I agree that Collins is the perfect #2, which is why we should keep him.

In terms of a long term replacement for Campbell (humoring the idea that he would need replacing, of course), I don't think he's currently on the roster. Although my ever-optimistic heart thinks Brennan could potentially be a young Theismann in the making, and that Daniels could also surprise us all, my unbiased mind thinks that we should bite the bullet and make a move for McCoy or Bradford in the next draft.

He's barely played in the NFL Seriously. Is he better prepared than Colt or Daniels? No question. But he's hardly a living wealth of NFL game experience. I reject your core argument, that if JC goes down for the season and we have to go to #2, that the seasons over if Collins, and ONLY Collins, is the guy we turn to.

I agree and I think that will be determined over the course of pre-season. This thread raises and interesting point. The Redskins are in somewhat of a pickle. Your keeping Collins who is nothing but this year's insurance at the gamble you choose to keep the right guy as the number three. Chase plays well and ends up on the practice squad only to get picked up, Colt gets cut only to develop into the Rainbow passer we all like to think he can be.

I still hold out hope Campbell can rise to stardom, but who knows. There is alot riding on this pre-season at QB, for this year and beyond.

That's really all I'm arguing. I actually love Collins - I wish we'd gotten him earlier in his career - I fear he's a better QB than Jason is ever going to be. Honestly - I believe Zorn likely thinks Collins is a better QB than Jason, last year, and right now. He just doesn't have the juice to name him starter since his star is hitched to Campbell's (fairly or not).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.