• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

ESPN980 interview with Coach Shanahan

Burgundy Burner

The Commissioner
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Virginia
Here are some of the things that Coach said...

Coach is not in a win now mode and focused on building the team in the right way.

Coach wants to updgrade the OL - wants to add at least two new starters and sees Montgomery and Lichtensteiger as very capable backups.

No plans to draft a QB - as it stands now.

Portis would be making too much money this coming season - meaning that he is probably gone.

Is ok with Torain in the backfield, but really concerned about staying healthy for a full season.

The McNabb issue will depend on what happens with the CBA. Said very little about Haynesworth and what is planned with that situation.

Coach said the team has almost no depth and wants to really focus on this issue for 2011 - the only exception is TE.

Plans more interviews tomorrow with more details about team plans for 2011.

Thanks for sharing, but I don't put much stock in anything Shanahan says publically, particularly when it comes to which players he wants to keep and the draft. It's just not his modus operandi to tell fans what he's thinking. He's never done that, and I don't see him becoming an open book now.

The question that I have is what happens if one of these truly elite players drops to ten. I'm talking AJ Green or Robert Quinn, do we take him or trade down. The problem is to get a trade down partner there has to be somebody that another team wants. Maybe Cam Newton is avalable at ten and the Dolphins want to trade up.

The question that I have is what happens if one of these truly elite players drops to ten. I'm talking AJ Green or Robert Quinn, do we take him or trade down. The problem is to get a trade down partner there has to be somebody that another team wants. Maybe Cam Newton is avalable at ten and the Dolphins want to trade up.

The way the names have been flying up and down in the mocks who's going to wind up where seems a tough call as yet-maybe the results from Indy will help sort things out a bit.

Boone, I understand your reluctance to put much credibility in the Shanahan interview, but it looks like he may have hemmed himself in as far as a dramatic shift in direction without getting scorched in the media and on fan boards. Of course, I've read that he had the Denver sports media pretty much wrapped around his little finger and maybe he hasn't realized how cantankerous and independent the D.C. sports folks can be. God help him if that's the case. LOL!

Shanahan's entire legacy could rest on what he does with the Redskins. Fail epic-ally and he becomes a coach who could only win a Super Bowl with a John Elway behind center. Bring the Redskins back to perennial playoff contender, and he's one of the best coaches of the modern era. In that context, there's no way in hell Shanahan either cares what fans want or think, or would alter his coaching decision-making based on potential fan reaction. Shanahan will do what he thinks HE needs to do to take the Redskins to the next level. I'll also say this - if he doesn't go QB, it's not because he's realized the wisdom of Redskins fans in their insistence he goes Oline and fills other less sexy needs. It'll be because he thinks Grossman can be a franchise QB. Be careful what you wish for Redskins fans. You may end wishing like hell he had gone QB if he doesn't.

Shanahan's entire legacy could rest on what he does with the Redskins. Fail epic-ally and he becomes a coach who could only win a Super Bowl with a John Elway behind center. Bring the Redskins back to perennial playoff contender, and he's one of the best coaches of the modern era. In that context, there's no way in hell Shanahan either cares what fans want or think, or would alter his coaching decision-making based on potential fan reaction. Shanahan will do what he thinks HE needs to do to take the Redskins to the next level. I'll also say this - if he doesn't go QB, it's not because he's realized the wisdom of Redskins fans in their insistence he goes Oline and fills other less sexy needs. It'll be because he thinks Grossman can be a franchise QB. Be careful what you wish for Redskins fans. You may end wishing like hell he had gone QB if he doesn't.

nice post. I'm caught in the middle...I reallly think they should draft a QB in round one....because

- if one is optimistic..the record keeps improving so the chances diminsh to control who one selects down the road

- there is no real QB on the roster now

but.....I also have to trust that Shanahan knows what the team/offense needs and won't therefore select just any QB come #10.

Sarge...you may leave if he selects Newton. I may "vacation" if Rex is the starting QB. I'll find something else to do until the team finds a real QB. nothing worse than watching someone with limited skills who you know is going to self-destruct at the wrong time.

nice post. I'm caught in the middle...I reallly think they should draft a QB in round one....because

- if one is optimistic..the record keeps improving so the chances diminsh to control who one selects down the road

You do realize the recent super Bowl MVP was picked 24th in the draft?

Sarge...you may leave if he selects Newton. I may "vacation" if Rex is the starting QB. I'll find something else to do until the team finds a real QB. nothing worse than watching someone with limited skills who you know is going to self-destruct at the wrong time.
:bsflag:
On both of you.

If Grossman, or Newton, is the starter, and the team is losing, you'll both be hear to remind us who'd "told us so."

But, if Grossman, Newton, or Ryan ****ing Leaf, is the starter, and the team is winning and contending for a playoff berth, you'll both be cheering on the team.
We'll see if you make it public, or not.;)

So, just stop it already. Ya Ninnies.

For the record, I'm not looking forward to either guy being our man. But, come opening day, whoever the guy is in the Redskin helmet, what takes the snap from center, will be my guy. Good, bad, or ugly.

:bsflag:
On both of you.

If Grossman, or Newton, is the starter, and the team is losing, you'll both be hear to remind us who'd "told us so."

But, if Grossman, Newton, or Ryan ****ing Leaf, is the starter, and the team is winning and contending for a playoff berth, you'll both be cheering on the team.
We'll see if you make it public, or not.;)

So, just stop it already. Ya Ninnies.

For the record, I'm not looking forward to either guy being our man. But, come opening day, whoever the guy is in the Redskin helmet, what takes the snap from center, will be my guy. Good, bad, or ugly.

We will not win if we don't have a better O-Line. Period. That was one of the parts of the Shanny interview I liked, that he wants at least two new starters. In reality, we need five, but I'll take two realizing you can't replace the whole team in one off season

I like that he says he's not in "win now" mode. Perhaps having his ass handed to him this year made him realize the errors of his ways last year

Getting rid of Portis can't happen soon enough

But if they up and take a Newton, headcase that he and his dad have shown to be, I'm gonna ****. Maybe if Gabbert is there I might not be as upset, but Newton needs to go somewhere else. We have enough issues to deal without another headcase

If that happens, I seriosly doubt I'll be hanging around this or any other Redskins board much in the future, because it'll confirm to me that turdblsoom is still behind the scenes playing fantasy football and it'll be just mor of the same that we've seen for the past 10 years.

I stopped buying Skins **** 5 years ago. I gave up my season tickets last year. IF we do anothe 'sexy" pick again I'll be done

We will not win if we don't have a better O-Line. Period.

For the record, the Bears had the worst O-Line in football (yes, worse than ours) and ended up in the NFCCG. Now, they needed some luck and terrible calls to make it there, but they made it there nonetheless.

Does this mean we don't need to upgrade the OL? Of course not - we definitely need to - I just think the OL is not as high a priority as some of our other needs. And a great QB makes a bad OL look good - just look at Aaron Rodgers.

What Shanahan said sounds good. Thing is from now until the draft the air waves will be filled with smoke and mirrors. Coaches and GM's will say one thing, so as not to tip their hand.

This is the refreshing part of this interview. With Vinny he would have leaked to the entire world who the Redskins coveted.

I had to bump this thread after reading this article from Gary Fitzgerald disclosing Shanahan's "priority list" for the Redskins. It makes for some interesting reading and is surprisingly, to me at least, forthcoming from Shanny given his rep as being closed-mouthed about his plans.

If he's blowing smoke, he's starting to resemble a forest fire.

Shanahan Says Pass-Rushing Linebacker Is Top Need

The Redskins have one elite pass rusher in outside linebacker Brian Orakpo, who has 19.5 sacks and two Pro Bowl berths to his credit.

Mike Shanahan said on Friday the Redskins need another pass-rushing linebacker to complement Orakpo in the team’s 3-4 defense.

It’s a priority for the club, Shanahan said.

“I think it ranks right at the top [of Redskins’ personnel needs],” Shanahan said in a media briefing at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.

He added: “Obviously when you have any consistent defense, using the 3-4, you’ve got to have two great outside pass rushers, a great nose tackle and a great safety.”

Certainly Shanahan is aware that two teams that run a successful 3-4 – the Green Bay Packers and Pittsburgh Steelers – competed in the Super Bowl.

Those two teams have elite pass rushing linebackers in Clay Matthews, LaMarr Woodley and James Harrison, among others.

In the draft, Texas A&M’s Von Miller is the top outside linebacker available, followed by UCLA’s Akeem Ayers.

Miller could be off the draft board by the time the Redskins pick at No. 10. Ayers should be available.

Green Bay and Pittsburgh also have two outstanding nose tackles in Casey Hampton – a six-time Pro Bowler – and B.J. Raji.

Asked where nose tackle fits in as a team need, Shanahan replied: “You’re always looking for that great nose tackle. They don’t come around every day. We’ve got a plan in free agency, we’ve got a plan in the draft.

“We’re just going to have to let that play out. We do have a couple of guys there, but we don’t have a dominant guy there.”

Shanahan said he felt better prepared to address the Redskins’ needs heading into his second season with the club.

“You know what offense you’re running, the type of defense you’re running, you have an idea of what players fit in and what players don’t,” he said. “So then, when you hit free agency and the draft, you have a game plan.

“When you first come in, you’re not really sure. Not sure about the people you have and the personalities. So it is a process the first year.”

Shanahan indicated that the team still has “a ways to go” in terms of developing the roster.

He said several times that improving the depth across the board is another critical goal of the offseason.

“The only place we’re really deep at is the tight end position,” he said. “That’s why we’ve got to have a good game plan for free agency and the draft and build it the right way. It’s not going to happen overnight, it never does.

“But we’re going to focus on character and guys that want to be a part of this football team long-term. We want to try to get younger. But we’re not going to do it all overnight.”

Link:http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Shanahan_Says_Pass_Rushing_Linebacker_Is_Top_Need_193151.jsp

I do not see the Skins walking away with a QB at the 10th pick. The only two that will go that high are Newton and Gabbert and I think they will both be taken by the time we are on the board. No other QB is worth it.

I can see us going LB, Cb, OL (that is probably a reach) or trading down and grabbing a stud NT or OL. Best player available.

I have seen a few people that have suggested Julio Jones or Mark Ingram at our spot, but those positions seem like luxuries when you take the holes on our team into consideration.

I have a huge problem with Newton. I saw his conference earlier and really despise public figures reading off of a piece of paper. It really seems disingenious. I also have a huge problem when the QB can not speak properly. When he uses 'is' instead of 'are' or 'have' instead of 'has' and speaks of himself in the third person, I do not see him becoming anything but below average. Has there ever been an accomplished QB that did not speak somewhat properly?

If we go QB, then I think we look at Andy Dalton in the second. If we go into the season with Rex, Alex Smith (via FA) and Dalton, I think I will be content.

I have to say that it's nice to see that Shanahan does see that we're not close. I share the fear about Grossman. If Shanahan thinks Grossman can hold down the fort for a year while the team addresses the lines, I could live with that. But if he thinks Rex is The Answer ... well, let's hope he doesn't.

I seriously doubt that either of the Shannys think Grossman is the answer. He is a stop gap nothing more. But, you have to have someone better to take his spot. At this moment, who is out there that is better?

I have to say that it's nice to see that Shanahan does see that we're not close. I share the fear about Grossman. If Shanahan thinks Grossman can hold down the fort for a year while the team addresses the lines, I could live with that. But if he thinks Rex is The Answer ... well, let's hope he doesn't.

which begs the question from 2010: What Were You Thinking?!!!!!!!

which begs the question from 2010: What Were You Thinking?!!!!!!!

Its all politics man...you should have learned by now after all these years, coaches (the good ones, anyway *coughZORNcough*) rarely mean what they say.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.