A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
Game 12 - Philly. No biggie. Just a season in the balance ...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0

View Poll Results: Does the 2011 NFL Season Happen?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. There is too much at stake for the players/owners not to work it out.

    10 66.67%
  • No. We've seen this before. No football in 2011.

    5 33.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43
  1. #1

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    17,841
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    94
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Post Does the 2011 NFL Season Happen?

    We've heard it before...there is too much to be lost by both sides for an NFL lockout to occur. And yet, history shows that it's entirely possible.

    So - cut bait or fish - does the 2011 NFL Season Happen?
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    You ain't bonafide

  2. #2

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    17,841
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    94
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default

    I say we are sans NFL football this season. I hope to hell that doesn't occur, but we've seen this game before. Conventional wisdom is always that it would be stupid on both sides parts not to reach an agreement. Therefore, an agreement will no doubt be reached. And yet we know that the very nature of negotiation is that both sides gravitate to extreme positions so that when compromise finally is reached, they will get what at a minimum what was sought after from the beginning. The problem is, by starting at those extremes, it creates a situation where coming to some kind of common ground in any reasonable time is almost impossible. And when the difficulty in bridging the gulf between the two camps becomes obvious, all kinds of posturing and attacking begins.

    If Goodell manages to avoid a work stoppage given the current situation, it will be a career-defining moment. I'm just not particularly confident that the two sides can come together without some serious mutual pain being involved, and the only scenario that provides that kind of painful leverage is a lost season.

    I hope I'm wrong.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    You ain't bonafide

  3. #3

    2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

    Join Date
    07-22-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    6,926
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

    Default

    Yes, there will be football. Someway, somehow.

    And personally, I'd root just as hard for replacements as I would for the regulars.

    I did last time.

    But I thought I heard that there could not be replacement players again. I hope that isn't right.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    "Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen"

  4. #4
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    12-26-09
    Posts
    587
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ax View Post
    But I thought I heard that there could not be replacement players again. I hope that isn't right.
    I've heard the same thing. I think it's all or nothing folks!
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  5. #5

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    17,841
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    94
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default

    I don't know that it's outright 'illegal', but it does seem the general legal consensus is that hiring replacement players based on non-renewal of the CBA would not be allowed by the courts. Distinctly different situation from a player 'strike' in other words. I'll make this a straight 'yes' or 'no' poll Nice catch Ax...
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    You ain't bonafide

  6. #6

    Join Date
    06-30-09
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    4,086
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    25

    Default

    I think we will see games this fall but I don't see a full slate of them happening. Maybe soemething like a 10 or 12 game season with games starting somewhere between Oct 1 and Oct 15, give or take.

    I just don't see either side being willing to flush a whole season over this. At the end of the day, it is in everyone's best interest to work it out as there really are no losers in this deal except the fans.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    hailus redskinus
    COYS

  7. #7

    Join Date
    06-30-09
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    3,569
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Indiana

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    I say we are sans NFL football this season. I hope to hell that doesn't occur, but we've seen this game before. Conventional wisdom is always that it would be stupid on both sides parts not to reach an agreement. Therefore, an agreement will no doubt be reached. And yet we know that the very nature of negotiation is that both sides gravitate to extreme positions so that when compromise finally is reached, they will get what at a minimum what was sought after from the beginning. The problem is, by starting at those extremes, it creates a situation where coming to some kind of common ground in any reasonable time is almost impossible. And when the difficulty in bridging the gulf between the two camps becomes obvious, all kinds of posturing and attacking begins.

    If Goodell manages to avoid a work stoppage given the current situation, it will be a career-defining moment. I'm just not particularly confident that the two sides can come together without some serious mutual pain being involved, and the only scenario that provides that kind of painful leverage is a lost season.

    I hope I'm wrong.
    In light of you're having consolidated possible outcomes into only two choices I went with yes-football in some form, possibly replacements, possibly a shortened season, but I think it would probably be unlikely that there would be absolutely no NFL football of any type played. I agree that both sides have staked out positions that-to whatever extent it's possible to take a "disinterested observer's" perspective-seem mutually exclusive but we've seen "one second before midnight just before the coach turns back into a pumpkin" settlements before and that is still a possibility, I think.

    BTW, Boone, I am totally stealing most of your first paragraph in the post I quoted-a beautifully clear analysis of most argumentative stalemates no matter the subject of the negotiation. Kudos on that one.

    One more thing, IMHO it would be in Goodell's best interest to try to hammer out a solution to this. I've been perusing other team fan forums and his reputation among NFL fans appears to be on a serious downslide everywhere. You spoke of this as a possible "career-defining" moment-it just might, if things go too awry, be a career-ending one.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    I'm giving it a 2-4 year window. Looking for improvement in all areas. Redskins, you're on the clock.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    02-01-10
    Location
    Waynesboro, VA
    Posts
    9,169
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    65
    James Madison

    Default

    I hope I am wrong, but i voted no. I think both sides have already dug in for the long haul, and it is not going to be pretty. The news last week that several teams had fired salespeople and other staff seemed portentous to me. It shows the owners are ready. The players will have a few who haven't prepared, but by and large it seems like they are ready too.

    And just to echo Neo, the fans get ****ed. So, yay.
    Posted via BGO Mobile Device
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  9. #9
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    12-20-09
    Posts
    188
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Maryland

    Default

    I think there will be football, but I don't think it's going to be a full season.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Redskins | Capitals | D.C United | Nationals | Wizards

  10. #10

    NFL Pickem Champion 2015

    Join Date
    08-04-09
    Location
    Sparta,NC
    Posts
    2,629
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

    Default

    If there is no season,I'm done.
    31 years of fandom that the league will have shot to hell.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  11. #11
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    12-12-09
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    1,057
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    So, can anyone be signed on to be, say, gardeners, or chauffeurs, or painters, or general labourers, who just so happen play football on the weekend?

    Technically, they wouldn't be signed as replacement players; just employees who like to play football on weekends.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Why should I get out of bed at 4am just to watch us lose?

  12. #12

    Join Date
    07-15-09
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,516
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

    Default

    According to Dave Krieger, the Lockout is a lock. Personally, I just don't see a new CBA happening any time soon. The players and owners are a billion dollars apart. That's no small amount of money, and not likely to be reconciled in any timely fashion, as Boone said.

    Its a travesty, for sure - and while I won't go to the extreme DieselPwr44 will, the NFL is definitely losing its luster for me. Lets go Caps!
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  13. #13

    Join Date
    07-22-09
    Posts
    7,588
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DieselPwr44 View Post
    If there is no season,I'm done.
    31 years of fandom that the league will have shot to hell.

    Ouch!

    That's like giving up on sex cuz your significant other gained 80 lbs.....cmon now...you know you're married to the Skins....for better or for worse!
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  14. #14

    NFL Pickem Champion 2015

    Join Date
    08-04-09
    Location
    Sparta,NC
    Posts
    2,629
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fansince62 View Post
    Ouch!

    That's like giving up on sex cuz your significant other gained 80 lbs.....cmon now...you know you're married to the Skins....for better or for worse!
    My grandparents were avid Orioles fans and raised me as one.
    I followed them until the strike that canceled World Series.

    I have yet to watch a baseball game or even look at the standings.

    When players and owners think they are bigger than the game and shove the fans to the side and basically tell you to your face that "your all suckers, you'll be back no matter what we do to you"

    Then the sport is poisoned from the inside out.

    Both sides still have time to get a deal done. It would help if they could..you know...actually sit in the same room,knock the BS off and actually negotiate.

    But if this "Peeing Contest" causes the cancellation of the whole 2011 season, then I'm done.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  15. #15
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-19-09
    Location
    Bethesda Md
    Posts
    6,757
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

    Default

    There will be a truncated season in 2011. I think the minicamps and OTAs will be passed by as will most of training camp. But I see a deal sometime around the last 10 days of August. Perhaps the start of the season is pushed back a couple of weeks (or they drop the first 2 games) to account for free agent signings and some practices.

    But I think there will be a 2011 season and a Super Bowl.

    The NFL saw what happened in baseball in 1994 when they cancelled the World Series.

    That took 6-8 years for the sport to come back from.

    I think the NFL is banking on the players breaking ranks and calling for a new deal and some concessions by the middle of the summer as their wallets become empty and they see those bonus dollars for 2011 hanging in the breeze.

    We will see if they are correct.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  16. #16

    Join Date
    07-22-09
    Posts
    7,588
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DieselPwr44 View Post
    My grandparents were avid Orioles fans and raised me as one.
    I followed them until the strike that canceled World Series.

    I have yet to watch a baseball game or even look at the standings.

    When players and owners think they are bigger than the game and shove the fans to the side and basically tell you to your face that "your all suckers, you'll be back no matter what we do to you"

    Then the sport is poisoned from the inside out.

    Both sides still have time to get a deal done. It would help if they could..you know...actually sit in the same room,knock the BS off and actually negotiate.

    But if this "Peeing Contest" causes the cancellation of the whole 2011 season, then I'm done.
    ok. so how do you feel about no CR come 4 Mar? I kid. I kid.

    let's hope then that the pot gets divided sufficiently to placate all NFL sides. Don't want to lose anyone who loves the Diesel!!
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  17. #17

    NFL Pickem Champion 2015

    Join Date
    08-04-09
    Location
    Sparta,NC
    Posts
    2,629
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fansince62 View Post

    let's hope then that the pot gets divided sufficiently to placate all NFL sides. Don't want to lose anyone who loves the Diesel!!
    Well, I'm trying to be hopeful.

    I'm glad to be here. Alot of good folks here who have the best interest of the Redskins at heart.

    Now, if we could just get Boone to buy a round for the room...
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  18. #18

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    17,841
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    94
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default

    I don't to buy it - I brewed it!
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    You ain't bonafide

  19. #19

    Join Date
    06-30-09
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    4,086
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    I don't to buy it - I brewed it!
    Boone is a wise man.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    hailus redskinus
    COYS

  20. #20

    Join Date
    04-12-09
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    4,678
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

    Default

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...html?eref=sihp

    NFL, union resume mediation for 4th day in row

    WASHINGTON (AP) -- Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Charlie Batch emerged with a smile and a positive outlook Monday after attending a fourth consecutive day of federally mediated negotiations between the NFL and the players' union.
    "Things are going well right now," said Batch, a member of the NFL Players Association executive committee. "We'll see how things progress over the next couple days."


    He didn't discuss any details.
    I don't know what this means, but it doesn't sound all bad.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Clayton For Haynesworth “Might Happen”
    By Miles Monroe in forum Sons of Washington
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-25-10, 11:25 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-18-10, 01:48 AM
  3. slow day more another mock draft that I happen to like
    By brandies in forum Sons of Washington
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-17-10, 05:32 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-07-09, 08:26 PM
  5. SI: Peter King - NFL in 2011? Not looking good
    By Neophyte in forum National Football League
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-06-09, 04:58 PM

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •