A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
Game 12 - Philly. No biggie. Just a season in the balance ...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
  1. #1
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    01-20-10
    Location
    Coral Springs, FL
    Posts
    66
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Coast Guard

    Default Rank the Skin's most pressing needs; and how to fill them

    Arguing the merits of taking a QB with the #10 pick aside, this is what I see as our most pressing needs this off-season and how the team can best go about filling them.

    The Skins needs are the D-line, O-line, OLB, ILB, WR, CB, and S; in that order. They have a 1st, 2nd, 2 5ths, 1 6th, and 2 7th round picks - 7 total.

    They will address the D-line (nose tackle) and OLB with the 1st and 2nd picks.
    They will address the O-line (center/guard) with one of the 5th rounders.
    They will address QB, WR, CB, and S with the remaining 5th, 6th, and 2 7th round picks respectively.

    They will address ILB, D-line (tackle), and O-line (guard and tackle) via free agency.

    So, I see them using free agency and the draft heavily on the lines. A developmental QB in the mix, and a shot at a franchise QB next year when we have a decent line to protect him.

    This assumes he does not trade the 1st round pick for more picks. If they do trade down my bet is on Miami or Jacksonville. If so, they can net a low 2nd/high 3rd round pick from it. If they do, THEN they will target a QB with the extra pick. Have at it.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  2. #2
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    11-17-10
    Location
    I live in the warmest city in the coldest province
    Posts
    2,683
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    UTEP

    Default

    honestly it will all depend on who falls or doesnt fall to us at our pick. Hopefully we go against type and dont just pick the sexy pick but pick the player who is gonna be the best fit.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  3. #3
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    01-20-10
    Location
    Coral Springs, FL
    Posts
    66
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Coast Guard

    Default

    Scott Wright's Draft Countdown has us taking A. J. Green, WR out of Georgia, at the #10 pick believing he will slip down that far. Would that count as the sexy pick or the best player available? Wright is quoted as saying he will be a play maker and the best WR prospect to come along since Calvin Johnson. I got nothing on him; any ideas?
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  4. #4
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    11-17-10
    Location
    I live in the warmest city in the coldest province
    Posts
    2,683
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    UTEP

    Default

    AJ green could be awesome but he odesnt have the measureables of Johnson if he did it would be a no brainer, but wides rarely have a huge affect without a decent qb or oline (see johnsons rookie year). I would call that a sexy pick despite us having a hole at WR, I honestly think we have to shore up the lines on both sides before we go after luxuries like wideouts. BUT if Shanny thinks he can be that player who makes a huge difference he will take him, but shanny traditionally hasnt gone after early wideouts I dont think.

    we need a Nose, and a Center very badly, a 5 tech and an ILB or a pass rush OLB would be our next, and depending on rogers, there are a couple stud corners who could be available if they drop. its too early to tell right now.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  5. #5
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-15-09
    Posts
    824
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rymanofthenorth View Post
    ...we need a Nose, and a Center very badly, a 5 tech and an ILB or a pass rush OLB would be our next, and depending on rogers, there are a couple stud corners who could be available if they drop. its too early to tell right now.
    This....and pretty much in that order.

    I'm a big believer that you don't buck the trend of where the talent in a given draft lies. Even so, I think Pouncey will be special so I'd say to trade down and take him later in the first. If we can't find a partner to trade down with, then we should take the best defensive line player available. There are a ton of promising pass rushers this year. Getting another player to pressure the QB would be a nice consolation prize.

    If that's what happens, it puts us in a bit of a quandary in the second round as we'd still need another C/G even though getting a NT is in my opinion our top priority. My favorite prospect (right now) that might be available at our second round slot is Jerrell Powe. So far, I love this dude. He's an SEC product, plus he's the anti-Haynesworth...a team guy, plays NT and likes it. However if Paea drops because of his injury, I'd strongly consider him in the 2nd instead of Powe.

    Of course all of this is subject to change once the player evaluations from the sources I trust show up.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    “To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” --Thomas Paine

  6. #6
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    11-17-10
    Location
    I live in the warmest city in the coldest province
    Posts
    2,683
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    UTEP

    Default

    Mayock is really the only draft guy I honestly respect, he is right far more often than not, and unlike most draft "gurus" he doesnt mince words or use nebulous statements a whole lot.

    I agree Yusuf that we pretty much need linemen on both sides and this draft has a lot of Dline prospects in the top end. but there really isnt a topflight NT prospect who makes me salivate, there are a couple guys who could end up as dominant 5 techs and I would like an OLB and an ILB, but IMHO we almost have to go Oline right now because its really poor and Oline takes longer to gell.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  7. #7

    2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

    Join Date
    07-22-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    6,926
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

    Default

    D-line, O-line, OLB, ILB

    If you can upgrade these positions, with just one guy for each area, we could improve dramatically. Even if you stand pat everywhere else. Anything more, WR, CB, FS, would be gravy.

    Personally, I'd like to get these new starters. 2 D-linemen, (1 being a nose) 2 O-linemen, (1 being a center) 1 ILB, 1 OLB, and a FS.

    We obviously need to get younger/better at QB. So, grab a young'n, and start learnin' him. I don't think franchise QB's HAVE to come from the 1st round of the draft. But, if you think he's there, you grab him.

    95 times out of 100, BPA is the best option. This year, for us, trading down and getting more picks is the best option. Followed by BPA with the aforementioned 5% option.

    How best to do all this?

    To quote Brother Malcolm, "By any means necessary!"
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    "Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen"

  8. #8
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    01-08-10
    Location
    Wheatland, ca
    Posts
    664
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    An upgrade at Center shouldn't be to hard to find. Rabach is the weakest link among many weak links on the team. It was amazing how much better the offense looked when Rabach was out because of injury. I'm not suggesting that he isn't a standup guy or should be run out of town. I am however in favor of him riding the bench as a backup.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  9. #9
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    01-20-10
    Location
    Coral Springs, FL
    Posts
    66
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Coast Guard

    Default

    Not to put us on too much of a tangent, but most of you say for the O-line what is needed is a center.

    I think either Lichtensteiger or Montgomery could slide and take over the center duties. Montgomery filled in really well for Rabach when he was out (briefly) but I have heard some say Lichtensteiger is better at making reads and adjustments. Both are young, both are around 300 pounds and fit the quick mold needed for the zone blocking scheme employed. The draft is deep with lineman, is there a better guard out there than center?

    Then again, what about Erik Cook? He is listed as a G/C and is more a center than guard. They didn't test him, but let him develop on the practice squad last year. He could push and possibly take over the position. That is another way we can get younger on the line. It is all on him whether he pushes hard during the off-season and can earn the spot, but I just get this feeling Shanahan drafted him specifically because he wanted to replace Rabach with him next year.

    What do you think?
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  10. #10

    2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

    Join Date
    07-22-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    6,926
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

    Default

    Moving players already on the roster around, falls under the...

    "by any means necessary", in my mind.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    "Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen"

  11. #11

    Vescere bracis meis

    Join Date
    07-15-09
    Location
    Mechanicsville, VA
    Posts
    807
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    VCU

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ax View Post
    D-line, O-line, OLB, ILB

    This year, for us, trading down and getting more picks is the best option.
    This.

    It’s tough for me to list by need because there are just so many. With the exception of LT and TE you could make an argument for any other position on the offense. I know we can’t have an All-pro at every position but I can’t remember when the overall talent level on offense was so bad.

    Changing schemes on defense took us from a position of relative strength to a position where we need a NT and some LBs.

    If I had had no choice but to rank needs I think it would be a toss up between NT and anywhere on the o-line. From what I’ve seen there aren’t any top 10 guys at either position. So my preference would be to trade down later into the first and get additional picks. One player, regardless of who that might be, is not going to turn things around for us.

    It’s unfortunate that we have the collective bargaining issues going on right now or we might have been able to take some other steps that could help in the short term. No “big splash” stuff. Just some sensible moves.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin.
    H. L. Mencken

  12. #12
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    11-17-10
    Location
    I live in the warmest city in the coldest province
    Posts
    2,683
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    UTEP

    Default

    I would like to See Sanders (with a reasonable contract) hes hurt a lot but he will have a lot to prove and is a probowl player at safety, however he is more of a strong and we all know landry is NOT a fs.

    things are about to get very interesting indeed.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  13. #13
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    11-17-10
    Location
    I live in the warmest city in the coldest province
    Posts
    2,683
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    UTEP

    Default

    he is not durable but when playing he has been an excellent safety, you dont sign him to a massive deal and you incent the hell out of it, if he plays and plays well he makes money and we do good, if not he makes less and we dont suffer.

    I think some of you siomply dont get it, we will have to chances , we will have to roll the dice on more than a few guys because frankly we have lots of holes to fill and limited resources to do it.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  14. #14
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    12-26-09
    Posts
    587
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    He's injury proned, overpriced and we actually already have a great player (Landry) in his position.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  15. #15
    2016 BGO Survivor Champ

    Join Date
    08-01-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    11,496
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rymanofthenorth View Post

    I think some of you siomply dont get it, we will have to chances , we will have to roll the dice on more than a few guys because frankly we have lots of holes to fill and limited resources to do it.
    Come on man! You are so full of yourself! We all get it Ryman, you are BGO's resident expert on everything football related!

    Look, just because many of us don't share you experience as a player who grasped desperately for greatness but could never be more than just an above average player, doesn't mean we cannot understand certain aspects of the game as you do!

    Case in point, we all understand the need to upgrade this team! It isn't rocket science! Just because someone may disagree with you about Sanders does not mean they can't grasp our need to take a few risks. Just so you know, I would like to see us sign Sanders and let him back Landry up. But is it worth the risk of sending Landry back to FS so we can play Sanders? Is Sanders capable of being a FS? If Sanders comes into TC and blows it up, what do you do with him?

    I agree with a lot of your points Ryman, you are correct to suggest we should take risks!

    But I ask you to do us all a favor! Quit sitting on your lofty perch looking down on the rest of us as if we are not worthy of discussion with you. You really aren't that important!
    Last edited by Elephant; 02-18-11 at 09:25 PM.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  16. #16
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    12-26-09
    Posts
    587
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I agree. We are all just fans here. I personally think it is fun to debate what the Skins need to do and what they shouldn't do during the offseason but just because someone disagrees with me doesn't mean that they don't know what they are talking about. You can take all our philosophies and send them to Shanahan and I guarantee he would think that all of them are not worth his time.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  17. #17
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    11-17-10
    Location
    I live in the warmest city in the coldest province
    Posts
    2,683
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    UTEP

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    Come on man! You are so full of yourself! We all get it Ryman, you are BGO's resident expert on everything football related!

    Look, just because many of us don't share you experience as a player who grasped desperately for greatness but could never be more than just an above average player, doesn't mean we cannot understand certain aspects of the game as you do!

    Case in point, we all understand the need to upgrade this team! It isn't rocket science! Just because someone may disagree with you about Sanders does not mean they can't grasp our need to take a few risks. Just so you know, I would like to see us sign Sanders and let him back Landry up. But is it worth the risk of sending Landry back to FS so we can play Sanders? Is Sanders capable of being a FS? If Sanders comes into TC and blows it up, what do you do with him?

    I agree with a lot of your points Ryman, you are correct to suggest we should take risks!

    But I ask you to do us all a favor! Quit sitting on your lofty perch looking down on the rest of us as if we are not worthy of discussion with you. You really aren't that important!
    you know sometimes your pathetic attempts at insults are a little bit irksome.
    the reason I said some people just don't get it was rather simple even for your apparently feeble minded intellect.

    its because we are trying to fill holes with limited resources that we have to take risks and cant play it safe we do not have that luxury. the point was not about anything specific (ie sanders) its about what we need to do in general, but you are so desperate to find something to argue with me that you grasp at straws,and throw lame little barbs that as usual you miss the entire point while trying to argue a piece of it. truthfully El, you arent that important either, once in a while you manage to make a coherent post or argument but most of the time, you simply try to argue minutiae rather than actuality.

    so from now on, do try to keep the envy out of your posts to me, I get it, you were a benchwarmer in high school, probably didnt get to see the field much and never got to nail the prom queen, now that we have your free therapy session out of the way we can get back to discussing football.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  18. #18
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    11-17-10
    Location
    I live in the warmest city in the coldest province
    Posts
    2,683
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    UTEP

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skinsfan76 View Post
    I agree. We are all just fans here. I personally think it is fun to debate what the Skins need to do and what they shouldn't do during the offseason but just because someone disagrees with me doesn't mean that they don't know what they are talking about. You can take all our philosophies and send them to Shanahan and I guarantee he would think that all of them are not worth his time.
    I never said anyone doesnt know what they are talking about, its all opinion, however some people do have more insight and knowledge and when you ask for opinions you will generally get them. I did say that people need to understand that we dont have the luxury of playing it safe, that we will need to roll the dice, and its annoying that some people will still act like we are the patriots and dont need to be creative.

    and I do often wonder about Shanny, frankly he hasnt shown me anything that would make me assume he knows anything more than the majority of the well informed fans here. Hopefully he changes that this offseason.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  19. #19
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    11-17-10
    Location
    I live in the warmest city in the coldest province
    Posts
    2,683
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    UTEP

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSr619 View Post
    when all we do is throw money at old players, hyped up players and players that have never lived up to their hype why would we sign a player that physically cant stay out on the field?

    seems like going backwards to me..
    I can totally see that point Mike, and if we threw a massive contract at Sanders I would agree, but if we can find some bargains, players who maybe didnt work out elsewhere , but MIGHT here, with some good coaching or even some luck (ie injury prone guys) we have to take those shots, but again, I dont want us throwing huge chancey contracts at iffy players, in that I agree with you completely. if we only play it safe and sign sure things we wont get many free agents because how many will come here for equal money, lets face it, would you rather go to the Patriots or the Redskins if the money was the same?
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  20. #20
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    12-26-09
    Posts
    587
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rymanofthenorth View Post
    and I do often wonder about Shanny, frankly he hasnt shown me anything that would make me assume he knows anything more than the majority of the well informed fans here. Hopefully he changes that this offseason.
    I worry about that too. I think Shanny strengths are in coaching not talent evaluation.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Worst Defenses In History: Where do we rank?
    By KDawg in forum Sons of Washington
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-07-10, 01:57 PM
  2. Fat Al should not see the field again as a 'Skin
    By stevenaa in forum Sons of Washington
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-19-10, 02:28 PM
  3. DC Examiner: Redskins rank low
    By BGO in forum Sons of Washington
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-15-10, 09:03 AM

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •