• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

MMA: UFC, Strikeforce, etc.

Elephant

The Commissioner
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
Any fans out there? Getting ready to watch Fedor fight tonight in the opening of the heavy weight challenge in Stikeforce. I gotta say, I never got the chance to see Fedor fight in Pride, just old tapes, but the man has a right hand like few others. However, since his arrival in Strikeforce I have not been that impressed.

Edit: Fight over, the heralded Fedor was knocked the *** out!

Last edited:
He didn't get KO'd , they stopped it. It was a miracle he got out of that 2nd rd with all that damage. No HW in the UFC could deal with this guy, especially Lesnar.

I knew this was going to be tough for Fedor. That guy is a monster with that giantism disease. He cuts to get to 265 and they say he weighed in at 285 tonight and he's still skinny as hell. Giving up 50 lbs to a skilled fighter like that is just too much.

I just hate this ****, because now Dana White will start running his mouth.

Good thread. I have been a fan since UFC 1, and loved Pride. Fedor is/was one of the greatest ever, but he's getting a little older now.

He didn't get KO'd , they stopped it. It was a miracle he got out of that 2nd rd with all that damage. No HW in the UFC could deal with this guy, especially Lesnar.

I knew this was going to be tough for Fedor. That guy is a monster with that giantism disease. He cuts to get to 265 and they say he weighed in at 285 tonight and he's still skinny as hell. Giving up 50 lbs to a skilled fighter like that is just too much.

I just hate this ****, because now Dana White will start running his mouth.

You are foolish to think Fedor could have done any better in UFC than he did at Strikeforce. He was sluggish in all three fight at Strikeforce and the only reason he won one of the three, was because Brett Rogers is the same hard headed, heavy puncher that Fedor is, just not nearly as hard hitting.

And why shouldn't Dana White talk about the talent he has in UFC? He has some of the world's best. Frank Mir is on the down slide of his career and he could whoop Fedor. Cain would annihilate him! Junior Dos Antos would annihilate Him, Shane Carwin...

Look, I would put a healthy Rashad Evans against Fedor at this stage of the game!

Fedor was treated like a red-headed step child. He came out swinging because he knew he had to catch the big man with the vicious right hand and when he couldn't slow Silva down, he knew he was in trouble. After the fight he looked nothing like a great fighter. He was completely deflated. The ref probably should have stopped that fight. Fedor was lucky Big Foot punched himself out because he never would have been able to with stand another 30 seconds of the pounding he took between th 2:45-1:00 minutes mark. That last minute Silva was too tired to throw many more of those bombs!

I never thought I would find myself defending a ****head like Dana White but he has the most talented fight organization in the world. The talent in the HW division in all the fight leagues I have seen is thin, maybe 5 or 6 top notch fighters. But Strikeforce and this Heavy Weight Grand Prix is comical since out of the 8 only 3 would be top HW's in UFC. You could replace the other 5 with 5 UFC HW's no problem. The one thing I will say is at this stage Allistair Overeem would likely win the HW title in either league. But we'll see if he can make it out of this tournament. The other russian could end up winning. He looked impressive walking right through an over the hill Igor.

Good thread. I have been a fan since UFC 1, and loved Pride. Fedor is/was one of the greatest ever, but he's getting a little older now.

Wasn't the UFC kind of a novelty back then? Its a completely different animal these days.

Wasn't the UFC kind of a novelty back then? Its a completely different animal these days.

It was incredible back then, but for different reasons. And yes, it's completely different today.

The biggest difference back then, is that it was an open competition, with no weight limits, that would all occur in one single night.

So you could see a 160 pound Royce Gracie, going up against a 350 pound brawler. And the winner? They would fight again an hour later against another opponent. And if they won again? An hour later again against another opponent. It was brutal.

It was also the first time that this country was introduced to BJJ, and MMA, thanks to the Gracie family. It was incredible to see everything we now see regularly, for the very first time in the USA.

I will never forget the first one I watched. Royce Gracie against Frank Shamrock! I was so pissed! I was accustomed to boxing and bar room brawls. I had no appreciation for what Gracie introduced to the US. It certainly has come a long way!

I am not a fan of Dana White. He is obviously pompous and arrogant. But he has done a great job with UFC. He says the best thing to ever happen to MMA and the UFC was John McCain's legislation that forced the rules we see today.

And thank God I never have to watch another Tank Abbot fight as long as I live! :laugh:

:rotflmao: @ "take a few more to the dome"

I've never heard that term before. Hysterical!

I can remember sitting around the tv watching the old school tournament style, when kimo beat the hell out of gracie but gracie submitted him and then tapped out of the start of the shamrock fight. or when that sumo guy just dropped fat on the other jiujutsu guy lol. the sport has changed a huge amount, weight classes were the beginning of legitimising the sport but it also changed it completely.

Big fight tonight! A fan favorite, Jon Jones takes on the UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua. Great match up for Jones since he is a long lanky fight with tremendous strength and discipline. Rua is a great fighter in his own right with great striking ability.

Jones is only 23 which is incredibly young for such a well rounded fighter with such discipline and he has earned his popularity with exhibiting great respect for his opponents after he has destroyed them. It has been suggested he is being pushed too far too fast, but I think the kid will beat the veteran of Pride and current UFC Champ, Rua.

Jon "Bones" Jones is a bad man! Congratulations to the new UFC Light Heavy Weight Champion! Shogun never stood a chance!

You are foolish to think Fedor could have done any better in UFC than he did at Strikeforce. He was sluggish in all three fight at Strikeforce and the only reason he won one of the three, was because Brett Rogers is the same hard headed, heavy puncher that Fedor is, just not nearly as hard hitting.

Been away for a while. I wasn't talking about Fedor. I was talking about Antonio Silva. The sky is the limit for this guy. I'm positive he would whip the crap out of Lesnar. He's bigger, has 10 times better stand-up, and is a black belt in BJJ.

Been away for a while. I wasn't talking about Fedor. I was talking about Antonio Silva. The sky is the limit for this guy. I'm positive he would whip the crap out of Lesnar. He's bigger, has 10 times better stand-up, and is a black belt in BJJ.

OK, then forgive me for suggesting you are foolish.

Hey, that big man wore Fedor out, but he has a long way to prove himself than beating an over the hill former champ.

As for Lesnar, unless he trains hard for a year without distraction, like the new Ultimate Fight Challenge, Lesnar will be a great wrestler outmatched in MMA. Wrestlers used to dominate, but not anymore. He needs to learn to strike from a standing position. Until he gets better at striking and gets some BJJ or Muay Tai experience, he is never going to be much more than what we have already seen. His participation in UFC Reality TV shows he is more interested in notoriety than actually being the best he can be. He has the talent, he just needs the experience.

I think you're right. At this moment, Silva could probably take Lesnar.

bones jones walked thru shogun like a hot knife thru butter. he was very calculated, very strong and did everything right. i loved though that after he won he was just sitting there like he couldnt believe it was true. great kid, very humble.

He was almost flawless, but I think he could have ended that fight at the end of the first round. He looked gassed.

i was watching the show before on Spike of his training camp and he was sick for a lot of the time. I agree he looked gassed but he finished him well enough.

Cro Cop should just retire. nobody fears him any more and he is weak/sluggish.

Faber looked like a joke to me as well. he just doesnt impress me any more.

Jones sure did finish him well enough. Rua looked less conditioned for this fight than he did in the Lyoto rematch too, so take that for what it's worth. I am not trying to minimize this kid's ability. I was just surprised he gasses so quickly by the end of the first round.

Cro Cop is a pantie waste! To be honest, I am surprised Dana gave him a fight against Schaub.

Faber...you're right, he wasn't that impressive the other night. He tried to take Wineland down too early and was stuffed repeatedly. He should have just stood up with him early and been more patient for the take down. He won't beat Cruz again. I think his hands are a major concern for him since he broke them against Brown.

Just found out Dana White and the boys from UFC bought Strikeforce. It seemed like not soon enough for Gilbert Melendez as he dropped some vicious elbows, illegal prior to the rules change by the new ownership, to defend his title with a 1st round knockout in the Lightweight Division.

To top the night off, Welterweight Champion Nick Diaz almost got himself in trouble with the rope-a-dope move early in the first round when challenger Paul Daley caught him with a heavy right hand. He fought back to take momentum, but then got rocked again later in the first round. Daley knocked him down, but Diaz showed heart and fought back again to surprise Daley with a shot on the chin that sent Daley wobbling and ultimately down. Diaz jumped on him and finished him off with 5 seconds left in the first round.

I have been watching MMA for a long time now and have seen some great fights. That was perhaps the best single round of fighting I have ever seen in MMA.

Nick Diaz proved me wrong again and I'm a Diaz fan but I keep waiting for his "arms around my waist" taunt to cost him a big shot and get dropped. His jaw must be made of titanium at this point, I've seen him get clocked in the past few fights and keep coming. I think that strategy could cost him as he ages. We've all seen the once iron chin fighters take one good shellacking and then turn to glass.

Nick Diaz proved me wrong again and I'm a Diaz fan but I keep waiting for his "arms around my waist" taunt to cost him a big shot and get dropped. His jaw must be made of titanium at this point, I've seen him get clocked in the past few fights and keep coming. I think that strategy could cost him as he ages. We've all seen the once iron chin fighters take one good shellacking and then turn to glass.

Yeah, he is a cocky S.O.B. with the package to back it up, but if he thinks he can go into the ring with GSP and try those taunt tactics, he will get slaughtered. Paul Daley was the perfect fighter for Diaz to fight that way because Daley is a bit of a hot head. The problem is, Diaz has been doing that as long as I have seen him fight. Remember, he is only 27...young by MMA standards. And you are right, the first time he gets caught by a heavy right hand playing games like that, his chin will get softer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.