• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Caps/NHL Playoff Stretch Thread

• Thread starter Lanky Livingston
  • Start date
This series has the same sort of feeling as last year already. Caps need to really roll and not hope to just get by. The #8 made them pay for it last year. Just hope history will not repeat itself.

I stand by my prediction - Caps had several chances that should have gone in. Rang two posts, Backstrom & Chimera whiffed on open nets, could have easily been 4 or 5 to 1, and ended in regulation. Both goalies were on top of their games last night. Neuvirth really surprised me - I knew he was going to be the starter, but I didn't realize how sharp he was gonna be. Guess he wanted to silence all the critics who were saying Varly should start.

As far as this feeling like last year, no chance. Last year they were playing a totally different type of hockey, and were bailed out by their goaltender to even get to 7 games. If they played last night like they did in round 1 last year, they'd have lost 6-0 or 7-0, like they did the last two times they played NY. Nope, this series feels very winnable - its going to be a lot of close games like that one because of both teams' strong defense and goaltending. Last season you sort of felt the upset coming, because nothing was getting through.

Great win overall last night, and especially great to see Semin break out of his postseason slump. Or it could be just that he dominates the Rangers who were the last team he scored a postseason goal against.

Even though I'd have like to have seen more goals, it's exciting me one a close one against an underrated opposing goalie. If we continue to pepper the net, it's going to break open. Great game from the rook between the pipes tonight, didn't get rattled.

Lundqvist underrated? What NHL have you been watching? He's a lock for Vezina finalist this year, and would probably win it if not for Tim Thomas' slightly more amazing season.

I got to see part of the 3rd and the overtime. We looked pretty dominate during that stretch, things just weren't going in. Of course, the shots on goal were similar. When Ovie had the roughing penalty towards the end of the third, I thought we were screwed, but they pulled it out.

I was at friends house and couldn't hear everything. What were the fans upset with, I think towards the end of OT? I heard something about they wanted the Rangers to get a delay of game penalty, but I could not figure out for what.

Do you think Avery comes in on Friday? Seems like the Rangers need someone to punch Neuvy to help them score. I guess he was not in so they could avoid costly penalties.

Lundqvist underrated? What NHL have you been watching? He's a lock for Vezina finalist this year, and would probably win it if not for Tim Thomas' slightly more amazing season.

While he should be a finalist this year he's been underrated in general. I've ranked him as a top five for the past few years but he doesn't seem to get that appreciation overall. Lundquist keeps the Rangers in contention yet hasn't gotten the recognition that NY doesn't sniff the playoffs without him. I'm not so sure NY finishes near .500 without him.

I got to see part of the 3rd and the overtime. We looked pretty dominate during that stretch, things just weren't going in. Of course, the shots on goal were similar. When Ovie had the roughing penalty towards the end of the third, I thought we were screwed, but they pulled it out.

I was at friends house and couldn't hear everything. What were the fans upset with, I think towards the end of OT? I heard something about they wanted the Rangers to get a delay of game penalty, but I could not figure out for what.

Do you think Avery comes in on Friday? Seems like the Rangers need someone to punch Neuvy to help them score. I guess he was not in so they could avoid costly penalties.

I think you mean game 1? There was a BLATANT hand pass by a Rangers defenseman towards the end of the 3rd to get the puck out of their zone during one of the Caps late-flurries. It was ridiculously blatant, but no call was made.

Caps went out and dominated Friday night, putting a 2-0 whooping on those NY boys. Neuvirth was sparkling, recording his first playoff shutout. The Garden is going to be a real test for these guys, so we'll see how that goes. However if Neuvy continues to play like he is playing, the Rangers shouldn't take much more than 5 games to finish off.

That game was rough from the get go. Cannot believe the Rangers did not score more. Especially with a couple of 5 on 3 chances. Well, yes I can. There offense is lackluster. OV was not playing well at all.

The refs had a hand in the loss yesterday; all series they have pretty much been letting them play until yesterday, when they decided to get all ticky-tack on the Capitals.

At the end of the day, the Caps defense had a breakdown and the Rangers got lucky on their third goal, not much you can do about that. It was really kind of unrealistic to expect them to not win one game in NY, so no big deal. Now if they tie up the series Wednesday night, it might be time to start worrying...

That game was rough from the get go. Cannot believe the Rangers did not score more. Especially with a couple of 5 on 3 chances. Well, yes I can. There offense is lackluster. OV was not playing well at all.

Really? I disagree whole-heartedly. Ovechkin has played his heart out all series, including a 2-point night last night! What constitutes playing well in your opinion, a 4-point night? He didn't seem as physical last night compared to Friday, but he was diving to block shots, still hitting, and the aforementioned 2 points. I thought he played very well last night.

Game 4 is tonight - Caps need to take command of the series by winning this game and giving themselves the fantastic opportunity to close out the Rags at home on Saturday. Personally, I think the will embarrass the Rangers on their home ice tonight - but more than likely it will be another "edge of your seat" kind of game. We will see though.

Not Caps related, but there were 20 goals in two playoff games last night, including a 7-2 thrashing of the Canucks by the Blackhawks, and a thrilling 6-5 OT win by the Sharks against the Kings. San Jose was down 4-0 at one point, and tied it up with a 5 goal 2nd period.

Caps come back from a 3-0 deficit to tie the game and send it to OT. Chimera's game winner in the 2nd OT sends the Caps back to DC leading the series 3-1!

Caps come back from a 3-0 deficit to tie the game and send it to OT. Chimera's game winner in the 2nd OT sends the Caps back to DC leading the series 3-1!

Yeah, last night was the first time in over 10 years I felt that anxiety in the pit of my stomach for the Caps that I feel when the Redskins are in a close game. If things work out, I should be at the game on Saturday.

Go Caps!

Yeah, last night was the first time in over 10 years I felt that anxiety in the pit of my stomach for the Caps that I feel when the Redskins are in a close game. If things work out, I should be at the game on Saturday.

Go Caps!

Crazy...I was on a delay, an accidentally saw a friend's text saying "just turn the game off, don't watch any more." I was disheartened, and then even more so when they were all of a sudden down 3-0. But of course we all know the rest, and it was kind of unbelievable.

The best news is that Wideman is getting better every day, and will most likely be back at some point in round 2, if the Caps don't screw up this 3-1 lead.

Crazy...I was on a delay, an accidentally saw a friend's text saying "just turn the game off, don't watch any more." I was disheartened, and then even more so when they were all of a sudden down 3-0. But of course we all know the rest, and it was kind of unbelievable.

The best news is that Wideman is getting better every day, and will most likely be back at some point in round 2, if the Caps don't screw up this 3-1 lead.

I have seen this happen way too many times.

I didn't get in until the beginning of the 3rd period so I was just like, meh...I won't get so emotionally attached to this game since they're down 3. In a 57 second time span, at around the 16 minute mark they scored two goals. I could sense a come back after the first goal. When they blew the power play opportunity in the 1st OT, I knew they would lose. Then they defended the power play in the 2nd OT and I was just like, UGH!!!

It was a fun ride! And like I said, it had been at least 10 years since I had that feeling about Caps hockey.

While he should be a finalist this year he's been underrated in general. I've ranked him as a top five for the past few years but he doesn't seem to get that appreciation overall. Lundquist keeps the Rangers in contention yet hasn't gotten the recognition that NY doesn't sniff the playoffs without him. I'm not so sure NY finishes near .500 without him.

Well I stand corrected - the Vezina finalists are Luongo (currently suffering another playoff meltdown), Thomas & Rinne.

I miss live Caps games. I miss Langway, Hatcher, Palmateer, Carpenter and Bengt.

Are they tough enough to win it all this year Lanky? They always seem to be a little soft on the physical side of the game.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

What's red, white, and blue, and plays golf in May?

I miss live Caps games. I miss Langway, Hatcher, Palmateer, Carpenter and Bengt.

Are they tough enough to win it all this year Lanky? They always seem to be a little soft on the physical side of the game.

They definitely stepped up their hitting this season, and were in the top-half of the league this year in that regard (12th). The additions of DJ King and Matt Hendricks also added more guys ready to scrap, and both of them did often. Last season w/o an enforcer, it seemed like anyone could do what they wanted to us without repercussions. This year, guys are fighting a lot more. Caps were 10th in PIM this season, a lot of which was due to fighting (let's not get into Sasha Minor's stupid O-Zone penalty habit, lol). Caps were also 4th overall in blocked shots this season, another measure of toughness.

Are they tough enough to win the whole thing? I dunno, the breakdowns (like the ones that lead to a 0-3 deficit Wednesday night) are much fewer, but still bother me a lot. The team is very young, so the only toughness I worry about is mental toughness. The general consensus is b/c of the youth on this squad, they are still a year or two away from *true* Cup contention. I think they will go deep this year, to the ECF at least, maybe even to the final. Will they win it? I'm not sure.

Well I would love to see them win it, and I'm happy to hear that they've added some physical players. When I followed them, that always seemed to be a void for the team. On paper, we often times appeared to have the better players. Then Philly would send out the goons, and we could never get over the hump.

I caught their final playoff series last year, and it appeared the same problem persisted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.