• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

NASA marks 25th anniversary of Challenger accident

Sarge

http://my.earthlink.net/article/top?guid=20110128/178fd4eb-e450-4a7d-8c00-8b7a6e3f8d1c

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — Hundreds gathered at NASA's launch site Friday to mark the 25th anniversary of the Challenger disaster, receiving words of hope from the widow of the space shuttle's commander.

The chilly outdoor ceremony drew space agency managers, former astronauts, past and present launch directors, family and friends of the fallen crew — and schoolchildren who weren't yet born when the space shuttle carrying a high school teacher from Concord, N.H., erupted in the sky.

The accident on Jan. 28, 1986 — just 73 seconds into flight — killed all seven on board, including schoolteacher Christa McAuliffe.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JKIZ7j20EA&feature=player_embedded[/media]

One of those moments one never forgets!

It amazes me that a 17 yr old who thought little of anything other than himself could become so wrapped up in the lift off of our beloved space shuttle. I was glued to the TV in anticipation of the glory of American ingenuity!

I was subsequently crushed by the explosion that shattered that pride and the loss of fellow Americans.

We all learned the hard way the importance of something as simple as an o-ring. Although my life traveled a more self-involved path for years to come until Divine intervention, at that moment I was able to understand what it means to be proud of my country and share in the horror of the loss of the lives of our fellow Americans.

God Bless those men and women who lost their lives that day, along with their families. And God Bless America!

I guess this was my generations "Kennedy" moment. I was stationed in England at the time and being a fan of the space program, I knew it was going up that day. I worked a swing shift and went home and, being in pre-internet days, hadn't heard a word about it until I got home and saw it on BBC.

Reflecting back, I can still feel a bit of the sinking feeling I had when I saw it n the news

One of those moments one never forgets!

It amazes me that a 17 yr old who thought little of anything other than himself could become so wrapped up in the lift off of our beloved space shuttle. I was glued to the TV in anticipation of the glory of American ingenuity!

I was subsequently crushed by the explosion that shattered that pride and the loss of fellow Americans.

We all learned the hard way the importance of something as simple as an o-ring. Although my life traveled a more self-involved path for years to come until Divine intervention, at that moment I was able to understand what it means to be proud of my country and share in the horror of the loss of the lives of our fellow Americans.

God Bless those men and women who lost their lives that day, along with their families. And God Bless America!

I am one of the few who didn't see it happen. I was way up in the snow-covered mountains of the USMC's Mountain Warfare Training Center when it happened. Didn't see the video until weeks after it happened.

Definitely a humbling experience for Americans.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.