• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Oscars!

Lanky Livingston

I love movies, and I love the Academy Awards. Its fun to predict who will win, and bitch about who does win.

Here are this year's nominations:

http://oscar.go.com/nominations

I strongly disagree with "The Kids are Alright." It was a terrible movie, and Bening and Moore's relationship was completely unbelievable in it. Ruffalo was only okay; none of them deserve an acting nod, and the entire movie definitely doesn't deserve a best picture nod.

No bites, huh?

My big 5 Oscars (not predictions, who I think should win - and granted, I haven't seen "The Fighter" yet):

Best Picture: The Social Network
Best Actor: Colin Firth (Jeff Bridges a close 2nd - paid homage to John Wayne with his portrayal of Rooster Cogburn while still adding his own touch)
Best Actress: Jennifer Lawrence (Natalie Portman will win this, deservedly so, but Lawrence's performance was just as good. Either actress would be deserving. Unfortunately Lawrence's small film received a fraction of the publicity Natalie's did).
Supporting Actor: Geoffrey Rush
Supporting Actress: Bonham-Carter

what's your feeling about the rucous being raised over the paucity of nominations for minority actors/directors?

what's your feeling about the rucous being raised over the paucity of nominations for minority actors/directors?

I think there have been some snubs in past years, but this year I think all the right actors/films/directors were nominated. The biggest snub this year was Chris Nolan for Inception in the director category.

I think there have been some snubs in past years, but this year I think all the right actors/films/directors were nominated. The biggest snub this year was Chris Nolan for Inception in the director category.

cool. I'll rely on your expertise as I don't follow the film industry as much as I did in my star gazing youth!

It’s interesting that the list of categories are basically listed in the order of importance with the two writing categories dead last.

Maybe that explains why so many movies are so poorly written.

It’s interesting that the list of categories are basically listed in the order of importance with the two writing categories dead last.

Maybe that explains why so many movies are so poorly written.

well...in a day n age in which ILM can craft multi-million/billion $$$ successes.....why bother?

So if Jeff Bridges wins the Oscar for best actor will it be the first time that two actors have won best actor Oscars for the same movie (John Wayne won it in 1969 for True Grit)?

I love movies, and I love the Academy Awards. Its fun to predict who will win, and bitch about who does win.

Here are this year's nominations:

http://oscar.go.com/nominations

I strongly disagree with "The Kids are Alright." It was a terrible movie, and Bening and Moore's relationship was completely unbelievable in it. Ruffalo was only okay; none of them deserve an acting nod, and the entire movie definitely doesn't deserve a best picture nod.

I haven't seen enough of these to make intelligent guesses, although I just have a feeling 'True Grit' will win best picture, with 'The King's Speech' a dark horse. I do think Jeff Bridges is the frontrunner for Best Actor, and I also see Natalie Portman having a solid shot at Best Actress.

I've still got time to catch some of these flicks, so maybe I'll make that a mission before Feb 27.

So if Jeff Bridges wins the Oscar for best actor will it be the first time that two actors have won best actor Oscars for the same movie (John Wayne won it in 1969 for True Grit)?

I don't know. But, if Bridges wins he will be only the third to win consecutive Best Actor awards. The other two being Tom Hanks & Spencer Tracy.

He won't win. Firth will win for 'The King's Speech.'

Boone said:
I haven't seen enough of these to make intelligent guesses, although I just have a feeling 'True Grit' will win best picture, with 'The King's Speech' a dark horse. I do think Jeff Bridges is the frontrunner for Best Actor, and I also see Natalie Portman having a solid shot at Best Actress.

Actually, 'True Grit' is the dark horse at this point; 'The Social Network' & 'The King's Speech' are neck & neck to win best picture after winning the Golden Globe & SAG awards, respectively. I think The Social Network takes it, but either film is deserving.

Oh, and Portman will win for 'Black Swan,' its the easiest award to handicap out of all of them. The only one who could give her a run for her money is Jennifer Lawrence from 'Winter's Bone,' but even her breakout performance can't compare.

Last edited by a moderator:
No bites, huh?

My big 5 Oscars (not predictions, who I think should win - and granted, I haven't seen "The Fighter" yet):

Best Picture: The Social Network
Best Actor: Colin Firth (Jeff Bridges a close 2nd - paid homage to John Wayne with his portrayal of Rooster Cogburn while still adding his own touch)
Best Actress: Jennifer Lawrence (Natalie Portman will win this, deservedly so, but Lawrence's performance was just as good. Either actress would be deserving. Unfortunately Lawrence's small film received a fraction of the publicity Natalie's did).
Supporting Actor: Geoffrey Rush
Supporting Actress: Bonham-Carter

Finally saw 'The Fighter' this past weekend, and I have to change my best supporting actor pick to Christian Bale. What a performance. Also, I have to change my supporting actress nod to Melissa Leo. Two great supporting performances who pretty much stole the movie. A lot of people were saying Marky Mark got snubbed, but he wasn't even the second-best actor in his own movie.

Finally saw 'The Fighter' this past weekend, and I have to change my best supporting actor pick to Christian Bale. What a performance. Also, I have to change my supporting actress nod to Melissa Leo. Two great supporting performances who pretty much stole the movie. A lot of people were saying Marky Mark got snubbed, but he wasn't even the second-best actor in his own movie.

I finally went to see it as well. I can't say Bale deserves it because I haven't seen the other nominees, but it was an Oscar worthy performance. Man, it reminded me so much of when I watched that HBO special nearly 20 years ago. I had never made the connection. Everyone who is a boxing fan remembers Mickey Ward, I certainly remember the HBO special about his brother. It was kinda cool to see the connection.

Edit: And Mary Wahlberg will never win a Best Actor award. He just isn't that good. He deserves much of his success, but he is not a great actor.

Last edited:
Edit: And Mary Wahlberg will never win a Best Actor award. He just isn't that good. He deserves much of his success, but he is not a great actor.

I'm sure he'll cry himself to sleep on piles of money laying next to super models, lol.

I'm sure he'll cry himself to sleep on piles of money laying next to super models, lol.

And he will marry a woman named Mary. Ha!

He is talented, just not at acting. He has become one heck of a producer, unless they are just attaching his name to different projects he's done that are pretty good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.