• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

WaPo: Snyder on Maturing as an Owner

Goaldeje

The Legend
Reaction score
Alma Mater
James Madison
Interesting read, says all the right things. Most of us in show-me mode though, huh?

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2011/01/snyder_on_maturing_as_an_owner.html
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

"Look at what an owner goes through, and understand that we feel so bad when we disappoint the fans and disappoint the community," Snyder responded. "And this season, we feel like we're close, and then all of the sudden you fold a little bit, and you feel like gosh, we let everyone down. That's a difficult, difficult thing to go through....What you do is obviously you're trying to push to the future as best as you can. You just feel bad. The beauty is you get ready for next season."

I read this quote earlier in another article. That's not exactly what I was hoping to hear from him.

Yeah, that quote bothered me a bit too. Close in what way? Even the most enthusiastic of fans didn’t have us any better than 10-6 and sneaking into the playoffs. I guess I’d like to see the owner a little more….grounded.

As others have said, i wonder how much of his optimism was a direct result of a sale job from Shanahan? Not to let Snyder off the hook, but it seems to me that Shanahan must have thought on some level he could win now when he got here, and I wonder if that was communicated to Danny?

Hopefully, as the season wore on, the obvious was apparent to Danny and Shanny.

If Shanahan had to suggest that the 4-12 Redskins were close to being a good team in order to get the job I think we're in a lot of trouble.

I don't think he did, though. I've been under the impression that Snyder had to sell the Redskins to Shanahan to get him to come here, which is why Snyder hired Bruce Allen.

If Shanahan had to suggest that the 4-12 Redskins were close to being a good team in order to get the job I think we're in a lot of trouble.

I don't think he did, though. I've been under the impression that Snyder had to sell the Redskins to Shanahan to get him to come here, which is why Snyder hired Bruce Allen.

I tend to agree with you, Henry.

The quote given above is uncomfortably familiar. I heard it-rephrased-over and over again and seems to reflect something that hasn't been learned.

There's something else that I've noticed that bothers me concerning the whole McNabb thing. A lot of media articles I've read place Snyder as a major instigator in the acquisition of McNabb in the first place and seem to imply that Shanahan's input in that particular decision making process wasn't the final word on it. That disturbs me, particularly in the light of recent history. I really hope that I'm making a mistaken inference here-after all we can fire Shanahan if need be.

I tend to agree with you, Henry.

The quote given above is uncomfortably familiar. I heard it-rephrased-over and over again and seems to reflect something that hasn't been learned.

There's something else that I've noticed that bothers me concerning the whole McNabb thing. A lot of media articles I've read place Snyder as a major instigator in the acquisition of McNabb in the first place and seem to imply that Shanahan's input in that particular decision making process wasn't the final word on it. That disturbs me, particularly in the light of recent history. I really hope that I'm making a mistaken inference here-after all we can fire Shanahan if need be.

well....let's change the defense next season to a 2-9 and bring in Jake Delhomme. we'll be even closer!!!!!

I don't know. I think they all thought we were closer than we obviously are. I suspect they put much of last years debacle on the shoulders of Zorn, and not more on the talent level. If anything, maybe the presence of Shanahan, a seasoned professional coach, will open Snyder's eyes more to the personnel fiasco this team has been. One can hope. :)

You guys need to stop. Snyder might be reading. He doesn't need any ideas...

Dammit guys...after reading this thread, I think I'll take a nice hot bath..just got to remember to plug in the toaster before I sit down.

BTW, when the alarm clock went off this morning...Sonny and Cher were singing I Got You Babe.........

Dammit guys...after reading this thread, I think I'll take a nice hot bath..just got to remember to plug in the toaster before I sit down.

BTW, when the alarm clock went off this morning...Sonny and Cher were singing I Got You Babe.........

very nice Groundhog Day ref there Diesel!

ultimately the owner has to show some judgment in managing his own franchise.

while no one wants to see the owner thumbing through Athlon's to recommend draft picks to the front office, he has to be able to evaluate his GM and coach against reasonable expectations.

The Redskins finished 6-10 and have precious little outside of Trent Williams and Brandon Banks to point to as new, dynamic younger players who are exibiting talent to help the team move forward.

None of the other picks got on the field regularly. Free agent signees such as Artis Hicks were beat out by players that were seemingly playing out of position on the line.

The defense didn't suit the personnel and yet not ONE investment was made in a defensive player to bring in who had experience in the 3-4 and could provide leadership there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.