A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
Game 12 - Philly. No biggie. Just a season in the balance ...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

    Join Date
    02-01-10
    Location
    Waynesboro, VA
    Posts
    9,169
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    65
    James Madison

    Default WaPo: Snyder on Maturing as an Owner

    Interesting read, says all the right things. Most of us in show-me mode though, huh?

    http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2011/01/snyder_on_maturing_as_an_owner.html
    Posted via BGO Mobile Device
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  2. #2
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-16-09
    Location
    CTU
    Posts
    3,080
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Air Force

    Default

    Too bad he's such a slow learner
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Formerly known as ...............Sarge

  3. #3

    Join Date
    04-12-09
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    4,678
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

    Default

    "Look at what an owner goes through, and understand that we feel so bad when we disappoint the fans and disappoint the community," Snyder responded. "And this season, we feel like we're close, and then all of the sudden you fold a little bit, and you feel like gosh, we let everyone down. That's a difficult, difficult thing to go through....What you do is obviously you're trying to push to the future as best as you can. You just feel bad. The beauty is you get ready for next season."
    I read this quote earlier in another article. That's not exactly what I was hoping to hear from him.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  4. #4

    Vescere bracis meis

    Join Date
    07-15-09
    Location
    Mechanicsville, VA
    Posts
    807
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    VCU

    Default

    Yeah, that quote bothered me a bit too. Close in what way? Even the most enthusiastic of fans didn’t have us any better than 10-6 and sneaking into the playoffs. I guess I’d like to see the owner a little more….grounded.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin.
    H. L. Mencken

  5. #5

    Join Date
    02-01-10
    Location
    Waynesboro, VA
    Posts
    9,169
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    65
    James Madison

    Default

    As others have said, i wonder how much of his optimism was a direct result of a sale job from Shanahan? Not to let Snyder off the hook, but it seems to me that Shanahan must have thought on some level he could win now when he got here, and I wonder if that was communicated to Danny?

    Hopefully, as the season wore on, the obvious was apparent to Danny and Shanny.
    Posted via BGO Mobile Device
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  6. #6

    Join Date
    04-12-09
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    4,678
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

    Default

    If Shanahan had to suggest that the 4-12 Redskins were close to being a good team in order to get the job I think we're in a lot of trouble.

    I don't think he did, though. I've been under the impression that Snyder had to sell the Redskins to Shanahan to get him to come here, which is why Snyder hired Bruce Allen.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  7. #7

    Join Date
    06-30-09
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    3,569
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Indiana

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    If Shanahan had to suggest that the 4-12 Redskins were close to being a good team in order to get the job I think we're in a lot of trouble.

    I don't think he did, though. I've been under the impression that Snyder had to sell the Redskins to Shanahan to get him to come here, which is why Snyder hired Bruce Allen.
    I tend to agree with you, Henry.

    The quote given above is uncomfortably familiar. I heard it-rephrased-over and over again and seems to reflect something that hasn't been learned.

    There's something else that I've noticed that bothers me concerning the whole McNabb thing. A lot of media articles I've read place Snyder as a major instigator in the acquisition of McNabb in the first place and seem to imply that Shanahan's input in that particular decision making process wasn't the final word on it. That disturbs me, particularly in the light of recent history. I really hope that I'm making a mistaken inference here-after all we can fire Shanahan if need be.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    I'm giving it a 2-4 year window. Looking for improvement in all areas. Redskins, you're on the clock.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    07-22-09
    Posts
    7,589
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by servumtuum View Post
    I tend to agree with you, Henry.

    The quote given above is uncomfortably familiar. I heard it-rephrased-over and over again and seems to reflect something that hasn't been learned.

    There's something else that I've noticed that bothers me concerning the whole McNabb thing. A lot of media articles I've read place Snyder as a major instigator in the acquisition of McNabb in the first place and seem to imply that Shanahan's input in that particular decision making process wasn't the final word on it. That disturbs me, particularly in the light of recent history. I really hope that I'm making a mistaken inference here-after all we can fire Shanahan if need be.
    well....let's change the defense next season to a 2-9 and bring in Jake Delhomme. we'll be even closer!!!!!
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  9. #9
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-15-09
    Location
    Burleson, TX
    Posts
    1,214
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    I don't know. I think they all thought we were closer than we obviously are. I suspect they put much of last years debacle on the shoulders of Zorn, and not more on the talent level. If anything, maybe the presence of Shanahan, a seasoned professional coach, will open Snyder's eyes more to the personnel fiasco this team has been. One can hope.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  10. #10
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    11-17-10
    Location
    I live in the warmest city in the coldest province
    Posts
    2,684
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    UTEP

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fansince62 View Post
    well....let's change the defense next season to a 2-9 and bring in Jake Delhomme. we'll be even closer!!!!!
    we can probably get him for a 3rd rounder, for s starting QB thats a helluva deal! he was in the pro bowl you know.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  11. #11

    Join Date
    02-01-10
    Location
    Waynesboro, VA
    Posts
    9,169
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    65
    James Madison

    Default

    You guys need to stop. Snyder might be reading. He doesn't need any ideas...
    Posted via BGO Mobile Device
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  12. #12

    NFL Pickem Champion 2015

    Join Date
    08-04-09
    Location
    Sparta,NC
    Posts
    2,629
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

    Default

    Dammit guys...after reading this thread, I think I'll take a nice hot bath..just got to remember to plug in the toaster before I sit down.

    BTW, when the alarm clock went off this morning...Sonny and Cher were singing I Got You Babe.........
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  13. #13

    Join Date
    07-22-09
    Posts
    7,589
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DieselPwr44 View Post
    Dammit guys...after reading this thread, I think I'll take a nice hot bath..just got to remember to plug in the toaster before I sit down.

    BTW, when the alarm clock went off this morning...Sonny and Cher were singing I Got You Babe.........
    very nice Groundhog Day ref there Diesel!
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  14. #14
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-19-09
    Location
    Bethesda Md
    Posts
    6,757
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

    Default

    ultimately the owner has to show some judgment in managing his own franchise.

    while no one wants to see the owner thumbing through Athlon's to recommend draft picks to the front office, he has to be able to evaluate his GM and coach against reasonable expectations.

    The Redskins finished 6-10 and have precious little outside of Trent Williams and Brandon Banks to point to as new, dynamic younger players who are exibiting talent to help the team move forward.

    None of the other picks got on the field regularly. Free agent signees such as Artis Hicks were beat out by players that were seemingly playing out of position on the line.

    The defense didn't suit the personnel and yet not ONE investment was made in a defensive player to bring in who had experience in the 3-4 and could provide leadership there.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Redskins owner Snyder unhappy with McNabb fiasco
    By Sarge in forum Sons of Washington
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 12-30-10, 03:57 PM
  2. WaPo SportsBog: Snyder Takes Responsibility for Zorn Hiring
    By Yusuf06 in forum Sons of Washington
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-05-10, 07:52 PM
  3. WaPo: What Snyder could learn from Steinbrenner
    By Yusuf06 in forum Sons of Washington
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-07-09, 02:12 PM

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •