• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Surprise everyone, state your political affiliation

Yes, I have spent considerable time in Barrow which is the farthest north city in Alaska.

There is evidence (both scientific and anecdotal) that the polar ice is thinning. On the other hand there is evidence that the ice pack over the Antarctic is thickening.

The reality is that even the entire industrial age has is too short a time period to come to any conclusion about any trends much less conclusion about causes. Is the rapid conversion of stored CO2 in the form of carbon based fuels into the atmosphere problematic? Perhaps but we don’t know its relative effect into climate change (which is occurring and has always occurred) compared to other factors such as solar activity.

The problem I see around the Climate Change hysteria (and there is no other word for it) is that the proposed cures are often worse than the assumed decease. For example, our use of bio-fuels has been an economic and environmental disaster that even Al Gore has been forced to recognize. When you ask global warming alarmists what the environmental impacts of large scale use of wind and solar power is they think you are nuts but have no answers.

I even asked a so-called solar expert (and global warming acolyte) what impact snow would have on the ability of a solar panel to absorb UV rays he said it is water and would go right through it. I guess he had never gotten a sunburn after laying on an air mattress in a swimming pool. When I pointed this out he started calling me an idiot.

Alaska used to be the home of cold blooded dinosaurs. The polar bear evolved from the brown bear as an adaptation to a colder climate. (They are still close enough related to breed successfully.) So things change. So we need to react in a measured way, recognizing that we don’t in fact know the answers and we need to make sure that any proposed cures are not worse than the disease. We also need to understand that climate scientists are not necessarily unbiased when they study climate change. Look up Spotted Owl and Eastern Barred Owl and old growth forests and ask yourself why they only “discovered” the Barred Owl’s impact on the spotted owl after logging in old growth forests was stopped.

Last edited:
some interesting things, I gotta ask the people who dont believe in climate change, have you ever been to the far north? Alaskan have you ever been to the arctic? I have I used to build Ice bridges, Ice roads and such a few years ago for my dads company and the fact is that there has been significant change to the climate up there.

I do know that calling it global warming was confusing to the average person because in fact much of the change was more about variance than actual warming but that was a change for the average person. either way, its been very badly presented in my opinion.

anyway aside from the jokes, some of which were funny, its very interesting to get a better idea of what people really believe, I am considered to be quite liberal where I am from but in the city I am considered to be a huge conservative lol. our party system actually divides on those lines, you are either a Tory or a liberal in alberta and we are predominantly conservative, the east of canada is mostly liberal.

Ryman, just out of curiosity, are there any Socreds left-that somewhat odd political party that used to be popular in B.C.?

Serv, not since just after I was in highschool, maybe 1994 or so? they disolved after not winning enough seats to retain party status, they had some scandal or something.

Alaskan, to be candid, I have discussed this with David Suzuki, a very knowledgeable guy, he is friends with my dad, I don't know a lot of the sciencey mumbo jumbo but I know the argument is usually about cycles etc etc, all I know Is that the north has changed a lot in my lifetime, and thats bugger all on a planetary scale. the only time I have ever been to Alaska was in 1997 I went to Kodiak Island, its not much different than where I am from, just warmer and less mosquitos.

Wow, Alaskan and I are almost totally on the same page politically.

Man without a Party

I am an old fashioned, but non-racist Southern Democrat. The Democratic Party left me after LBJ. The stance on abortion (don't tell me you are not killing a human being), the willingness to spend taxpayer money for unaffordable programs (we are headed toward Greece), the belief that Unions should have more power, etc.

Never will be a Republican, but tend to vote for them more than Democrats now. I am a Christian, but the self-righteous attitude of the Christian Right is repulsive. What is good for big business is good for the country is not always correct. The idea that we lower taxes while keeping a huge deficit (Greece again) is crazy.

I'm thoroughly progressive. Totally culture driven. I am not bound by transcendent truths or the imperfect pursuit of virtue. I define who and what I am in each instance and am only interested in asserting my rights.

I'm thoroughly progressive. Totally culture driven. I am not bound by transcendent truths or the imperfect pursuit of virtue. I define who and what I am in each instance and am only interested in asserting my rights.

Dammit, fansince, I hate it when Diet Pepsi goes up my nose!

Ok here goes, rememebr though I am in Scotland so some of my terminology might not mean what you think it means at first glance.

I am a Nationalist, that's Scottish nationalist, in that I want a free and independant country of my own that is not answerible to London or the rest of Europe.

I believe in the right to free speach and self determination but recogonise that the majority view and rights can be more important than individual rights.

I want the UK to opt out of the European Human rights legislation that is currently ruining us.

At heart i believe in looking after your own first before you look after others, with one exception. If your best friend and staunchiest Ally for as long you can recall asks for help you give that help (almost without questioning why).

I believe every person is entitled to their own political and religious views. I will fight for their right to have them and respect their stance even if I do not agree with it, as long as they do likewise and do not tell me that I am wrong. Especialy religion, we all believe and worship how we feel is best for ourselfs. Our personal relationship with God is just that a personall thing. You do yours I'll do mine thank you very much.

I believe in capitol punishment

I believe if a cop says stop or i will shoot and you do not stop they can shoot you no need for 40 warnings and 6 translators before realising the person is gone.

Apeasement has never worked in history and never will sooner Politicians realise this the better.

If you contribute to the greater good of your country, then when your down on your luck of course the the country will help you. But if you never contribute why expect aid?

Finaly be thankful America, very thankful you do have the English as neighbours and Europe handing down directives left right and centre

Ok here goes, rememebr though I am in Scotland so some of my terminology might not mean what you think it means at first glance.

I am a Nationalist, that's Scottish nationalist, in that I want a free and independant country of my own that is not answerible to London or the rest of Europe.

Sorry, couldn't help it!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr_OpFxCx-A[/media]

I believe in capitol punishment

Why would you punish the capitol? What did the building ever do to you?

(Sorry, just trying to keep the thread light :) )

Sorry, couldn't help it!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr_OpFxCx-A[/media]

Why would you punish the capitol? What did the building ever do to you?

(Sorry, just trying to keep the thread light :) )

I was going to finish with that quote but though why waste someone fun. I will leave the door open for someone to enjoy it.

As for capitol my dyslexia struck again what can say except sorry, now can I have my FFFFFFRRRRRREEEEEEDDDDDOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM

Things I believe.....

- Capital punishment should be extended to cover crimes other than murder. I don't believe a rapist or chronic pedophile should be allowed to live with what they've done, and I think the Bernie Madoffs of the world that ruin lives and choose jail over suicide should also be executed.

- I believe shock and awe is a better route than "talking" when it comes to extremist regimes such as Iran and North Korea, although I understand there are concerns in cases like North Korea where we'd have China to contend with if we attacked them.

- I believe in freedom of speech, and I believe that should cover speech. If you want freedom of expression, which never has been and isn't the same thing, then you should petition your Congressman to make a bill, because people get away with way too much under the veil of free speech.

- I believe the United States should nationalize oil for the good of the country. I don't appreciate how we do business with companies like BP and Citgo who have so many dealings around the world that any minor world even raises our fuel prices. I believe we should drill our own and use our own.

- I believe we should cut off all trade with China until they can grasp the true concept of fair trade and quit raping us with their over inflated currency valuations.

- I am against free trade. I do not believe that it benefits us in any way, and I posted pages upon pages of statistics when we had the PA to back this truth up. It costs us money and jobs.

- I am in favor of reducing or eliminating corporate tax to draw more businesses back to the United States. This would create millions of jobs overnight, but our government seems hell bent on convincing the populace that money is evil and all corporations and rich people should be punished, so we suffer as a people while they continue to attempt to drive home their invalid point at the expense of the country.

- We should end the war on drugs. We would save hundreds of billions of dollars, and with taxation and regulation, we could turn a negative into a gain and allocate that income for programs to better the country. Besides, without the forbidden fruit factor, drug use would drop significantly. Drug use in every single country where it is legal, is way less than where it is illegal.

- I believe a woman has the right to chose if she wants an abortion, but I believe she should have good cause. If a woman says she doesn't want a kid, or she can't afford it, adoption is a better option. When it comes to health issues, incest or rape, she should have that right to abort the child.

- I believe gay couples should get to decide for themselves whether to get married or not. Save the talking points, nothing they do, including calling it marriage, will have any effect on your day to day life, no matter how much you stomp your feet and act like it will.

- I believe in term limits for all elected officials. Nobody should get to stay in office forever, because then they work for their pockets instead of the people.

- Tort reform. Anyone who doesn't believe this is completely necessary is a damn fool, and there is no explanation to support otherwise that makes any sense.

- I believe we should stick with what regulations we have in place right now, then abolish the EPA. If not abolishment, then at least cut their balls off and don't give them full control to make their own regulations with no oversight, just because they say so. Everybody should have to answer to somebody.

- I believe we should increases military and education spending, not cut it off.

- I am against universal health care in any form. I am poor and always have been, so nobody can say I am biased. It just isn't sustainable, and it isn't a right everyone should just be handed.

- I don't think we should ever give aid for any reason to any country who is hostile toward us, or has a long history of being hostile toward us, no matter the reason for the aid request. It is never appreciated, and it is used as a source for them to not have to do anything for themselves. North Korea wants to quit starving? Overthrow the Communist regime that eats great and spends billions on themselves instead of helping the people. For countries like China, aid should count as payment towards debt. If it doesn't, no aid.

I'm sure there are plenty of issues I'm leaving out, but these are the most important to me, and it's a perfect example of why I refuse to be labeled as either a Republican or a Democrat, because I don't fit as either one, and I vote for both.

- I am against universal health care in any form. I am poor and always have been, so nobody can say I am biased. It just isn't sustainable, and it isn't a right everyone should just be handed.

I keep on getting told how lucky I am in the UK that we have the National Health Service (NHS) and that gives us free health care. My friends that is the biggest myth that my government has been putting out since Nevile Chamberlain said he secured peace in our time.

I pay 7% of my salary every month in what is called national insurance. My employer (in this case the NHS) has to match that contribution. This money goes straight to the govt (supposidly to fund said NHS). Free health care is a myth. What we have is a system that is free at the point of use. But hey if your not working no worries you get it free.

Oh but if i want dental work thats subsidised but not free (unless your out of work)

If i want eye work thats not free (unless your out of work)

Free health care a myth that governments need to come clean on someone always has to pay

I keep on getting told how lucky I am in the UK that we have the National Health Service (NHS) and that gives us free health care. My friends that is the biggest myth that my government has been putting out since Nevile Chamberlain said he secured peace in our time.

I pay 7% of my salary every month in what is called national insurance. My employer (in this case the NHS) has to match that contribution. This money goes straight to the govt (supposidly to fund said NHS). Free health care is a myth. What we have is a system that is free at the point of use. But hey if your not working no worries you get it free.

Oh but if i want dental work thats subsidised but not free (unless your out of work)

If i want eye work thats not free (unless your out of work)

Free health care a myth that governments need to come clean on someone always has to pay
My father in law found out he needed his gallbladder removed, and had it done 3 days later. Would that be possible with the system you guys have, or is the wait as long as people over here claim it is?

Oh, it's the same here as far as people out of work getting everything for free.

I consider myself a republican because of my beliefs in how the government should be structured, and what it should/shouldn't provide. However, I find myself embarrassed to say I'm a republican because:
- i think religion has no place in government or education
- i think abortion should be allowed in the way it is now, no more restrictions
- i think gays should be allowed to marry, and the hatred republicans show towards the gay community is disgraceful
- racism is alive and well, but affirmative action is no longer needed and is racist itself
- i have no problem with a mosque being built in new york city, around the 9/11 site. i think people that do are (at best) misplacing their hatred of terrorism on a community that has nothing to do with terrorism, or (at worst) are just blind bigots and racists.
- the republican party in general has been taken over by crazy people who feel the need to impose their personal morals (often formed from a specific religious belief) and that we need to thoroughly cleanse the party of these people if we have any interest in being a relevant, 'better' party again.
- in general i hate the republican theme of 'if you disagree with us then you hate <insert object>', ie: if you don't like the wars you hate america, if you don't want abortion completely outlawed you hate babies, if you are ok with a mosque in NYC then you hate americans an are a terrorist sympathizer.
- the buzz word 'job creators' is an embarrassment to any republican with half a brain, the idea that we should 'protect' the super wealthy and elite because they are somehow 'job creators' is laughable.

My father in law found out he needed his gallbladder removed, and had it done 3 days later. Would that be possible with the system you guys have, or is the wait as long as people over here claim it is?

Oh, it's the same here as far as people out of work getting everything for free.

It would depend on a few factors

Firstly how life threatening it was.

secondly where in the country he was.

Supposidly the urgent cases get delt with first, but that depends on availibility of surgeons etc.

Here is the crazy part. If I decide to take out private health cover, I still have to pay national insurance. So I say let as many people take private cover as they want it because the system still gets there money and if there not using it more the power to us

I believe our children are the future. Teach them well and let them lead the way.

I believe our children are the future. Teach them well and let them lead the way.
I cringe when I hear people say this, then vow to reelect Obama. I honestly don't know if you're a big supporter or not, because I don't recall ever hearing you go in all out defense of his views, so please don't take it as a knock on you, I just mean when I hear it from someone who I know is obsessed with Obama.

Case in point - My neighbor has 6 kids and LOOOOOVES Obama. He is always making the same statement about children being our future. When I ask him how he can say that, but support a guy who is making sure our children are left with nothing but a massive debt and burden and no fighting chance, I get the blank stare. I never say it to provoke an argument or debate, I am just genuinely baffled by it.

affirmative action is no longer needed and is racist itself
I have been called a blind, ignorant racist every time I have ever uttered these same words. But it is a fact.

affirmative action is called positive descrimination over here.

Go work that out

Non-affiliated.

I agree with some things in every political platform there is.

I also hold stances that exclude me from being a card carrying member of any of them.

Choosing between the big two, is an exercise of picking the lesser of two evils.

Both sides are full of bat-**** crazy, partisan, habitual liars.

To me, the R's are the lesser of two evils, on most issues.

Third party candidates are usually just rejects from the big two.

The only hope for all of mankind, is to elect me "Emperor For Life".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.