• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Great Movies That Others Might Enjoy, Or Ones To Avoid

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
I thought this would be a good thread for fellow members to mention any great movies they have seen recently--or ones to avoid.

I would propose movies currently out at theaters, or just recently at theaters. Hopefully this can at least save people a few hours of pain one evening--and can direct them to movies worth seeing.:)

Also, if anyone is considering going to a current movie, this might be a good place to ask the opinions of others.

So what's out that's absolutely awesome right now? Or what did you just see that you hated?

I'll start with a pretty obvious one on the good side--True Grit. On a scale of 1-10, I rate it 8 or 9. I believe it's a pretty safe bet for anyone. If you haven't seen it yet, you would likely enjoy it.

Please share any thoughts on movies currently out that people must see, or must stay away from.

Last edited:
True Grit was very very good. I liked the original a lot, and I'm a big fan of The Duke, but I thought this one was better.

Tron Legacy wasn't bad. As long as you aren't expecting a plot it was a fun light show. A good one to see with medium-sized kids.

True Grit was 10 out of 10 - awesome movie.

The King's Speech was phenomenal; you'd think it would be slow, but its not at all. The dialog and acting are superb. There will be multiple Oscars for this film.

The new Harry Potter is also really good. The series really gets dark here, and the movie reflects that. I just hate waiting until June to see the conclusion.

Also, merge. Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

true grit was oustanding and im a John wayne fan who went in with a jaundiced eye.

you guys want to see an amazing movie that nobody else saw? Im serious, the best movie ive seen in a decade and I only watched it because a friend told me about it.....

The Fall, its about a 1920's stuntman who gets paralysed, and is in the hospital with a migrant workers 6 year old daughter who has fallen while picking fruit, the whole story is him telling her a story to pass the time and the contrast between him telling the story and her seeing it in her mind is honestly amazing. You could watch it with kids, or with the wife, but trust me, its stunning visually and storywise. It got killed by the studio screwing it over. absolutely amazing movie.

True Grit was 10 out of 10 - awesome movie.

The King's Speech was phenomenal; you'd think it would be slow, but its not at all. The dialog and acting are superb. There will be multiple Oscars for this film.

The new Harry Potter is also really good. The series really gets dark here, and the movie reflects that. I just hate waiting until June to see the conclusion.

Also, merge. Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

Thanks for posting this. My mom tried to get me to see King's Speech with her on Xmas day. But I was worried that it may have been a chick flick.

Glad to hear that it isn't. I'll check it out now.

Saw Black Swan last night. CRAZY TOWN. Man that's a twisted film, but Natalie Portman definitely put on the performance of her career. I love a good psychological thriller. It has a lot of ballet in it, but it also has Portman and Kunis hooking up, so...

Yeah, not a big fan of ballet.

However, a huge fan of Kunis wearing anything tight.

We saw The Tourist, with Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie, last week. Thoroughly enjoyable movie.

On a side note, we saw it somewhere new for us, Gold Class Cinemas. I doubt most of you live near a location since there are so few of them at the moment and none in the greater DC area but I have to tell you, it was an experience. No crowds, no lines, no talking through my movie, no one kicking my seat and I had great food combined with adult beverages. Was it cheap? No, it wasn't but after figuring out what a night at a normal movie combined with going somewhere for dinner would have cost us, the difference wasn't much and it was well worth it. If you have the chance to try one, I highly recommend it.

Well, due to time restraints last night, I chose Little Fockers instead of something I would rather have seen.

Sucked! I wanted to punch Streisand in the face! She was the voice of reason in the movie. That should tell you all you need to know about it.

Shame too because the first one was great, the second was decent, but the third sucked arse!

Well, due to time restraints last night, I chose Little Fockers instead of something I would rather have seen.

Sucked! I wanted to punch Streisand in the face! She was the voice of reason in the movie. That should tell you all you need to know about it.

Shame too because the first one was great, the second was decent, but the third sucked arse!

I figured the third one would suck. I thought the second one sucked, also. Decent...maybe. It had its moments I suppose.

That place looks incredible Neo. I can't wait for them to come to Orlando. What a great idea for a business.

That place looks incredible Neo. I can't wait for them to come to Orlando. What a great idea for a business.

Yeah, we were thrilled. Great wine list of with more options than any but the most high end restaurants my wife and I visit (and we do a couple of seriously high end places every now and then), 15 to 18 different beers on tap and another 2 dozen available by the bottle (granted, they did have Bud Light on tap but this is Texas and every place as that, no matter how nice), and pretty good menu of things to chose from.

We had calamari along with a glass of wine for an appetizer while waiting for our theater to open up for seating. It came with a custom wasabi sauce that was to die for. Then we ordered dinner just before going into the movie and that came to our seats just before the previews ran. About 40 minutes in, my wife decided she needed water so we pushed the call button, someone showed up at our seats in seconds and a few minutes later we had our water.

They take your credit card info as you come in so at the end of the night there is only a tab to sign and you are done. Just leave it on your seat when you leave.

We won't do it every month but then even before we had kids we didn't do movies in the theater every month. I am guessing we will do this 3 to 6 times a year, when there are movies we are interested in.

True Grit was good....but not great. I still think I like the original better. King's Speech was very entertaining and easy to watch....Both Colin Firth and Jeffery Rush will be up for awards. The Fighter was REALLY great.....and Christian Bale will VERY likely win Best Actor for it. Amazing job. Inception was a lot of fun......I was a little disappointed cause I'd heard SO many great things about it. Still worth seeing, though. The Town was SOOO much better than expected. Ben Affleck did a great job directing and, even with the plot holes, it was still a good movie. Of course, I do love Toy Story 3 and How To Train Your Dragon........and Despicable Me plays alot at our house as well. Black Swan is on my list to see......I'm looking forward to seeing it if only just for Natalie Portman's performance. Before Black Swan, though, I want to see The Way Back with Ed Harris and Colin Farrell. Looks interesting.

No way Bale will win Best Supporting Actor over Rush. Actually, my prediction is that Firth and Rush will sweep Best Actor. Bonham-Carter has a pretty good shot at Supporting Actress also, although I think the woman who play's Natalie Portman's mom will win that one.

Well, tried another comedy tonight to no avail. I should have known better than to attend a PG-13 comedy on a Friday night. Between the chattering kids behind me and the movie being rather blah, I had to walk out of the Dilemma. I wanted to try something different tonight so I went with the misses, her choice. I told her once before she lost her movie choice privileges, but I gave her a second chance. It's over! She never chooses again! :)

The Dilemma was not good for the 1st 30 minutes. I walked out.

El, im serious download or buy "the fall" I have watched it 4 times now, once with the gf and her little girl, once with my 12 year old niece, and once with my buddy and his kids and once by myself, its that good. Your kids will love it and im pretty sure you will like the adult part of the story (the best part is that the way the little girl in the movie sees the story in her head is NOT how the guy is telling it) its very very good.

El, im serious download or buy "the fall" I have watched it 4 times now, once with the gf and her little girl, once with my 12 year old niece, and once with my buddy and his kids and once by myself, its that good. Your kids will love it and im pretty sure you will like the adult part of the story (the best part is that the way the little girl in the movie sees the story in her head is NOT how the guy is telling it) its very very good.

Sounds like something I will give a shot.

I am here to save your weekend. This is a labor of love.

Whatever you do, no matter how bored you may become, or in spite of whatever you may read.....do NOT go see the new movie "Drive."

That is the slowest, most boring piece of trash I have seen in ten years.

Give me a root canal. No. Make it a double. I would have preferred almost anything over that miserable 2 hours plus.

I saw not one, but two movies today. What can I say - cold, rainy, dreary day. Wife working. Son at home with nothing to do.

We saw 'Apollo 18'...interesting premise, but reminded me of some fairly lame 1970's era horror movies. Can't say I'd recommend it.

We also saw 'Contagion' which was worth seeing. Not the usual 'death virus kills the world' movie. I was expecting something along the lines of Dustin Hoffman in 'Outbreak'. But they played this much more 'straight' than I'd anticipated. Almost too straight if you want to know the truth. But has a good cast and enough going on to make it interesting. On the plus side, Gwyneth Paltrow dies almost immediately. I figure that was payback from God for that horrendous and self-indulgent Glee cameo. On the downside, not only did they do their best to make Kate Winslet plain and drab (and that takes some effort), she didn't even kiss anyone, much less disrobe. Boo! Hiss!

I saw the Debt recently. Great movie. I typically do not like movies that go back and forth between time periods, but they did an excellent job on this one. I highly recommend it.

Also went to the Dollar theater and saw Super 8. Loved it. One of my favorite movies of the year. Can't wait to watch it again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.