• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Great Movies That Others Might Enjoy, Or Ones To Avoid

Well saw 'The Martian' last night.

LOVED it. :D

Call me a soppy bugger but it really touched me in places and I felt quite emotional. My other have had some tears. And it was way funnier than I expected it to be.
And the cinematography is gorgeous.

I kind wish I'd seen it in IMAX 3D now as I'd imagine it looks spectacular.

We had a good night at a local cinema called the Everyman Cinema, where you sit in sofas and it's a super dark theatre and there's drink and food service to your seats. It wasn't cheap, but it was really good! We only went as we'd had tickets for a wedding present, but I'd go again for special occasions I think.

(And when I say 'it wasn't cheap' we're talking about $20 per ticket, $5 for a small bottle of Coke and $5 for a small box of Malteasers too. And the parking was another $12 for 4 hours. The whole evening would have cost us about $75, where as our local cinema which is within walking distance would have cost us maybe $25 tops!)

Don't throw rocks at me - but I don't get the Star Wars thing. Enjoyed the first couple but the later ones just never really did it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that's your good cinematic taste telling you you're ok.

Don't throw rocks at me - but I don't get the Star Wars thing. Enjoyed the first couple but the later ones just never really did it for me.

I enjoyed the originals, could care less about the prequels.

I'm a bit of a Sci Fi nut in general and I like Star Wars, but not obsessively. I have friends who've already pre-booked their tickets for the opening night too.

I'll see it, I very much want to see it, but I'm not averse to waiting a week or two till it's calmed down a little. :)

Echo.

The originals were FUN. They were character-based. They were accessible, light, and actually made you care about a walking rug.

The "prequels" were cold. They were CGI- and spectacle-based. There were dense, dark, and had writing and dialogue so cringingly flat and awful it seemed is if they TRIED to make it so. I feel perhaps Mr. Lucas was poking a finger in our eye.

See here? I have made more Star Wars. It is pretty. You will watch it even though I wasted no time writing a script.

Seeing the introduction of yoda, boba, Vader, a planet of wookies, and the emperor was damn cool. Granted they weren't the originals or the best, but outside of episode 1 (that I refuse to watch to this day) they were damn good.

I think that is exactly why I have more hope for these next sequels.

JJ Abrams is someone who clearly LOVES the universe and is relishing the chance to play in it. Bringing back the original cast was a masterstroke, as was doing everything (or as much as possible) on real sets rather than green screen.

I get a good vibe from this film so far. I think it'll be the biggest film of the year so far.

Which makes 2015 a HUGE year for films.

We've already had 3 Billion Dollar films (Furious7 1.5bil, Avengers AoU 1.6bil and Jurassic World - 1.6bil) and I reckon both Bond and SW's will get to that hallowed ground too. That'll make 5 billion dollar movies in one year beating the 4 we saw in 2012. Not sure when we'll see that again.

(I'm a crazy movie buff if you couldn't tell! My wife threatens me with death everytime I go near a shop to buy more BluRays!)

Seeing the introduction of yoda, boba, Vader, a planet of wookies, and the emperor was damn cool. Granted they weren't the originals or the best, but outside of episode 1 (that I refuse to watch to this day) they were damn good.

I liked the geek nods in there, but something about those films just feels sterile...

I really dislike the first one. The next two are better but still not great movies. They can't stand toe to toe with the originals for me. :)

Well, it's like when people try to compare anything to a legend...it's always short.

Echo.

The originals were FUN. They were character-based. They were accessible, light, and actually made you care about a walking rug.

The "prequels" were cold. They were CGI- and spectacle-based. There were dense, dark, and had writing and dialogue so cringingly flat and awful it seemed is if they TRIED to make it so. I feel perhaps Mr. Lucas was poking a finger in our eye.

See here? I have made more Star Wars. It is pretty. You will watch it even though I wasted no time writing a script.

I agree with this... the prequels were crap & they were made more crap by George Lucas taking a compelling story and injecting it with his own midichlorian-laced BS... This is basically how I feel George RR Martin will end Game of Thrones novels... he'll take a classic and epic tale and interject his own psychotic imagination on it. They have just enough brilliance to make something appealing to the masses, but then inevitably people learn how unlikable these unique authors/directors/story tellers really are deep down as we learn more about them.

This is why it's good Disney takes over... With Kathleen Kennedy & a list of really great directors and writers who all love Star Wars... You won't be subject to George Lucas' warped vision... No one individual will hold the public hostage to their vision. I'm excited, not just to see JJ Abrams, but also to see an emphasis on "war" in Rogue One, which will almost feel like Saving Private Ryan in the Star Wars Universe... You will have the Skywalker Saga played out in the Star Wars movies, then you'll have the Anthology movies with a younger Han Solo & Boba Fett... Maybe we'll see how Chewbacca was saved by Han Solo and how the life debt between the two happened. There is a lot of content here, and the same company that brought on young directing talent like the Russo Brothers, Whedon, Gunn, & Favreau... and who used classical directors like Kenneth Branagh to direct Thor... We'll see them cobble together great directors like Rian Johnson (Looper) for episode 8, Christopher Miller & Phil Lord (Lego Movie & 21 Jump Street) for Han Solo Anthology... You are getting young directors who will be guided by Kathleen Kennedy just like Kevin Feige guides the Marvel directors... It's going to be fun. It might not be perfect, but I doubt you're going to see someone ruin the franchise like George "jar-jar/midichlorian" Lucas did...

Movie making changed forever with Star Wars in 1977 - the end of my senior year in high school. That alone made it special for me.

Loved the previews - all of them. Looks like we are getting back to the characters and that is a good thing. Harrison Ford was rumored to be not happy with going back, but other rumors have stated that he went into the role immediately without skipping a beat and he really warmed up to everything. Again, rumors. Just glad he is back.

I'm not sure what we will do during the holidays. Daughter, S-I-L, and grandkids are coming for just over two weeks starting on the 17th. We'll probably go just after Christmas Day.

Pretty excited about it. Not sure of the Luke going to the dark side stories. Doubt that happens, but we'll know in two months.

I see you, black panther!!

This made every fiber of my inner geek stand up and scream "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH H!!!!!!!!"

Holy shit, Creed is good. Way better than expected. Loved it!

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

LOLOLOL @ new Batman vs Superman trailer. I never could get in to the DC Comic world, but holy shit that movie looks amazeballs.

Which movie will be more lackluster: Star Trek Beyond or The Force Awakens?

Why would either of them be 'lackluster'? I haven't seen the new Star Wars flick and am not a fanatic like most are. But I'm sure it will be well done. And the new Star Trek movies have been great imho. So I guess I don't understand the question?

The trailer for the new Star Trek looks bad. Simon Pegg wrote it and said he was confused by the trailer, felt the need to point out there is more depth in the movie that the trailer indicates, fwiw.

Wife and I saw Sisters last night. Love Amy and Tina, and the movie was funny. Not great, but there is a certain pleasure in watching people who clearly love each other so much work together. Enjoyable flick.

They've absolutely revived the Star Trek franchise with the last two movies. 'The trailer is weak' doesn't convince me that somehow the folks involved are sleepwalking through the effort.

I don't get the original comment - 'Which movie will be more lackluster...' - loaded question imho - that's all...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.