• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Great Movies That Others Might Enjoy, Or Ones To Avoid

Haven seen most of the movies nominated for Best Picture, none of them bring out the emotion like American Sniper did. Eastwood did a helluva job.

Interstellar was pretty Damn good

I thought it was one of the best thought provoking sci-fi films in a long time. Just how they visualized the 4th dimension was pretty damn cool.

The amount of times my wife and I would look at each other and say "Wait, what is that about?" makes me agree with you. I love how it all tied in together and then instead of being pissed that it was "stupid" you go "OH YEAH!!"

Very well thought out and acted, we thought.

The amount of times my wife and I would look at each other and say "Wait, what is that about?" makes me agree with you. I love how it all tied in together and then instead of being pissed that it was "stupid" you go "OH YEAH!!"

Very well thought out and acted, we thought.

I surely didn't understand everything, but after watching the Theory of Everything, I decided to get Stephen Hawking's book 'A Brief History of Time'. I got the Illustrated version which has illustrations and pictures from the Hubble telescope which hopefully makes it easier to understand. In any event, I'm barely into it, but I've gotten to a point where he is discussing how gravitational forces can slow down time and I was like 'Oh....that was just like Interstellar when the time on the planet was slower than in orbit!'.

Not new but one I enjoyed today was 300: Rise of an Empire

I'm hoping they do a third covering the battle of Plattea!

Last edited:
American Sniper!!!! What a film!

It's really a reflection on the political times: just look at how the Left is responding. And heroism. And loyalty. And team. And evil. And sacrifice.

Saw it today. Full theater. The audience was silent when it ended. No one left until all the credits had rolled.

For me...as someone who saw Apocalypse Now when it first hit the theaters.....AS is such a stunning/180 degree departure from the themes in AN that it actually inspires some hope for a fading set of dreams, futures and American.

If I had any more of a man crush on momoa it would be unsafe lol

American Sniper!!!! What a film!

It's really a reflection on the political times: just look at how the Left is responding. And heroism. And loyalty. And team. And evil. And sacrifice.

Saw it today. Full theater. The audience was silent when it ended. No one left until all the credits had rolled.

For me...as someone who saw Apocalypse Now when it first hit the theaters.....AS is such a stunning/180 degree departure from the themes in AN that it actually inspires some hope for a fading set of dreams, futures and American.

Late on a response, but I had the same experience. I see a lot of movies alone since a) only my son wants to see the movies I see, and he usually gets to them with friends before I'm able to, and b) my wife can't stay awake through one. I saw American Sniper alone and had the same experience at the end. It was kind of shocking to me that no one, and I mean no one, said a word when the movie ended. Not only in the theater but even as people filed out, utter silence. It was really striking to me. I have concluded that the average American really has no idea what US combat troops go through in harm's way. They have this romanticized view of the military, patriotism, and war. And they don't really get just how hard and bleak that life is, and how much folks who serve (especially in combat roles) sacrifice. I enjoyed the movie, and I thought it was (like maybe only Saving Private Ryan and Full Metal Jacket before it) very realistic. But it didn't have the same effect on me that it did the civilians in the theater with me.

The credits just snap you in to reality. That's what stopped me in my tracks and made me remember it isn't just a movie

Watched 'Nightcrawler' with Jake Gyllenhaal last night. Great little flick. I told my wife it was like 'Taxidriver' on meth. I won't spoil the plot - but Gyllenhaals character is something else :)

Here's the imdb trailer...

[imdbt]vi4179799833[/imdbt]

Btw - I created a new BB code you can use with imdb trailers All you have to do is go to the 'Watch Trailer' section for a specific movie on IMDB, open it, then click on the 'Embed' option and copy the trailer code it'll look something like the red text here:

<iframe src="http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi4179799833/imdb/embed?autoplay=false&width=480" width="480" height="270" allowfullscreen="true" mozallowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" frameborder="no" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Copy the trailer's code and then just enclose it in the [imdbt] and [/imdbt] BB code.

The Oscars were garbage this year...utter garbage

Watched 'Nightcrawler' with Jake Gyllenhaal last night. Great little flick. I told my wife it was like 'Taxidriver' on meth. I won't spoil the plot - but Gyllenhaals character is something else :)

I think Jake Gyllenhaal did a great job and that was the problem for me. He was so creepy, it was hard to watch the film. Kind of a conundrum.

The Oscars were garbage this year...utter garbage

Birdman as Best Picture is a travesty. To me, it feels like a bunch of actors patting themselves on the back for the story. It's definitely 'artistic' in the way it was filmed and there were some good acting performances, but the movie was overall boring to me and I suspect most people. A number of others were much more entertaining.

Yesterday on twitter I stumbled across the Vegas odds for the Oscars. I really didn't know they took it so seriously. Anyway, I believe Vegas went 10-0.

Some of the odds were shocking. I mean crazy. But it allowed me to skip the entire thing and already know who was heavily favored to win. Here are two that were mind-blowing to me:

Oscars odds - Best Pic: Birdman -170; Boyhood +160; Imitation Gm 50/1; GB Hotel 60/1; Am Sniper 66/1; Theory of, Whiplash 125/1; Selma 150/1

So to win $100 on Birdman, a gambler would have had to risk $170. All of the others were longshots. That same $100 bet on American Sniper would have netted $6,600. It had no chance.

And here was the craziest:

Oscars odds - Best Supporting Actress: P. Arquette -6600; E. Stone 33/1; K. Knightley, L. Dern, M. Streep 80/1

To win even $100 on P. Arquette, a person would have had to have risked $6,600!

If you want to do something fun next year that will shock everyone around you, just check the odds, turn off the tv and go 10-0. You don't even need to see the movies lol.

@RJinVegas

I think Jake Gyllenhaal did a great job and that was the problem for me. He was so creepy, it was hard to watch the film. Kind of a conundrum.

It's Taxi Driver all over again... I love movies that never let you relax and keep you unsure throughout what's going to happen next. For a heartthrob A-lister to pull off that performance, it's right up there with Charlize Theron in Monster. Love all the 'personal development' and 'HR' jargon 'Lou' spews in this movie. It's amazingly absurd...

Anyone seen 'Jupiter Ascending' yet? Not expecting 2001 - A Space Odyssey, but it looked visually cool....

That one's on the list for sure. I never give up hope that the NEXT promising sci-fi flick will be The One.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.