• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Owen Honors

Well, let's admit it, if he ****ed up anywhere, this is it. That is the Golden Rule.

As for videos, I still have a copy of a Predator video that was made in a former Soviet bloc country along the shores of a very European beach. Yes, the US taxpayer paid for a low pass video of young, robust ladies on a topless beach jumping up and down and waving to the camera

Here's my gripe though, and something BB alluded to as well. This has all come out before. Not only did the Navy apparently give the guy a slap on the wrist, but they promoted him. This was evidently all well and good while it was in house. But I guess it drastically changes when it gets in public, huh?

In my experiences, rare is a commander that wear both hats like this guy did. From what I'm reading on the facebook site, he subscribed to the "Work hard, play hard" rule. Like I said, I've seen the full gammut of command styles in my time, from the totalitarian dickhead to the lassie faire types. But ones like Capt Owens reach the pennicle when they can both have a good time and maintian discipline. I had no illusions while working under a couple of Capt Owens types that if I or my troops ****ed up, the wrath was coming. But those same commanders were some of the first ones to fire up squadron parties when the mission was done and they'd be the first ones to crack the keg.

It's just too bad that the Navy didn't have the nutsack to stand up and say "We've already investigated this and Capt Owens has been reprimanded accordingly"

But guess you coudln't expect that from the same "leadership" that bent over to DADT

Check out the Facebook page. This commnet hit it right on the head

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Support-Captain-Owen-Honors-USS-Enterprise/181700525187990?v=wall

DADT has been repealed so anyone that says anything that might be considered "offensive" about homosexuality will get kicked out.

dude...look at the Navy's history...it wilts every time anything goes public. look at the guys it positions into senior DoD leadership positions - very bright guys who seem to wither under political pressures....every time. seems like only the Marine Corps has leaders who look out for the troops in every instance. Army? well...sometimes.

btw...2010 was a very bad year for senior AF leadership. lot of dismissals at senior military and civilian positions. some of it merited. some of it SECDEF/admin politics.

the more worrisome part is...although promotion boards are supposed to be politics free...we all know that is not the case. how much is the politics of the current administration favoring ideology over leadership/performance when it comes to senior officer promotions?

it works in all kinda subtle ways. Presidents, for example, have a mid-grade officer who carries "the football". First Bush admin...I have been told...wanted a Naval Aviator and actually quietly informed Navy personnel command that a blond haired, blue eyed, over 6' aviator was preferred. don't know if this is true or not. just what I heard in the rumor mill. these sorts of jobs, of course, are stepping stones to bigger and better things in a career.

Presidentially nominated senior jobs are obviously subject to...errrr....political oversight. so now...one hsa to ask....how does this work with the Obama administration? and is it good for the country?

we all know the bottom line: if you care about your career do what the system demands and don't make waves, don't get caught.

it also means that if your personality doesn't like this sort of behavior control (past some point) finish your obligated service and then get out.

This thread is exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks guys. This is about ten times more interesting and informative than CNN. :)

Whether or not I agree with the content and distribution of the videos (which I haven't seen) I definitely get the impression that this guy is getting thrown under the bus, but I really have no idea what I'm talking about. I appreciate those of you who do ... well ... talking about it.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WopAHvbg9LU[/media]

There's worse crap on Fox during the "family hour"

And I'm sure there's time to do that. But when the mission needs to get done, this guy quits being "Owen" or whoever you were out with last night and instead becomes "Capt Honors"

It's not that hard really

Agreed. But to lose your command over it is ridiculous. The pussification of America is in full swing

yeah, but once it became public like that they had to do something and make an example of him.

Like I said, all they had to do was say something along the lines of "The Navy was made aware of this incident when it occurred in 2006. We have reviewed the incident and counseled Capt Owens appropriately"

Of course, that would take a spine. And not beig scared of the gay activists.

Glad I'm out, cause I certainly wouldn't want any Navy brass covering my six in a tight spot

thats pretty much bang on, people are now so afraid of offending the gay lobby that things get blown out of proportion on a regular basis. last year I was reported at work for laughing at a gay joke, the coworker who told the joke was gay himself, but the gay person who reported me for laughing, left that little tidbit out. Luckily for me the coworker who told the joke went to the director and took responsability for it, but they were going to send me to "sensitivity training" and suspend me over it!

this guy broke the cardinal rule of video but I dont think he should have effectively lost his career over it.

This thread is exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks guys. This is about ten times more interesting and informative than CNN. :)

Whether or not I agree with the content and distribution of the videos (which I haven't seen) I definitely get the impression that this guy is getting thrown under the bus, but I really have no idea what I'm talking about. I appreciate those of you who do ... well ... talking about it.

That's why a few of us took the thread in a certain direction last night. Figured that you would say something along this line of thought. Knowing some your ideas on issues in the political realm, I can safely say that there are a lot of things that you would like about Capt. Honors if you ever had the chance to meet him.

Like I said, all they had to do was say something along the lines of "The Navy was made aware of this incident when it occurred in 2006. We have reviewed the incident and counseled Capt Owens appropriately"

That is not the Navy way. And that is where the Navy has failed in the past, present, and probably into the future. Learn this lesson and the Navy would be much better off for it. But it is not to be.

An interesting note - and never was related to this entire adventure. I had a lot of videos bookmarked in one of my favorites folder. Every single one of them has been removed in recent days. I happened to think about it and decided to look at them this morning - all are gone. Goodbye. Hmmmm, I wonder why and I wonder if anything will come of it. Well, please refer to Henry's post again and you may find the answer. The Navy uses a goat as a mascot. A scapegoat would be better.

Agreed. But to lose your command over it is ridiculous. The pussification of America is in full swing

He absolutely should have lost his job over that. If any person in any position of authority in any job in America (outside of KKK Grand Dragon, maybe) would lose their job over making those comments, and justifiably so. Not okay.

Gotta disagree that he should have lost his job and agree that most places he would have.

Its rather funny that I have to put up with 2 gay guys gearing down on each other in a public park in front of elementary school kids but anyone saying something to them is infringing on their rights and asked to leave the park. The truth is that not everyone agrees with everyone elses choices in life but some choices are more taboo to say something about.

either way, stupid to put it on video and even more stupid to wait 4 years to bust him.

which is why a person in authtority like Sen Reid should have lost his job over the racist remarks he made.

there is a different standard for politicians, one of them got caught soliciting sex illegally in a mens bathroom, pled guilty , then wanted to change his plea when it went public. he was not removed from office.

He resigned before voters got the chance to

Gotta disagree that he should have lost his job and agree that most places he would have.

Its rather funny that I have to put up with 2 gay guys gearing down on each other in a public park in front of elementary school kids but anyone saying something to them is infringing on their rights and asked to leave the park. The truth is that not everyone agrees with everyone elses choices in life but some choices are more taboo to say something about.

either way, stupid to put it on video and even more stupid to wait 4 years to bust him.

Umm, if you can't tell the difference between those two scenarios, then there's no use even discussing it with you.

also ryman, this is along the same path of the DADT argument. The military does not live JUST by civilian law. they have their own laws as well.

Mike...those Navy processes (not laws) did come into play 3 years ago and was handled at that time. this popped back on the radar screen because of the media attention.

there is a different standard for politicians, one of them got caught soliciting sex illegally in a mens bathroom, pled guilty , then wanted to change his plea when it went public. he was not removed from office.

not the point I'm making. This is all about conduct unbecoming. Honors did not do anything illegal. there was no UCMJ violation. more directly, this is about judgment, "intent", values, etc., and outcomes.

what Harry Reid said was shocking and unacceptable for a person in authority like himself. however, elements of our truth seeking, "fairness" society imputed different intentions to him and are favorably disposed to "outcomes" Sen White Hood...excuse me...Sen Reid...has been associated with in the past...so he was never pressured to leave his post as Capt Honors has been.

also ryman, this is along the same path of the DADT argument. The military does not live JUST by civilian law. they have their own laws as well.

Yeah I was just thinking that Mike, and I knwo the military has its own CMJ, but honestly Ive lost a lot of respect for your and my miltary in the way they have handled things in the past few years, it seems like they think its better to placate the media than to actually deal with an issue.

Lanky my point is that in many instances we go to far to be "gay friendly" ffs I would have been suspended from my job for laughing at a joke that a gay person told about gays. This Officer lost his job and effectively his career because he offended a group that according to many people shouldnt even be in the military (im not saying I agree with that but its a perception I have after reading the dadt thread) and is obviously a very small minority.

not the point I'm making. This is all about conduct unbecoming. Honors did not do anything illegal. there was no UCMJ violation. more directly, this is about judgment, "intent", values, etc., and outcomes.

what Harry Reid said was shocking and unacceptable for a person in authority like himself. however, elements of our truth seeking, "fairness" society imputed different intentions to him and are favorably disposed to "outcomes" Sen White Hood...excuse me...Sen Reid...has been associated with in the past...so he was never pressured to leave his post as Capt Honors has been.

I agree with that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.