• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Capital Obsession: To The Draft!

KDawg

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Alma Mater
College at Brockport
To the Draft! Every year, when your favorite teams’ season finally comes to it’s conclusion, whether it’s in the Super Bowl, the tournament or...

More...

I don't think the QBs in this draft (other than Luck) are that good, so I'd be surprised to see 3 ("or perhaps four") of them gone by the time we pick at #10. For that reason I'd be inclined to go with one of the other talents you mentioned that will be available. Or, if the Redskins really feel like they must have a QB, at least trade down to get better value.

I don't think the QBs in this draft (other than Luck) are that good, so I'd be surprised to see 3 ("or perhaps four") of them gone by the time we pick at #10. For that reason I'd be inclined to go with one of the other talents you mentioned that will be available. Or, if the Redskins really feel like they must have a QB, at least trade down to get better value.

I'm not specifically saying what we should draft, or who we should draft. I'm not even saying those other quarterbacks would be worth the pick (except Gabbert for sure, and I think Newton has INCREDIBLE potential, but we all know potential doesn't win games, execution does), but the point was that they could be gone. Not that they would be gone. And besides that, if we pick at ten and they're available and one of them fits the offense and we think we can build around them, then by all means, go for it.

The point of this posting was moreso to show that we are in a pretty good position. It wasn't to say we should draft this, that or the other thing. Although I could have predicted the responses would be geared towards that. (Rightfully so, I'd say)

in other words...whatever happens...happens!

hey...very nice read there KDawg! :claps: written very smartly to appeal to just about all of us! I like!!!!

Thanks FS62.

It's not necessarily a whatever happens happens piece... But more of a "hey, this is a good situation... If we don't screw this one up, we're going to come away better!"

:)

Nice perspective, KDawg. I hadn't thought about that, but we really are in a good position either way you look at it. We can stand pat, trade down or trade up, and we should as fans be happy.

I do think if we trade up to take Newton there may be a revolt, just because of his personal issues, but anyone else should be fine.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=5988254

Sources: Panthers to pick Andrew Luck

By Pat Yasinskas
ESPN.com

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- If Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck decides to enter the 2011 draft, the Carolina Panthers will take him, two high-ranking team officials said Tuesday.

A redshirt sophomore, Luck finished his season in Monday night's Discover Orange Bowl and has until Jan. 15 to declare if he will enter the draft. Although there have been reports indicating Luck may choose to stay in college, the Panthers remain optimistic he will turn pro.

Luck is viewed as the top prospect in the country by most draft analysts and the Panthers don't disagree with that assessment. The team officials said they wouldn't even consider trading down in the draft if Luck is available.

~more @ link~

Good write-up KDawg. Let the speculation begin! ;)

I won't weigh in too much on what I want, a trade down to acquire more picks in either this draft and/or the next is my ideal scenario. I know a trade down is not always possible since you need a trade partner and I am not even sure how the needs of teams in the 14-28 range can be met if there is a player worth trading up for that team.

I will weigh in heavily on whom I do not want! I do not want another young athletic specimen to come here to try to lead an NFL team who has not proven he can truly lead anything other than a college team based on his physical prowess. We do not need another Michael Vick or Vince Young here! Sure there is potential and it looks like Vick may have turned the corner, but not with the team that drafted him and not until almost 10 years after he was first drafted!

Cam Newton is the biggest risk in the year's class of Top 10 prospects! He reminds me of Vince Young in almost every aspect of his game except Vince Young did not have the character issues.

Couple the leadership questions with this: http://www.usatoday.com/communities...da-after-three-charges-of-academic-cheating/1

NO Cam Newton!

It's not necessarily a whatever happens happens piece... But more of a "hey, this is a good situation... If we don't screw this one up, we're going to come away better!"

:)

Isn't that usually the case...if you don't screw it up you come away better?

I guess that depends on your definition of screwing it up. Was drafting Ryan Leaf a screw up or bad luck? The Redskins could do all the proper homework and background checking and pick someone that is a consensus great pick and it might still not work out. Would that be screwing it up or being screwed?

Nevertheless, I agree with you that the #10 pick puts us in position to get better, whatever we do or whomever we pick. Let's just hope the football gods are done messing with us, 19 years is long enough.

Isn't that usually the case...if you don't screw it up you come away better?

I guess that depends on your definition of screwing it up. Was drafting Ryan Leaf a screw up or bad luck? The Redskins could do all the proper homework and background checking and pick someone that is a consensus great pick and it might still not work out. Would that be screwing it up or being screwed?

Nevertheless, I agree with you that the #10 pick puts us in position to get better, whatever we do or whomever we pick. Let's just hope the football gods are done messing with us, 19 years is long enough.

Ryan Leaf was bad luck/a desperation move. Screwing it up would be trading it away for Jake Delhomme. ;)

I was just chatting with some friends, Leaf was actually the consensus pick at the time, almost all the talking heads thought he would be a better pro than manning because his measurables were ridiculous and nobody knew he was a pill junkie. the biggest problem with QB is that you cant measure the most important mental things and thats what will make a bust or not, guys need the physical aspects to even be considered as an elite prospect and you can measure that, its rare a guys busts because of something physical unless injured.

ryan leaf wasnt a pill junkie when he played, he was an INT junkie and a knucklehead. they picked Manning because he was smarter and interviewed better.

I have read he started on the pills in college, and he had a crazy strong arm and absolutely no personal skills. But go back and read the draft analysis from back then , the manning pick was panned by a lot of respected football people. not many people Picked Rodgers to be the best in his class at QB either. but mental things are so tough to measure.

I dont like to admit this but I thought Heath Shuler would be a solid pro, he had college production, was supposedly very intelligent, had big production in big games, BUT turns out that his coaches had to dumb things down for him in college, scheme wise and he would often look like he was making reads but was just throwing. He was apparently prepped for the wonderlic like crazy and still didnt have a very good score, but at the time we were desperate for a qb and reached, and paid for it.

I was reading an interview where Leaf was talking about a back injury he got his senior year and how he started taking the pills. his college coach made a comment about his mood swings that I found enlightening as well.

My biggest issue with the Leaf vs Manning was always that the bad stuff going on with leaf stayed hidden util his rookie year with the Chargers, id be pissed if i was a coach or scout and a college team flat lied to me about a guys personality.

Qb is all about how you handle pressure, at the highest level of the ncaa, the physical talent is there almost all the time, what seems to seperate guys is the ability to remain accurate under pressure.

Right. Leaf wasn't a bad pick given what was known about him and how well a lot of it was hidden. He was a bad pick due to issues that were all but unknown to anyone. He's a bad luck pick, but I still think the Chargers did the right thing. He had all the intangibles. Yes. He busted. Hard. But it was still a good pick.

Pretty good article, except for the fact that there is no possible scenario in which Patrick Peterson will be available at 10th overall. Unless he completely ****s the bed at the combine or something, he'll be a top-5 pick for sure.

Pretty good article, except for the fact that there is no possible scenario in which Patrick Peterson will be available at 10th overall. Unless he completely ****s the bed at the combine or something, he'll be a top-5 pick for sure.

*sigh*

That wasn't the point.

The point was there is an abudence of talent, and some of it will be available.

Here are the top 5 QB prospects from Mel. There is a significant drop off in regard to the rating after the top 5. This one includes underclassman.

Andrew Luck - Stanford
Blane Gabbert – Missouri
Jake Locker - Washington
Cam Newton - Auburn
Ryan Mallett – Arkansas

Here is the CBS Sports list for QBs. This doesn’t include underclassmen (which calls it into question right off the bat).

Jake Locker - Washington
Christian Ponder – Florida State
Pat Devlin - Delaware
Colin Kaepernink - Nevada
Andy Dalton – TCU

After having watched some film (note: I'm not done viewing video) of the quarterbacks, I had them very similarly rated to Kiper as of a few days ago. However, after seeing Mallett last night, and viewing more film of him today... As well as trying to project how they'd fare in our offense, this is my current top 5:

1 - Andrew Luck
2 - Blaine Gabbert
3 - Jake Locker/Cam Newton
5 - Andy Dalton

Devlin is next, then Mallett. Wouldn't be surprised to see a guy like McElroy pass him on my list when the combines are done. But, this isn't a finalized product either. Still going through video.

*sigh*

That wasn't the point.

The point was there is an abudence of talent, and some of it will be available.

"At the tenth pick, many high grade prospects will be there for the taking, ranging from the quarterbacks listed above (Newton, Mallet, Gabbert, Locker) to other prominent collegiate players such as:

Patrick Peterson (CB, LSU [Junior])"

Hmmm...you used Peterson as an example of the talent that will be "there for the taking" at pick 10.

I think Mallet is the next Tim Couch; someone will reach on him, and he'll be a very disappointing pro quarterback. I just hope it isn't Shanahan, who loves a guy with a big arm.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.