• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Man up - what are you willing to give up for a franchise QB?

I don't follow college enough to know much about specific players, but I'll say this. If you can get one of the top QBs at 10 take it. Doesn't have to be THE top guy. Nothing's a sure thing. But if you can get one of the top tier guys go for it.

If you can't, trade down for more picks, build the lines and take a shot at a marginal guy in a middle round. You never know.

In either case, I would trade anyone who was worth anything for a picks. Cooley, Landry, Armstrong ... anyone over 25 should be on the table. Stockpile as many picks as you can so that we have room to move around if we need to next year.

agree with the logic totally....well almost......I would consider holding at 10 if a d-line talent like Rak drops. otherwise....sounds like a plan!!

agree with the logic totally....well almost......I would consider holding at 10 if a d-line talent like Rak drops. otherwise....sounds like a plan!!

That makes sense. A top pass rusher would be worth a #10.

That's just a general guideline. I really have no idea what I'd do. :)

I would not be willing to trade multiple picks to move up. The Skins just don't have the depth or enough picks to be able to do it.

The only way out of this mess is for the Redskins' scouting department to do their homework and find a B+ player that is a good fit in Shanny's offense.

Joe Flacco was taken 18th overall. Josh Freeman 17th overall. You CAN find a franchise QB a little lower in the draft. You just need good enough scouts to be able to identify that player.

I don't know if the Redskin's Joe Flacco exisits in this draft. If they think he does, they take him at 10 or maybe even trade down a few slots and add a pick. Either way, you keep Rex for a year or 2 and continue to build the roster.

The skins just don't have the luxury of being able to trade up thanks to terrible roster management of the last several years. If the trade away multiple picks to try to get Luck, this team will suck for a long time.

I would not be willing to trade multiple picks to move up. The Skins just don't have the depth or enough picks to be able to do it.

The only way out of this mess is for the Redskins' scouting department to do their homework and find a B+ player that is a good fit in Shanny's offense.

Joe Flacco was taken 18th overall. Josh Freeman 17th overall. You CAN find a franchise QB a little lower in the draft. You just need good enough scouts to be able to identify that player.

I don't know if the Redskin's Joe Flacco exisits in this draft. If they think he does, they take him at 10 or maybe even trade down a few slots and add a pick. Either way, you keep Rex for a year or 2 and continue to build the roster.

The skins just don't have the luxury of being able to trade up thanks to terrible roster management of the last several years. If the trade away multiple picks to try to get Luck, this team will suck for a long time.

GSF...not going to argue with ya too much...only that where you draft that QB in a draft is very much a function of the circumstances of that draft - lower in the round isn't as significant as the trend in the round and other teams needs; hence, my view that...for QBs...if the guy is there at your slot...you take him.

I think its pretty clear we are not getting Luck unless a mega trade is involved. So then we have to decide if we are content with drafting a developmental QB that may not be ready for a couple of years? I suspect most of us would be happy with that scenario, if we knew we would get THE guy. Do we have enough faith in our FO to make that choice?
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Too me, that's what Grossman is, a developmental QB. Knowing that it looks like we're not getting luck, I can't see pulling the trigger on the other QB's at 10. Therefore, we should trade down and fix the lines

I just noticed that Blaine Gabbert is going to declare. He is a QB that can make it in the league. If Newton is there at 10, we need to grab him. If not, then trading down and Grabbing Gabbert (couldn't resist) would be a very good option. I really think Gabbert could do very well with the Shanahans.

Im torn on newton, his measureables are off the charts, a slightly slower but much large version of Vick, but would he fit what Shannahan wants in a QB? I am always wary of guys who have their whole college offence built around them, Vick, Klingler, Ware, Bishop, et al, we cant afford to wait 8 years for a guy to have the light come on.

That's the ticket, Ry. I have followed Vick's entire career from high school on, and he would drive you nuts more often than not. The light bulb recently went on, sort of. He is still missing reads, hot routes, and prefers to run more than pass. He will not last 16 games, and certainly not 18 each season.

Bottom line, I will not be happy if we are lured by the measurables alone on Newton. We need a pocket passer, not an enigma.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

GSF...not going to argue with ya too much...only that where you draft that QB in a draft is very much a function of the circumstances of that draft - lower in the round isn't as significant as the trend in the round and other teams needs; hence, my view that...for QBs...if the guy is there at your slot...you take him.

Actually I think we're making the same point. I'm saying that you don't have to trade up to the first pick to get your franchise qb. If our QB is there at 10 you take him.

If all your research says he's can't miss, you do whatever you can to get him. If that means two future firsts? Do it.

We haven't had a true bonefide franchise QB since #9 was lacing them up. Break that drought!!

Now:

If Newton falls to us at #10, you get on the phone and trade him to the sucker that will give you the most picks.

Then address your needs on the lines and then get this guy for your future QB:

551424.jpg

Im torn on newton, his measureables are off the charts, a slightly slower but much large version of Vick, but would he fit what Shannahan wants in a QB? I am always wary of guys who have their whole college offence built around them, Vick, Klingler, Ware, Bishop, et al, we cant afford to wait 8 years for a guy to have the light come on.

I agree with you on Newton. He seems to have all the tools, but then again the same thing was said about Jamarcus Russell. If there is no rookie wage scale would he be a holdout?

I like the idea of trading down for more picks.

Actually I think we're making the same point. I'm saying that you don't have to trade up to the first pick to get your franchise qb. If our QB is there at 10 you take him.

we agree!......:claps:

I agree with the thoughts that a true franchise QB is the biggest factor for this team to have any long term success. As for the teams who have interest in Luck. Well…..

Adam Schefter was on one of the sports radio shows this morning talking about getting a QB in the draft. Well, more specifically he was talking about what it would take to move up to the number one spot to get Luck since the word is that Carolina will draft him if he declares (and he’d be a fool not to).

He said the minimum this year to move up to the top spot would be 3 number one picks. I repeat that again for those of you who didn’t read that correctly, 3 number one picks. Take that for what it’s worth. I think that’s high, but it’s a seller’s market. Carolina could be running a very clever game on the rest of the league to get maximum value for the top pick, but I somehow doubt that.

In his estimation the teams who have already put the word out regarding interest in Luck were Carolina, Denver and Arizona, and that’s just in the top five. So let’s not even entertain the idea of moving up to get Luck. It’s not going to happen.

I’ve done my own list like Burgundy Burner but there are a remarkable number of wildcards in the nine picks before ours. The only teams I can cross off the list are Dallas, Buffalo, Cincy and Tenn (because of the owner’s relationship to Vince). A reasonable argument can be made for any of the other teams who pick before us.

So to answer the original question: What would I give up for a franchise QB? Well, it depends. I think we flirted with the idea of Sanchez two years ago and didn’t want to pay the price. I think we flirted with the idea of Bradford last year and didn’t want to pay the price. Would I give up 3 number one picks for Luck? I haven’t seen enough of him to make up my mind yet. Last year Locker was considered the best guy available if he declared. He didn’t and has slipped considerably. Has he forgotten how to play in one year or were the “experts” wrong? Enough BS; Two number 1 picks would be my maximum (and they had better be right).

Well, if the argument is that a franchise QB is what it takes for long-term success, and you DON'T give up the 3 number 1 picks to get him, aren't you just dooming those #1 picks to future mediocrity anyway? What use are future picks if you don't have the cornerstone to build around?

And 3 picks seems high, but after Luck's performance against one of the better defenses in college football Monday night, I can see that happening.

Good points Lanky. Still, three number on picks is a lot for a team like ours. You don't want to move up to the top spot to select Alex Smith.

I think that's the problem, HF. Shanny unfortunately destroyed a LOT of his credibility this year in handling the McNacle (I KNOW it will catch on somewhere if I just post it enough). There are two possible explanations:

1) either McNabb was a bad fit all along for Kyle's scheme OR
2) McNabb was and is on the slide down to mediocrity and the end of his career.

Neither possibility reassures me that the Shanahans know what they are doing when it comes to QB talent selection. So how can we trust them to give up 2-3 picks to get a guy who could end up being Alex Smith, no matter what platitudes are thrown around by McShay and Dilfer? They are in a hard spot with the fans here because of their own choices regarding the QB position.

I would guess they will try their darndest to trade down and see if a developmental guy like Locker is available later. But just a guess.

I’ve put some stats together for the top 10 QBs this season (just by passing yards to make it simple). Here is the round and position where they were drafted.

Philip Rives – 1st round, 4th pick
Peyton Manning – 1, 1
Drew Brees – 2, 1
Matt Schaub – 3, 27
Eli Manning – 1, 1
Carson Palmer – 1, 1
Aaron Rogers – 1, 24
Tom Brady – 6, Compensatory
Matt Ryan – 1, 3
Kyle Orton – 4, 5

So out of the top 10 guys 6 of them were first rounders and 3 were taken first overall. There are 3 other 1, 1, guys worth mentioning who were out of the top 10; Mike Vick, Sam Bradford and Matt Stafford. For the sake of argument here are some #1 overall QB misses:

JaMarcus Russell - Who most had big doubts about.
Alex Smith - Who raced up the board late if I remember right.
Tim Couch - Who was a legit #1 guy on most draft boards.

I like Locker BTW Goaldeje.

Another interesting note. Of the non-first round picks on that list only Brady was drafted by the team he's playing for now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.