• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Contrarian Viewpoint: Grossman can play

Well, as '62 and others have mentioned, The Redskins really don't have any other options. They're not going to get a QB that's ready to start from day 1 in this draft.

What's interesting to me about your post Boone is you mention the post game interviews. I was also somewhat captivated by Rex in his post game interviews after the final game. These guys all know the right stuff they're supposed to say, but there was something more there with Rex. He seems to have a tremendously strong desire to start and win, which is something I don't see with McNabb who to me has more of a been there done that feel to him.

I kinda like Rex, especially after watching those interviews, but it's true the guy is a turnover machine. His biggest problem to me isn't his physical tools as some have said, but that he seems to have absolutely zero "spidey sense" when he's about to get creamed from behind. The good ones all have that sense when they need to side step just a little.

I expect Rex to have a similar season next year that he did for the Bears in their superbowl year, inconsistent. He'll have some awesome games and some really terrible ones. If you look at his numbers from '06, it's really kinda funny:

In week 2 vs. the Lions he went 20 for 27 for 289 yards and 4 tds with a passer rating of 148. 1 month later in Arizona, Rexy went 14 for 37 for 144 yards with 0 TDs and 4 INTs giving him a passer rating of 10, lol. Da Bears still managed to win that game though, leading to Dennis Green's now famous "the Bears are who we thought they were" rant the next day.:insane:

Rex had 7 awesome games that year, with passer ratings of 148, 137, 114, 105, 104, 100, and 100. He had 18 TDs and only 1 pic in those 7 games. The problem was he basically alternated those great games with 6 horrendous games in which he had passer ratings of 0, 1, 10, 23, 36, and 65 and threw only 2 TDs, and 18 pics lol. The game with the 0 rating was the last game of the year. If I remember right Lovie pulled him at halftime after going 2 for 12 with 3 pics. That's right, 1/4 of his passes were picked off in that game.

By the end of that regular season, Rex's insane inconsistency had everyone in Chicago, especially Lovie and Rex himself completely strung out and exhausted, but Rexy managed to hold it together just enough to help the Bears get to the Superbowl. We went to my Uncle's house in Chicago for Thanksgiving that year, and all of my Uncles, Aunts, and cousins from Chicago were all wacked out and arguing about Rex and the Bears all week. My Uncle had a classic rant about Rex a la Dennis Green at the dinner table one night and got so worked up he had to go up to bed after dinner lol. The Bears and Rex just had that affect on people that year.

Now, the Redskins won't have the same kind of defense or supporting cast Rex had with the Bears in '06, and I like Brandon Banks as much as the next guys, but he's no Devin Hester. One thing's for sure though, if Rex plays like he did in '06 it won't be boring, and we'll have plenty to argue about on the message boards.

Well, as '62 and others have mentioned, The Redskins really don't have any other options. They're not going to get a QB that's ready to start from day 1 in this draft.

What's interesting to me about your post Boone is you mention the post game interviews. I was also somewhat captivated by Rex in his post game interviews after the final game. These guys all know the right stuff they're supposed to say, but there was something more there with Rex. He seems to have a tremendously strong desire to start and win, which is something I don't see with McNabb who to me has more of a been there done that feel to him.

I kinda like Rex, especially after watching those interviews, but it's true the guy is a turnover machine. His biggest problem to me isn't his physical tools as some have said, but that he seems to have absolutely zero "spidey sense" when he's about to get creamed from behind. The good ones all have that sense when they need to side step just a little.

I expect Rex to have a similar season next year that he did for the Bears in their superbowl year, inconsistent. He'll have some awesome games and some really terrible ones. If you look at his numbers from '06, it's really kinda funny:

In week 2 vs. the Lions he went 20 for 27 for 289 yards and 4 tds with a passer rating of 148. 1 month later in Arizona, Rexy went 14 for 37 for 144 yards with 0 TDs and 4 INTs giving him a passer rating of 10, lol. Da Bears still managed to win that game though, leading to Dennis Green's now famous "the Bears are who we thought they were" rant the next day.:insane:

Rex had 7 awesome games that year, with passer ratings of 148, 137, 114, 105, 104, 100, and 100. He had 18 TDs and only 1 pic in those 7 games. The problem was he basically alternated those great games with 6 horrendous games in which he had passer ratings of 0, 1, 10, 23, 36, and 65 and threw only 2 TDs, and 18 pics lol. The game with the 0 rating was the last game of the year. If I remember right Lovie pulled him at halftime after going 2 for 12 with 3 pics. That's right, 1/4 of his passes were picked off in that game.

By the end of that regular season, Rex's insane inconsistency had everyone in Chicago, especially Lovie and Rex himself completely strung out and exhausted, but Rexy managed to hold it together just enough to help the Bears get to the Superbowl. We went to my Uncle's house in Chicago for Thanksgiving that year, and all of my Uncles, Aunts, and cousins from Chicago were all wacked out and arguing about Rex and the Bears all week. My Uncle had a classic rant about Rex a la Dennis Green at the dinner table one night and got so worked up he had to go up to bed after dinner lol. The Bears and Rex just had that affect on people that year.

Now, the Redskins won't have the same kind of defense or supporting cast Rex had with the Bears in '06, and I like Brandon Banks as much as the next guys, but he's no Devin Hester. One thing's for sure though, if Rex plays like he did in '06 it won't be boring, and we'll have plenty to argue about on the message boards.

nice post GSF!!! I think you nailed it in terms of what we can expect. I would add that I think we'll see less of a downfield passing game as well. well....let's hope Shanahan works the running game with a little more dedication than this past season. less opportunity for RG to hose things up...keep games close.....give the D a rest....etc....etc......

I agree Al - that's why I clicked that 'Blog it' button and suggest you do the same!

That is probably true, but honestly I don't think it will matter either way. This team is not going to be successful a year from now regardless of who is at QB. The 25th ranked scoring offense and 22nd ranked scoring defense have no chance of transforming that quickly.

What's crazy is that the D might have even been a little lucky last year. Just off the top of my head I can think of two lost fumbles while our opponent was at the one yard line.

It sounds like a lot of players aren't expected back (Rocky, Carter, etc) and that we are moving toward a true rebuild. What hurts is that Rocky has what, five years experience in the league? I like that Shanny is moving toward a rebuild. I just hope it works out..

well.....I'm ok with 2-3 years of frustration if we really are rebuilding - you know what I'm talking about: where you can see the pieces being added and imagine how they will eventually mesh downstream into a formidable team. then again, that doesn't seem to be Shanahan's gameplan.

I lean to agreeing with you and Ry on matters defensive....but just the same hold out hope that a quality d-linemen and Steeler's like LB are in our off-season future. as for NT....who the heck knows. but a climb, next season, from the abyss of 31 to say 15-20 would be quite acceptable. to get to that level they'd have to play a lot more consistently. coupled to a points against/game that wasn't horrific last season....we could see real progress.

Thanks '62 and Ry.

I think Rex is going to be the guy for a year or 2, and I'm hoping like hell he can eliminate some of those mistakes. One thing that would really help him imo would be a better line in front of him. Give Rex a a running game a lots of time in the pocket, and I think he could be pretty good most of the time, though i still think he'll have his share of boneheaded turnovers b/c that's what he does.

Ideally, the Skins find their future QB with the 10th pick, and find a good center and guard in the second round and in free agency. If they don't get their QB with that 10th pick, there are a couple of stud dlineman and linebackers that should be available. If they could add a bunch of young players this year, maybe somehow they'll be in a position draft their QB, or even to trade up for Luck in next year's draft.

Thanks '62 and Ry.

I think Rex is going to be the guy for a year or 2, and I'm hoping like hell he can eliminate some of those mistakes. One thing that would really help him imo would be a better line in front of him. Give Rex a a running game a lots of time in the pocket, and I think he could be pretty good most of the time, though i still think he'll have his share of boneheaded turnovers b/c that's what he does.

Ideally, the Skins find their future QB with the 10th pick, and find a good center and guard in the second round and in free agency. If they don't get their QB with that 10th pick, there are a couple of stud dlineman and linebackers that should be available. If they could add a bunch of young players this year, maybe somehow they'll be in a position draft their QB, or even to trade up for Luck in next year's draft.

I think Rex's success with us probably comes down to the O-line. If we can get a decent, middle of the orad O-line together that can protect him, I can see Rex being somewhat successful. It seems to me, and I am saying this from memory not stats and research, that Rex gets into trouble when the pocket and/or play breaks down and he is forced to improvise. If the line can protect him, I think he can be middle of the road.

Yes, we will still have ups and downs, ready to put him in the Pro Bowl one week and crucify him the next, but I think he will be a mediocre QB, which is about the best you can hope for.

So to summize;

Grossman sucks.

But Grossman can run the offense better than McNabb

We as a whole suck in other areas a lot worse than Grossman sucks at QB, so we must address our supreme suckage in those areas and put up with plain average suckage from the QB spot for a couple of years

When's the draft again?

So to summize;

Grossman sucks.

But Grossman can run the offense better than McNabb

We as a whole suck in other areas a lot worse than Grossman sucks at QB, so we must address our supreme suckage in those areas and put up with plain average suckage from the QB spot for a couple of years

When's the draft again?

Congratulations, Sarge-a technical analysis of the Redskins situation that I can only shake my head at in wonder and awe. :notworthy::laugh:

When's the draft?

Patience, my friend, it is coming-perhaps not as soon as we'd like :rolleyes2:-but it's coming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.