• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Comments from my Melon

21Teezy

The Cheerleader
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am in the same boat as most of you; I am more than a little concerned about the O-line this season. I like your post, Om. I am so excited about the upcoming preseason games, probably more than I have ever been in the past. Anyway, here is my current thinking about the team, and what I'm looking for and expecting as we head in the Preseason game # 1.

First off, the O-Line is a big concern. I don't care what Buges may say to everyone and the media, but it is a legitimate concern. We all know that we do not have much depth in terms of quality. We can only judge the back ups on what they have done so far, which is make Renaldo Wynn look like Bruce Smith circa early 90's. I mean, unless those guys can play solid football if and when they are called upon, we can suffer NO injuries. We've gotta' put our faith in Samuels being a monster without any major injuries (as he usually does) and we gotta' hope that Heyer can play like a beast. I do not want to beat a dead horse, because we all know where we stand here. I believe the preseason games will provide us with a much more realistic picture of what kind of O-Line we have, and let us hope it is not OFFENSIVE (as in bad breath).

Secondly, what about everyone else on the offense?
Portis is going to mirk people game in and game out; no questions there. However, whether it is Betts, or some other guy (with more speed I hope) coming off the bench to spell him, Portis needs to carry less of a load this year. It seems to me the best way to do this is to have as our goal, a fresh Portis for the 4th quarter. I really believe we have enough quality RB's to provide great compliment to Portis, but also keep him fresh when we could really use him pounding the D in the 3rd, and especially 4th quarters. Simply put, Portis was run into the ground AGAIN, last year. What in the world do we have all these RB's for anway?????!!!!! As for Campbell, Om has said it all, basically. I just hope he has a chance to succeed, and is not picking himself off of the ground each play.

Receivers:
Hey, I don't need to rehash how much we need Kelly and Thomas, or even just one of them, to step up and be a serious threat opposite Moss every single week. If we can get even one of them to be a threat, things will be so much easier for all the other receivers and our RB's. BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR SLEEPY DAVIS. This guy has more athleticism in his heavy eye lids, than Chris Cooley has in his entire body. WAIT A MINUTE!! Before ppl come at me saying I am hating on Cooley, I am most certainly not. I love Cooley. He is a monster, but the fact remains that Davis is simply more athletic and more dangerous once he gets the ball in his hands. Davis should get on the field quite a bit, and this guy will cause big problems. I doubt you can put most DB's on him because he will be too big and strong; and most LB's will likely not be able to keep up with him. Nonetheless, I'm expecting him to be a big positive for us on 3rd downs, and in the red zone. Ladies and Gents, if someone can step up for us opposite Moss, I don't see how Moss isn't killing teams. Think of all the damage he has done in the past when he was the only receiver we had. Anyway, I feel like we might be looking at a pretty bad offense, coupled with a dominant defense (I'm setting myself up for what I envision to be the worst we could be looking at, of course I am hopelessly and blindly optimistic every season). Which, we have seen, is a recipe for success provided the Defense is good every week, and the offense does not make many turnovers, and can make some plays in the clutch. And I will take that. If I have a strong run game, coupled with pretty solid pass game and a great defense, I think we are looking at more W's than L's, and potential playoffs. But, as optimistic as I want to be, we have to wait and see if we even have an O-line to begin with. As well as what our receivers can do. Not to mention, JC.

I think Om hit the nail on the head with Campbell. Time will tell, but I hope that he actually has a pocket to pass from, and we actually field an O-line, that is not Offensive. 4give me if this rambles or is incoherent; I would like to write a book, but I am at work. Later everyone. HAIL!!!!

I am soooo ready to see live action on Thursday. There is not one plus or minus about this team that was not known before training camp began or discovered within the first couple of practices.

Fans are ecstatic about the possibilities of the defense and scared of the inadequacies on the other side. It's time to see some real game action against an interested opponent.

I'm ready for some football.

Me too. Bring it on.

And nice post, 21. :)

One thing to be aware of ... the Ravens and their fans are ready for some football too. With this one in their house, and the buzz surrounding Flacco's Year Two, my guess is the birdies will be flying high. We might not be very happy with the result given it's most likely to manifest itself in their defense attacking poor ol' JC and his merry band of walking wounded offensive linemen. I'd not be surprised at all to see Baltimore come out pretty damn fired up, preseason or not.

We would do well to not let a possibly ugly offensive affair convince us the end is nigh.

I see what you mean, Mark, but we keep telling ourselves the same things over and over.

When it's preseason and the Offense stinks it up, we keep telling ourselves it's just the preseason. When they do it early in the regular season, we keep telling ourselves there are still a 3-4 months of play to be had. Then we start making excuses for why we're having problems. I'd just like to see Campbell come out, take charge and give no reason for anyone to point a finger at him because of the Line, WR's or whatever.

What worries me the most about this team, I guess, is that we have question marks on the two most fundamental areas of this Offense: QB and the Line. We have some guys who are in their window, as far as their peak abilities go, and I'd like to see them have some success during that time. I don't want to see someone like Portis or Samuels go to waste because of things like this.

I see what you mean, Mark, but we keep telling ourselves the same things over and over.

When it's preseason and the Offense stinks it up, we keep telling ourselves it's just the preseason. When they do it early in the regular season, we keep telling ourselves there are still a 3-4 months of play to be had. Then we start making excuses for why we're having problems...
That, my friend, is a classic slippery-slope argument. A good one, but still.

All I was suggesting was that the opening preseason game, on the road, against a team with serious SB aspirations and a traditionaly dominant defense, perhpas not being the best barometer by which to judge the 2009 Redskins offensive line. Let's maybe give it at least until we see the Steelers throw Jason around like a rag doll here at FedEx next week before we decide we're looking at 0-16.

And yes, that was indeed a slippery counter-argument. :)

The more and more I think about the OLine, the more and more I start to think like zoony. I do think OLine is important, don't get me wrong, but a lot of the sacks are on Campbell sensing pressure and avoiding it with a simple sidestep, a la Tom Brady. Just another part of his development, that hopefully "clicks" this year. Unfortunately, that is something that often cannot be taught, although Zorn's pad-dodgeball drill is pretty good.

Me too. Bring it on.

And nice post, 21. :)

One thing to be aware of ... the Ravens and their fans are ready for some football too. With this one in their house, and the buzz surrounding Flacco's Year Two, my guess is the birdies will be flying high. We might not be very happy with the result given it's most likely to manifest itself in their defense attacking poor ol' JC and his merry band of walking wounded offensive linemen. I'd not be surprised at all to see Baltimore come out pretty damn fired up, preseason or not.

We would do well to not let a possibly ugly offensive affair convince us the end is nigh.

That's a fair assessment, but bear in mind that Baltimore's offense is hurting too and they're definitely not world-beaters. I almost wish they'd stick Haynesworth in there for the one series, just to see if he can wreak havoc in tandem with Orakpo and knock Fluko on his keister.

The best you can hope for is no injuries, inspired play and that we don't embarrass ourselves. I'm surrounded by Baltimorons and really don't want to hear it on Friday. Work after last years debacle was unbearable...

Yeah! I can't wait for Thursd....what? Not being aired nationally you say?

Hmmm, so I can't get it in Dallas?

But...but...I have the NFL Sunday Ticket!

Really? DirectTV doesn't carry the pre-season games on Sunday Ticket?

Well, I have the NFL Network! Yeah, that's the ticket for this one!

Oh, not carrying it live on Thursday then? Gotta wait till 3pm on Friday afternoon to see it on tape delay? Seriously?

Another reason to hate the preseason.

Haha, I feel sorry for you Neophyte. But everyone, one thing to keep in mind is that I really believe you cannot get too high (this applies to many things..... :cool4:), nor too low during the preseason. As long as we escape with everyone healthy, you gotta take most of it with a grain of salt. Nothing matters at all (outside of the injury bug) until week one against the g-girls. Let's all remember too, that JC can help himself greatly by being hard to catch in the pocket, a la other great QB's, and most prominently displayed by big Ben. Someone else posted something to this effect above. But if JC can prolong plays he will keep himself clean, and will have the opportunity to make big plays. I mean the steelers one it all last year behind a poor pass protecting line, and ben made up for it by being ridiculously hard to sack. On a side note, as good as ben is, i think he looks like such a tool when he is running around avoiding people. You all will soon realize that as much as I respect the game and players that play it the right way, I hate 31 teams in the league. That's just the way I am. I respect good football teams, but I still hate 'em if you aren't Burgundy and Gold baby!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.