• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

We are not schizophenic lol

Ry...how did the better teams at the bottom of a round get to be "better teams"? they picked higher in the draft when down, kept their picks instead of trading them away, and intelligently worked FA.

you have introduced some considerations that make sense.

- it's more than just random luck. the better teams...as you and others note...have an environment more conducive to success - they have better players to start with. that's the context later round picks start off in - i.e., the probability for success is greater.

- hits and misses in a round trace to multiple influences that are not independent (i.e., covariance is in play with the stats). evaluation skill, team context, scheme/skills match, weather(!), motivation, money, coaching style, injuries....and on. player evaluation is only one component of predicting (and actual) success.

- the best teams have a strategy they hew to over time. the strategy is adjusted based on a "feedback loop" from previous seasons. perform well and a team is drafting toward the bottom of a round - these teams generally search for depth, gap fillers, role players. perform badly and a team is drafting toward the top of a round...the high cost end...looking for impact players at any of a number of positions. in short, teams at opposite ends of the first round aren't even evaluating the same pool of players. they have different objectives.

it boils down to a team's strategy...if you're drafting lower in the round you shoot for role players - and yes, sometimes, BPA. if drafting higher you opt for immediate impact at any of numerous "holes". teams are not even looking for the same thing in these respective draft positions. a team like the Skins is clearly in the impact/multiple holes scenario.

- yes..."gems" can be found in later draft positions....but they BECOME gems for a whole slew of reasons. the gems might not succeed at all if drafted in much higher positions (as you and others noted at one point in one of these threads). knowing this...how does some statistic about "probability" of success become an actionable metric? I submit that it doesn't. accepting the notion that later picks in a round have an equal probability of success to earlier picks isn't a strategy. that "metric" only correlates to one among many variables that constitute the roster management strategy and the draft strategy.

- a draft strategy is shaped by more than just internal variables. it is also shaped by expectations of what other teams are going to do. it is shaped by the talent pool in any given draft. the point is that a team has to make a rational decision executed through some sort of methodology/process. that process is based on more than just a statistic about early versus late round success rates.

so..the question I ask is this: if a team is a bad one with glaring talent deficiencies and multiple gaps....is the correct strategy to opt for lower picks in a round for role players or potential "gems" (that become gems by virtue of multiple factors many of which (by definition) losing teams don't offer).....or higher picks where raw impact talent is greater? a reasonable response is that that strategy could emphasize quantity over quality. I can buy into that. but if the strategy is to find core players who are athletically gifted and marked as high probability successes (the "foundation") as many teams have done in the past as the route to success...then drafting higher makes sense. you stay put or move up to draft the Bradford's of the world. the issue isn't that high draft picks can fail...the issue is that the return is huge if you hit with one of the high talent players. so, another variable, is a team's risk acceptance propensity.

I'll adjust somewhat my view on this. relative draft position in a round isn't the end all be all. the draft strategy, however, IS the end all be all. what should the Skins' draft strategy be 2011? I vote huge return at QB. I believe that the higher the draft position the greater the opportunity to control the probability of securing that type of player. El may be right that 6-9 does not matter. others can legitimately respond that here have been major late in the round QB successes. I respond that is all a matter of teams' relative needs in any given draft. if there are multiple teams coveting the best QBs and few to pick from...higher...everything else being equal...is better. I also believe this is one of those years. unless Shanny pulls a white rabbit out of the FA black hat.....the draft will be the path to a QB. reasonable people can differ on where to select that QB. in my mind, with this year's crop of QBs and other teams looking at QBs....earlier is better. guarantee you get the player you want. you may fail...but you got the player your system determined was the best. if..the team instead decides to opt for d-line..then the abundance of quality talent at that position in this year's draft affords more wiggle room.

immediate impact or development?
quantity?
control?
talent level?
other team's probable strategies?
talent pool?
need?

what should be weighted most in the Skins' upcoming draft strategy? in what order? and why?

The truth as I see it is simple, its always better to be able to pick high because IF you are dilligent and IF you do your homework, you dont wnat to risk somebody else taking your guy through luck or them being better prepared. whats funny is that the best draft teams have a very specific plan, they usually know exactly what they will be doing even if their first choice is gone (as they often are at the lower end of the draft.) I have heard that NE actually has a draft board an available free agent board and a potential trade board, and that they are extremely picky to the point where a few years ago they almost forfeited a pick rather than pick someone they hadnt researched.

with as many holes as we have we dont want journeyman players to fill one or two needs, we have glaring holes at several spots, we need to fill those with talented players who are difference makers. once we have a more talented Base to work from we can start filling smaller holes with journeyman players and be winners , if we try that now we will stay at best a 500 team.

we dont need immediate impact from our draft choices although it would be nice, we need guys who will develop into stud players in 1-2 years. hopefully Danny is paying attention.

actually Ax is not a dunce nor should he be spoken to like he is. can you please just try to stick to the topic and not get personal?

maybe your little buddy should moderate his language when speaking to his betters. go back and read the thread and tell me who began the name calling.

and yes he is a dunce, stupid is as stupid does.

fansince, I have a question. Given that QBs drafted very early in the draft, say positions 1-12 are drafted by teams with poorer than average season records and therefore likely to have serious team deficiencies other than at QB do you think that might be skewing the perception, and possibly the numbers indicating relative irrelevance of draft position as a predictor of future performance?

thats exact;ly what I was saying earlier, poor teams are more likley to "take a flier" on potential and they have way more busts, they reach for players at need spots whereas teams that are good , rarely draft away from their long term plan. everyone laughed at the steelers for drafting timmons, because they were stacked at LB, how did that turn out? meanwhile Detroit drafted WR's on several drafts and reached hard, and they got burned hard.

actually Ax is not a dunce nor should he be spoken to like he is. can you please just try to stick to the topic and not get personal?
Appreciate the concern, but it's not worth it.

Rainman got his feelings hurt once he realized he missed what everybody else was, and has continued to say, about the pros/cons of moving up, or down a few slots, within each round of the NFL Draft. He'll never come out and say, "Oh, I misunderstood". He simply chooses to exercise his insecurity about his lack of comprehension, while flexing his interweb muscles.

Just as the cat continues to play with the dead mouse, I continue to toy with him, simply for my own amusement.

Actually, ryman, I should have been more clear. What I am positing is this: taken by itself as a predictor of future performance draft position does not have adequate explanatory power-other variables mostly involving between-team variance account for more of the difference in QB performance than how high a QB is drafted. This is why you are able to have so many examples and counter-examples of QBs taken at different positions and performing better or worse than QBs taken at other positions. QBs drafted high are drafted by teams with glaring deficiencies and thus the improvement in team performance is not as great as it might be for a team with a better support system for the QB drafting one lower and seeing major improvement. Every year during the draft there will be several QBs selected in the first 15 positions-not all will show a performance that equates to what their draft position was-nevertheless as a general rule-of-thumb drafting high will likely give you a prospect who, in the suitable team support setting will be noticably better than one drafted lower, There is, of course, a grteat deal of uncertainly here which is why I said as a "general" rule to be used only as a basic guideline as opposed to a hard-and-fast rule.

Alright now fellas, let's calm it down a bit. Hate to ruin a perfectly good thread here.

Serv, thats pretty much bang on, initially I was saying that drafting higher is better because if all other factors are considered equal its always better to have "first pick" so to speak, but as always other factors come in to play, this debate was originally in generalities.we could go on endlessly about what factors are the most important, obviously a monkey with a crayon isnt going to be as astute as a real FO with a great scouting department.

But your initial assumption I think was bang on, the reason you have busts (when not caused by drug use, injury etc etc) is because teams at the top ften have massive holes, so they tend to reach, and when you reach there is more room for disaster. so teams drafting early REPETITIVELY are obvious operating from a flaw, the Lions are a great example of that, drafting high didnt help them much until they had a better FO , now they have added 3 stellar young talents and a potential franchise QB, however they need a better line in front of him or its all for naught.

Last edited:
you have to sell the internet to large businesses? :)

what have they been using up until now, carrier pidgeons?

you have to sell the internet to large businesses? :)

what have they been using up until now, carrier pidgeons?

well its canada so I suppose I could use the sled dogs joke but in actuality we are one of the more advanced countries when it comes to the interwebs.

I sell various solutions, T-1 connections, fibre, contracted solutions etc etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.