• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

ESPN: McNabb to Ask for Release After Season

Goaldeje

The Legend
Reaction score
Alma Mater
James Madison
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5956686
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

"Being that Donovan McNabb no longer is a part of the Washington Redskins' game plans, he has his own game plan in place for after this season, according to one person close to the quarterback.

NFC East blog
ESPN.com's Matt Mosley writes about all things NFC East in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

After the season, McNabb is planning to meet with the Redskins and ask them for his release. McNabb wants to be in a position where he can pick the place to finish his career, not have it dictated to him as was the case last season when Philadelphia traded him to Washington.

McNabb, who was benched in place of Rex Grossman for last week's game against Dallas, will be the No. 3 quarterback for the final two games of the season."

Unless he can materialize us a draft pick, he's not gonna get his way.

He might . . . I think it all depends on whether he is worth anything on the market. Although I guess Mike might keep him around if he can't get what he wants for him.

I agree, whatever we can get for him, we take it, no releasing him after what we coughed up originally.

We should get something for him with so many teams QB needy. Nothing less then a third rounder and a ham sandwich would be acceptable in my book.

No way he is simply released. That would make the extension all the more idiotic. He either gets traded or retires. We pretty much HAVE to get something for him and a 4th or 5th rounder is feasible.

No way he is simply released. That would make the extension all the more idiotic. He either gets traded or retires. We pretty much HAVE to get something for him and a 4th or 5th rounder is feasible.

makes you shake your head though...doesn't it: a 2nd & a 4th swapped for a 4th or 5th and services rendered for one year

well, it's better to get something now than nothing later on.

we learned that lesson with Haynesworth. Shanahan was looking for a #1 or #2 pick and now that #4 that Tennessee offered before the draft looks very good.

with Fisher and Washburn potentially out in TN depending upon what Bud Adams does there may be no market for that tub of lard in the offseason at all :(

I expect a deal to be in place by draft day, and depending on how potential suitors do with their own draft, the trigger will get pulled then.

And, as part of the original McNabb trade, we are already getting a 5th rounder back, by way of New Orleans.

Be nice to get at least another 4th this off season to go with it.

McNabb is amusing. He thinks by using his agent as a frontman that is going to have any effect on Shanahan or Allen. Whatever you think of either of these guys, Shanahan showed in Denver and Allen in Tampa, that they were going to deal players and manage the roster the way THEY wanted to and were not going to be dictated to by individual athletes.

McNabb came along a year too late. If Zorn and Cerrato were still in charge he could probably have still pulled off the power play and forced his release in January.

Then he could have selected his new team and thumbed his nose at the Redskins.

Too bad, Donovan.

McNabb is amusing. He thinks by using his agent as a frontman that is going to have any effect on Shanahan or Allen. Whatever you think of either of these guys, Shanahan showed in Denver and Allen in Tampa, that they were going to deal players and manage the roster the way THEY wanted to and were not going to be dictated to by individual athletes.

McNabb came along a year too late. If Zorn and Cerrato were still in charge he could probably have still pulled off the power play and forced his release in January.

Then he could have selected his new team and thumbed his nose at the Redskins.

Too bad, Donovan.

His agent must have worked through all the implications of the contract. especially well into the season when the relative talent level became clearer. doesn't make sense to me.

Realistically, who is going to want him for anything more than a 5th? We could possibly try to sell teams on the fact that he was a poor fit for the offense we were running, but that would require Shanny and Kyle to admit a mistake, and then Bruce to sell it. Not sure that is going to happen.

If they stick with the poor practice habits story, true as it may be, I don't see any team that runs any system other than Reid's being interested at all.

We have handled the situation about as poorly as possible, with the FO thinking only about how to cover their asses in the short term, while ignoring the long term implications.

If we can get a 5th, that could turn into 4th, or maybe even a 3rd if certain lofty goals were met, you take it.

I think it's very possible, too.

If it is really true that McNabb passively resisted executing the offense he was being paid to run and slow-rolled the Redskins in 2010, then I would have no qualms about trading him to the worst location possible, somewhere he doesn't want to go.

Heck, let's see if he likes playing in Buffalo or Carolina :)

If it is really true that McNabb passively resisted executing the offense he was being paid to run and slow-rolled the Redskins in 2010, then I would have no qualms about trading him to the worst location possible, somewhere he doesn't want to go.

Heck, let's see if he likes playing in Buffalo or Carolina :)

Buffalo, then he could visit his old Syracuse haunts. :)

well, I am sure wherever Donovan lands his PR machine will be in full throttle to explain how ALL the problems in DC were Kyle Shanahan's fault and that he was just a victim of circumstances :laugh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.