• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Portis seal his fate ?

Miles Monroe

The Owner's Favorite
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Portis just can't keep his mouth shut. I know people will say he's just expressing his opinion, but his mouth is his worst enemy.

Portis "scared" comment

Clinton:
'Man, if they bench Donovan, anybody can be benched. Or am I next or what's next?' And I think guys start playing for safety."

"That's really been a big part of the problem around here," he said. "People start playing for safety. So it's like, 'I gotta play safe and sound, instead of going out on the limb and making plays.' It's like, 'How do you do what they say? I don't want to be outside the box. I want to do everything I possibly could to save myself.' Instead of just laying on the line."

Shanny:
“Who was playing scared?” he said. “They were playing hard because they were playing for their jobs, is that what he means?”

Of the idea that any player could lose his job, Shanahan said, “I’d say that’s true, that’s definitely true. We’re going to play the best player, regardless of how much money they make or where they were drafted. We’re going to play the best players and try to evaluate the best players.

I think Clinton had better worry about his stomach and getting well.”

Sounds like Shanny has about had it with Portis and his radio show. IMO, this stuff will have a bearing on weather Shanny keeps Portis no matter how willing he is to restructure.

Last edited:
Portis just can't keep his mouth shut. I know people will say he's just expressing his opinion, but his mouth is his worst enemy.

Portis "scared" comment

Clinton:

Shanny:

Sounds like Shanny has about had it with Portis and his radio show. IMO, stuff will have a bearing on weather Shanny keeps Portis no matter how willing he is to restructure.

As usual, Portis barely makes sense :)

If players are scared, they're hardly going to 'play safe'. They're going to do everything they can to make an impression. I'd give Grossman as a prime example. Guy has a single game to show what he can do. No one can say he 'played it safe'. For better or worse, he put it out there.

Portis need not worry about getting benched. Portis ought to worry about making next year's team. In my opinion, he's done, and the Redskins should move on.

When you can't stay on the field for 1/2 a season at best, my best advice would be to keep a low profile. But hey, that's just me.

I think what he means is a guy like McNabb is going to spend so much time thinking about playing within the system that he won't trust the instinct he's developed over 11 years and, therefore, won't make plays he's capable of making.

And while there is some merit to that argument, Portis really should have kept his mouth shut. You don't get into a pissing contest with your coach, especially when that coach is Mike Shanahan.

I will be surprised if Portis played another snap for us.

For once, I'm glad Portis said something that makes sense. I'm glad players are playing "scared", that this apparently is no longer a "Get paid" country club

No one should feel safe after this turd of a seson

Oh, and so long Clinton :ciao:

Clinton's fate is tied to his contract, and his role. If he works out a deal favorable to the club, he WILL be back.

I, for one, hope he does.

Of course, if we could get him to wear a muzzle, that would be even more gooder.

You tell em Clinton! And then we can all march over to 5 O'Clock and argue about free speech.

harmless stuff. Shanahan messed up this year...we all know it. Portis isn't responsible for what will be a 5-11 record. Shanahan is.

Clinton is talking his way out of DC. For some time I have felt Clinton is one of the Redskins biggest problems.

He is talented on the field, but in the locker room feel he is a cancer.

Time to move on from his dog and pony show.

Clinton is talking his way out of DC. For some time I have felt Clinton is one of the Redskins biggest problems.

He is talented on the field, but in the locker room feel he is a cancer.

Time to move on from his dog and pony show.

CP had next to nothing to do with this year's dance of the sugar plumb fairies. he may come or go....but focus blame where it really belongs: Shanahan.

CP had next to nothing to do with this year's dance of the sugar plumb fairies. he may come or go....but focus blame where it really belongs: Shanahan.

This club was a mess long before Shanny came along.Part of the problem was Portis' mouth

This club was a mess long before Shanny came along.Part of the problem was Portis' mouth

I know where you're coming from and don't disagree. Just saying that Shanahan owns it now and some decisions he made are accountable not only for what we see on the field but the options we have leading into next season. CP is a bit player compared to Shanahan.

I hope Shanahan succeeds...if for no other reason than he needs to stay in place 4-5 yrs...IMO...to play out his strategy. Just sayin he/Allen are off to a rough start.

I can't put the blame on Shanahan. He inherited a mess and it is going to take a while to right the ship. Shanahan was given an OL that needed major work, precious few draft picks, and an aging roster then told to go win.

Granted, when we signed McNabb everyone's perceptions changed. Haynesworth decided his wishes were above the team's.

The Constitution does give us all the right of free speech. What it doesn't give is the intelligence to use in an intelligent manner.

DeAngelo Hall's comments regarding Clinton not having been in the locker room for few weeks is very interesting. How can he speak for the "scared" players when not there? Portis has a history of opening mouth and inserting foot.

I've felt for a long time that Portis was part of the problem in DC. As I said, not on the field, but in the locker room.

I can't put the blame on Shanahan. He inherited a mess and it is going to take a while to right the ship. Shanahan was given an OL that needed major work, precious few draft picks, and an aging roster then told to go win.

Granted, when we signed McNabb everyone's perceptions changed. Haynesworth decided his wishes were above the team's.

The Constitution does give us all the right of free speech. What it doesn't give is the intelligence to use in an intelligent manner.

DeAngelo Hall's comments regarding Clinton not having been in the locker room for few weeks is very interesting. How can he speak for the "scared" players when not there? Portis has a history of opening mouth and inserting foot.

I've felt for a long time that Portis was part of the problem in DC. As I said, not on the field, but in the locker room.

Riggo...The point isn't whether CP is informed or not, whether he is right or wrong. the point is not trying to control the messenger because we don't like the message. now Hall is an interesting character...and the reference is amusing since...when it served his purposes...he was hugely disruptive in other locker rooms. I really don't care about the locker room. It's up to those guys how to run it internally. I care about efforts to apply pressure on someone in a manner intended to mollify their free speech rights outside the confines of the field and the locker room. this has been the subject of debate since I can remember posting on my first blog. fans love it when players go outside the ring to lambaste their preferred targets (i.e., Snyder, Haynesworth) and hate it when they dislike the player. we have gone through this a millions times with arrington, S. taylor, westbrook, davis...etc...etc. it's all emotion of the moment..devoid of any consistency. and in my book that spells "danger will robinson"...cuz there's more at stake than whether one likes/dislikes the messenger or the message.

I am one that is a fan of the Washington Redskins, and not necessarily the players. I will support anyone that wears the burgundy and gold. Don't mind being unhappy with anyone in the organization, but won't tolerate someone outside Redskin fandom to talk bad about the team.

Portis has always had a lot of potential and could be a real asset to the team. He is like many of today's players. They speak before they think. I would have a higher opinion of him if he tried harder to be a solution to the problem versus a part of the problem.

I have nothing against free speech, but there is a correct time and place. You don't always need to run to the media to air the dirty laundry. A lot of things need to be kept in house and dealt with accordingly.

Look at the Patriots. They are very successful, yet you only hear players saying the right things in the media. When someone steps out, they are gone much like Randy Moss. Now Moss sees how good he really had it. I've heard former Patriots talk about the locker room leadership and how things are handled internally versus in the media. This is a big part of their success.

I am one that is a fan of the Washington Redskins, and not necessarily the players. I will support anyone that wears the burgundy and gold. Don't mind being unhappy with anyone in the organization, but won't tolerate someone outside Redskin fandom to talk bad about the team.

Portis has always had a lot of potential and could be a real asset to the team. He is like many of today's players. They speak before they think. I would have a higher opinion of him if he tried harder to be a solution to the problem versus a part of the problem.

I have nothing against free speech, but there is a correct time and place. You don't always need to run to the media to air the dirty laundry. A lot of things need to be kept in house and dealt with accordingly.

Look at the Patriots. They are very successful, yet you only hear players saying the right things in the media. When someone steps out, they are gone much like Randy Moss. Now Moss sees how good he really had it. I've heard former Patriots talk about the locker room leadership and how things are handled internally versus in the media. This is a big part of their success.

reasonable position. though I remind you that during the glory days prominent Skins violated many rules and said all sorts of things. but they still won.

I look at what Portis did over the length of his time here...and the physical price he has paid...and don't fret too much over his antics.

are you upset with McNabb publicly stating he was disrespected? the national media did run with that comment.

I remember the glory years and Gibbs putting a gag order on Manley, so as not to be lured into bulletin board material. With Manley he was likely to speak out about the opposition than teammates. You had to love Dexter.

Oh, when I go to 5 o'clock club it is to improve my health by staring at "ahem". I appreciate Sarge's concern for my well being.

Inappropriate mouthing off or not, I gotta say if CP goes, I'm sure gonna miss his blocking ability. He's been one of the best blocking backs in the league and that element is going to be hard to replace, I think.

im just curious, if you inherited a struggling team would you have made the team worse by forcing scheme changes that would also require a large amount of your already scant resources? because THATS why I blame shanny, not because he got a turd sandwhich but because added a side of crap to it and still tried to sell it as filet mignon.

Inappropriate mouthing off or not, I gotta say if CP goes, I'm sure gonna miss his blocking ability. He's been one of the best blocking backs in the league and that element is going to be hard to replace, I think.

good point Serv. and it showed up multiple times this season.

I remember the glory years and Gibbs putting a gag order on Manley, so as not to be lured into bulletin board material. With Manley he was likely to speak out about the opposition than teammates. You had to love Dexter.

Oh, when I go to 5 o'clock club it is to improve my health by staring at "ahem". I appreciate Sarge's concern for my well being.

yes...all we "boobs" like to gather round that campfire!!!! well......maybe 8 or so percent don't if stats are to be believed.

Look, Portis' contract if he is brought back calls for him to earn $6.5M.

Nobody in their right mind is going to bring him back at that number.

It's time to cut him and Santana Moss loose and let them move on. We need to do the same.

Portis and Moss were in their prime in 2005 when Joe took this team to 10-6 but that was the crest.

Both players' playmaking abilities have eroded year by year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.