• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins' Williams returns for love of the game

brandies

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/12043488

ASHBURN, Va. -- So tackle Mike Williams, the former first-round pick of the Buffalo Bills, is trying football again after three years out of the game. Terrific. But here's what I'd like to know: Why? People in Buffalo told me he doesn't have a passion for the sport -- or, at least, he didn't -- so the conclusion is that he must need the money, and that's what this comeback is really all about.

Not exactly.

Mike Williams has worked to lose more than 100 pounds. (Getty Images)
Williams is pulling down a minimum salary, and while that's substantial it's not what has him back in the NFL challenging for -- yep, you heard this right -- a starting job. Williams said he missed the game and wants to play because, well, he wants to play, just as he wanted to play a year ago when he considered returning.

"I love the competition," he said. "I felt like my time here wasn't done."

In fact, his time with the Redskins might just be beginning. They found him after someone left a Dallas Morning News story about Williams in the office of executive vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato shortly before the April draft. The article talked about how Williams wanted to return to football, and how he was committed to dropping a weight that had soared to 450 pounds.

Redskins: Camp report | Five things to know

Conveniently for Cerrato, Williams and his wife were staying in the Washington area with guard Derrick Dockery, so he investigated. After a workout, Washington signed him, told him to get in shape for the June OTAs, then let Williams do the rest.

CLICK LINK FOR ENTIRE ARTICLE

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.