• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

I Guess It's Time to Talk about the Draft and FA

Go Deep

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea's on what we need to do talent wise? I guess it's really hard to know without being inside the head of Allen and Shanahan, but that's what the internet is for.:)

Imo there really is only 2 approaches to fix this mess called the Redskins. A quick fix solution or a slower rebuilding solution. For the sake of arguement i'm going with the quick fix approach, plus, i don't think i'll make it through a long term approach as a fan.

With that being said, i don't think it's possible for a quick fix without a GREAT QB and Cam Newton is my front runner. If Andrew Luck comes out also it would be a hard dilemma. Luck is probably more of the sure bet, and i mean sure bet, but Newton has a far greater upside. If both QB's come out we'll have a shot at atleast one of them i think. Just to be clear, i think McNabb is plenty enough with a team around him, but he's not going to get it done alone and carry a team. Also, i don't see how he fit's into any long term approach with his age, maybe at the best.

The next situation i would address is our horrible D line. We HAVE to bring in atleast one guy who can play, preferably two. I have no idea on how to go about this wether it be in the draft or FA. I'm open to any suggestion's.

The last critical situation i would address is the O line. Again, imo we need atleast one, preferably two and i have no idea on how to accomplish this either.

So let's have it!:help:

Regarding the draft, I will say one thing...

Regardless of the position that the Redskins go after, they need to ensure that the player they select is as close to a sure thing as possible (if there is such a thing when it comes to drafting). Study the player, scout properly, do your homework, and ensure that whoever is brought in will be able to contribute for an extended period of time as the team grows and progresses. Considering the sad state that the franchise is currently in, and has been in for quite some time, we can ill afford choosing the high risk/high reward types in my opinion. Doing so and missing might potentially set this team back even further and longer. Draft smart instead of drafting in a manner that makes a splash and headlines.

- CH

I agree CH. I'm just not that much up on any possible O or D linemen to make comment on in FA or the draft. McNabb will do for now and we definitely have bigger problem's than him. I'm just tired of us being out of playoff contention mid-season on a regular basis. In all practical sense it may be atleast 2 yrs before a having a real chance at the playoffs.

I hate to sound Snyderesque, but i just can't take it anymore.:(

Unless there's a Haloti Ngata or Shamalamadingdong Suh available when we pick, we have enough needs that we can go BPA. Haslett's freakin' 3-4 means we have a lot of holes to fill on Defense. We also need to improve the O-Line and receiving corps.

I suppose we can fill a slot or two via FA but our first round pick should be used in the trenches. Then again, that's almost always my stance unless you can get a franchis QB.

Im with Jimbo on this, as I said in the other thread, we dont just have one or two holes we need an infusion of talent across the board, so BPA at any of our need spots is the way to go. NT (if we keep this idiocy going) C, G, DE, LB,WR, CB, S, RT,is the order or priority to me at this moment.

I think we will need to be very active in free agency as we just have too many holes to stand pat and draft but im hoping no more 34 year old band aids.

I say a huge no on newton based on 2 things, 1- his type of QB has had one guy successful in the modern era and a couple guys who were marginally successful ( Steve,young then Vick and sort of cunningham and young and none of them were good until after more than a couple years. 2- his character concerns. the new NFL requires you to be able to throw the ball, nobody cares if you run a 4.3 40 when your job is throwing.

I really hope they can pull off a trade like a few years back to pick up another high pick. Three 2nd round picks again would be nice, maybe a late 1st and a third for our 1st? I don't know the value of draft choices and I would be willing to take slightly less than the so-called value just to get a couple of players instead of just one who may be great instead of two who would likely be good.

We are so desperate for picks I just feel a trade down scenario is our only option.

Ideally, I'd like to see us trade down to the middle of the first round and draft a stud Center (someone like Stefen Wisniewski or a highly rated guard). Unfortunately, trading down is hard enough as it is and this year's OL draft class isn't very strong. Which leaves us at BPA and maybe getting a LB that would fit the 3-4 scheme and replace McIntosh who most likely won't be back, or Lorenzo who is way out of position. Von Miller seems like a very interesting prospect for a 3-4 OLB.

If neither of those then we need to look at WR, in which case I want AJ Green

thats a good point slacky, its not easy to trade down. for me it would all depend on if a blue chip player is available at our pick, and if hes a guy who is gonna help RIGHT NOW like an Olineman or linebacker or a guy who is gonna need a year or two like most Dlinemen or receivers.

A trade down from the first 5 picks is much harder than if we are sitting somewhere around the 10 number, it wouldn't be as difficult because it wouldn't cost a team so much. I like Wisniewski too, but if we could get even later in round one Mike Pouncey in Florida can play center and guard and could be available and a good value late in the first or early second.

thats a good point slacky, its not easy to trade down. for me it would all depend on if a blue chip player is available at our pick, and if hes a guy who is gonna help RIGHT NOW like an Olineman or linebacker or a guy who is gonna need a year or two like most Dlinemen or receivers.

Wisniewski is strong enough and smart enough to step in immediately and be an improvement (though that's really not saying much, thanks Rabach). While I think that a player like AJ Green still needs a year or two to mature and become the player that he truly should be. I think Miller could potentially step in as a rookie and have an Orakpo-esque effect on our defense. But it's still rather early to be talking about draft prospects. Hopefully once the combine comes around we'll have some good discussions on this board. I'm truly looking forward to that.

A trade down from the first 5 picks is much harder than if we are sitting somewhere around the 10 number, it wouldn't be as difficult because it wouldn't cost a team so much. I like Wisniewski too, but if we could get even later in round one Mike Pouncey in Florida can play center and guard and could be available and a good value late in the first or early second.

Pouncey would be good value, in all honesty getting both would be even better. But he is no where near the player that his brother is, and there are better OG prospects out there. Also, Wisniewski can play Guard as well, he filled in during a few games when Penn State's Guard went out. Did a damn good job at it too.

And to cover the OP's wish for Cam Newton...I'm just going to say one thing NO.

He's a gimmick QB in a spread offense. He WILL fail in the NFL, I guarantee that. If this team goes and spends a top 10 pick on Cam Newton, I will have lost all hope in this organization. There are better prospects out there in the later rounds (take a look at Nevada's Colin Kaepernick and Iowa's Ricky Stanzi). Don't buy in to all the hype surrounding Newton, he is yet to show that he is anything close to capable of running a pro style offense. Reminds me of Jason Campbell just a bit bigger and faster.

Rodney Hudson has been rated above Pouncey and below him depending on whose draft board you are looking at. I just went through Walterfootball's and they had Pouncey going at 29, and Wisnieski going at 31, so take it for what it's worth. Hudson went to 48.

If we could somehow land 2 of those 3 I would be happy. I just think it is imperative to draft O-line first and foremost, but only if we can trade down because there are no interior lineman worthy of a top ten pick. If we don't trade down, I just don't know what I would do.

As for Cam Newton, it concerns me that he could have been involved in illegally obtaining a laptop, perhaps been paid to attend a college and played for three different colleges in a short span of time. No thanks!

Rodney Hudson has been rated above Pouncey and below him depending on whose draft board you are looking at. I just went through Walterfootball's and they had Pouncey going at 29, and Wisnieski going at 31, so take it for what it's worth. Hudson went to 48.

If we could somehow land 2 of those 3 I would be happy. I just think it is imperative to draft O-line first and foremost, but only if we can trade down because there are no interior lineman worthy of a top ten pick. If we don't trade down, I just don't know what I would do.

As for Cam Newton, it concerns me that he could have been involved in illegally obtaining a laptop, perhaps been paid to attend a college and played for three different colleges in a short span of time. No thanks!

That's gonna be the key to figuring out what Shanny's approach is. If we draft OL in the first 2 rounds, then we know it's a long term fix. If we go WR/OLB in the 1st round, then we know it's another quick fix year in the hopes that Donovan can get us to the promised land (which ironically won't happen behind our o-line)

Eh, still too early.

1. Maybe a young guy steps up in these last three games, and changes a priority.

2. If the new CBA has a rookie salary cap, and let's hope it does, and it's in place by draft time, and let's hope it is, it will become easier to trade down out of the top slots, 1-10. The NFL would love more trading in the first round. TV ratings, and all.

3 Also, there's no guarantee, that in the new CBA, they won't prohibit the wealthier teams, like ours, from be able to sign all the free agents we want. The little markets will site "parity" concerns. Legitimately, I might add. This will change strategy, as well.

So, no. I'll watch the last three games. Enjoy it as much as I can, and deal with the offseason, in the offseason.

It's going to be a long one.

Unless there's a Haloti Ngata or Shamalamadingdong Suh available when we pick, we have enough needs that we can go BPA. Haslett's freakin' 3-4 means we have a lot of holes to fill on Defense. We also need to improve the O-Line and receiving corps.

As far a I'm concerned, the first order of business is to determine if Haslett and the 3-4 is even going to be here next year

I'm of the mindset to trade down, if we can do it sensibly.

I've been saying this for years

The line

The line

The LINE

I don't want anyone to even sniff at a receiver. We can pick them up in free agency AFTER they've proven themselves with another club

Shanahan typically takes OTs high (Ryan Clady, George Foster), and drafts all other OL (if he drafts them at all) in the later rounds. So those of you who want an OC/OG in the 1st-2nd round, I think you're going to be disappointed. If we go OL in the first round, it'll probably be Derek Sherrod from Mississippi State, if he's available.

EDIT: The good news, Tom Nalen was a 7th round pick. So if we can get another one of those (possibly Eric Cook?), we'll be good.

I think we will go OLB in the 1st round (Ryan Kerrigan from Purdue, Von Miller from Texas A&M, Akeem Ayers from UCLA), or possibly NT depending on BPA. Not sure who is available at NT though.

I know it flies in the face of our true needs, and we probably won't be high enough to draft him, but I would love to see Pat Peterson in the burgundy and gold. The kid is pure speed, and would instantly upgrade our pathetic CB situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
This will probably sound bad, but I really hope the Skins take a long look at Alex Smith.

He is fairly mobile, and very smart. He has had the disservice of multiple offensive systems in his six years with SF and a poor recieving core. I think, with the right coaching and system, he could be very good. Of course, he could be damaged goods at this point. I have seen the guy throw some spectacular passes, of course many QBs do that every now and then.

Lanky, you may be right in regards to where Shanahan has drafted interior lineman in the past. He had the luxury of having a quality line when he got there, so he could take risks on lower round picks to see how they developed. And it worked out for him.

He does not have that luxury here. He must fix our O-line or we will have no success! We have been clamoring for this for 5 years now to no avail. If he bolsters the O-line first and foremost, that will automatically make the defense better since we will likely be able to get the running game going, eating up chunks of clock allowing our defense to be on the field less!

Since before our heralded Hogs, I remember hearing, you win the games in the trenches. I have heard that phrase for nearly 40 years! I witnessed greatness in DC because we won games in the trenches. For about 5 years now, we have watched our offensive line go from one of the better lines in the league when everyone was healthy to one of the worst because we did not concentrate on that position thinking we were one or 2 players away.

Our lines suck! And yes, we got a good one at LT. If healthy, maybe Brown can be a good one at RT, but our interior line is horrendous and needs and immediate upgrade, not a couple of guys who could develop. We need 1st and 2nd round quality. Now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.