• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

A Look at the Positive - Ryan Torain

Lanky Livingston

While most are clamoring for the heads of McNabb, both Shanahans, Danny Smith, Graham Gano, the one good thing about the game Sunday has been overlooked: Ryan Torain.

His 121 yards on 10 carries was a franchise record (since 1991, when this stat first started being kept), and the most in the NFL in 9 years. He finished with a bruising 172 yards on 24 carries, a 7.2 yard per carry average. Even if you take out his 54-yard scamper the first time he touched the ball, he still ran for 118 yards on 23 carries, a 5.1 ypc average.

The burning question in my mind is: why did we get away from the run in the red zone? Seems like the Redskins consistently over-thought themselves in the red zone. Example: the ridiculous shovel-pass to Moss. Just run the ball! Torain is dominating the Bucs defense!

Yes, the play calling in the red zone was awful. I think my migraine kicked back in when the shovel pass play was "executed". Thanks for the reminder. More of a dull pain now then sharp, but still there.

Torain is absolutely a positive. I would like to see him continue to get carries, but I worry about his health long term. We need a burner to share some carries to keep him fresh. I would be fine with auditioning Williams and Davis through the remainder of the season to see which of them we will keep as the 3rd RB next year for when Torain inevitably gets hurt, and adding a speed guy in the draft.

Torain may turn out to be the between the tackles runner the Redskins need.

But it also seems clear that Washington also needs a home run back to work in tandem with #46.

A player that can turn the corner on the defense and take a screen pass 60 yards for a touchdown.

Think Jacobs and Bradshaw in 2007 with the Giants.

There was some commentary that he got tired, having just gotten back on the field after his injury

And there was no one left in the stable to give the ball to

Torain should have been fed the ball like a fat kid at a pie eating contest all second half. McNabb didnt do bad yesterday but when you have someone who is obviously "seeing" the entire field you ride that horse until he is done.

McNabb didn't do bad? Did you see the pass to Cooley in the EndZone?

what really hampered this team in the second half (before the last drive) was the poor passing of McNabb.

he was consistently throwing the ball in the dirt and the Redskins were going 3 and out repeatedly, which wore down the defense. The defense had been playing well, only giving up 9 points.

Then Freeman was finally able to exploit that matchup with McIntosh/Fletcher on Winslow.

It was bound to happen eventually.

But between that fast first half and the last drive of the game, what did McNabb do?

Not much.

We've got ourselves an old and injured quarterback that is now a pocket passer.

Part of the X factor with McNabb used to be his mobility.

At 34 he no longer has the durability to play 16 games effectively.

That's what the Eagles must have seen last year when McNabb went belly up against Dallas twice in the final weeks.

I used to do a thread called heroes and goats, maybe I should do that here, the worst thing is that he had 121 yards ON TEN CARRIES, on what planet does a guy who is averaging 12 ypc, only get 10 carries.

121 yards on 10 carries in the first quarter. That's a 40-carry pace, kind of ridiculous. The question you SHOULD be asking, is why he only finished with 24 carries, instead of 30-35.

I also agree with the complimentary back idea...hopefully they'll draft a CJ Spiller type home-run hitter this offseason.

Torain may turn out to be the between the tackles runner the Redskins need.

But it also seems clear that Washington also needs a home run back to work in tandem with #46.

A player that can turn the corner on the defense and take a screen pass 60 yards for a touchdown.

Think Jacobs and Bradshaw in 2007 with the Giants.

or riggs byner with this team?

121 yards on 10 carries in the first quarter. That's a 40-carry pace, kind of ridiculous. The question you SHOULD be asking, is why he only finished with 24 carries, instead of 30-35.

the old workhorse backs used to get 40 carries , walker, dickerson etc, but yeah at the very least he should have gotten at least 30-35 carries and maybe even (get ready for a revolutionary thought) some near the goalline?

Yeah, not getting carries inside the 5 for Torain really pissed me off. Like Lanky said, the coaches got a little too cute, over thought things.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Not to derail the thread, but who were our starting O-Linemen in this game?

The run blocking really seemed a lot better than in previous games. I was curious if Torrain's performance was perhaps enhanced by a shuffling of personnel, especially in the center of the line.

I also agree with the complimentary back idea...hopefully they'll draft a CJ Spiller type home-run hitter this offseason.

I want Noel Divine, but the odds of picking him up are slim I'm guessing. I watched him for 4 years in high school, and now in college. I've never liked his character, but it seems he's gotten on the right track in college.

The Redskins to be fair hit a team with a relatively light front seven that played its safeties deep. McCoy left after a shoulder injury in the first half.

Washington was not up against a top 10 defensive front.

We will see what happens against Dallas next week. That will be a truer test for the OL, especially for Rabach and Lichtensteiger inside who are only 289 and 295.

well, again let's see Act II before we annoint anyone :)

If the Redskins can't block the Dallas front and Torain has 12 carries for 10 yards then all the air goes out of the bag.

It is consistency that this team has been missing for years.

The Redskins have habitually followed up a close win or loss with a game where they are taken apart.

And too often that has occurred against a division opponent.

59-28 and 31-7 were the last two division game scores for Washington.

Not even competitive :(

I have no problem with the shovel pass call. It works on occasion. If we had a TD come from it, people would say it is a brilliant call.

As for Torain, he was awesome yesterday, as was the run blocking. It should have been, especially with a beat up Tampa team. They were horrible against the run prior to all of their injuries.

I think Davis could be a complimentary back, but he has to learn to pass block and he has to learn quick! He was pulled after whiffing on a block and he was never heard from again.

With an 18 game schedule starting next season, it is imperative to find another back. We may or may not have him on the roster. One thing I do not like about Torain is his upright running style. This style of runner's careers are quite a bit shorter than the others.

Is that for sure? I didn't think they'd voted on it yet.

From what I have read, that is already agreed upon between the NFL and NFLPA. It is a major hurdle in how the money is going to be divided. The NFL has stated that an 18 game schedule is imperative to the NFLPA getting the monetary value that they demand.

There are a lot more issues of course. I think the NFLPA counter acted with 'less contact in offseason' practices. I also read that there will be two more roster spots, which the NFLPA does not agree on, they want more.

A couple of weeks ago, it was reported that everything was going smoother. However, since, things have taken a turn.

I guess nothing will be set in stone until contracts are signed. I am just going by what I have read.

This scheme in general and this line in particular do better against undersized Dlines that are aggressive, players getting upfield make lanes, and Torain while not very explosive or fast is solid at one cut and go running. remember the Colts? we got a good running game against them, against the Giants not at all and the Pies tried to blitz us all game last time, I think this time they will be more sneaky. until we replace Rabach teams with a good nose will shut the run down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.