• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Remembering better days a positive redskins thread

Rymanofthenorth

BGObsessed
Reaction score
I live in the warmest city in the coldest provinc
Alma Mater
UTEP
OK, I simply cannot get excited about much about our current team, even when we do something good (make some slight adjustments on D, actually run the ball well) we balance it by adding some heretofore unknown issue like random breakdowns on specials, to as one poster put it " snatch defeat from the jaws of victory."

I am tired of being a negative nancy and actually disliking the team I have loved since I was a kid.

Go watch this, it will make you feel better. I love when the commentator says at the start " a team that has postseason play a TRADITION"

It actually gives me chills, makes me remember being in school and being excited all week for sunday afternoons, I remember seeing RFK being packed to rafters and dreaming of watching a game there, I remember watching Charles Mann and I remember being a fan of a team that backed down to noone.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVgKxiHyyO4[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q2hmByN9gc&feature=related[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_crQRSqS7c&feature=related[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwHkNVuGRQE&feature=related[/media]

when people say that a 3-4 is better because our 4-3 is from an era with less passing I often wonder if they watched football in the nineties? the red gun in atlanta, the run and shoot in houston, the Detriot lions run and shoot, the Kgun in Buffalo, all of those offences were pretty damn good at passing the football and WE STOMPED THEM.

I needed this, im glad my buddy (who is a cowpies fan) sent me this as trash talk. this is what we were and hopefully can be again. This team is the epitome of why most of us were redskins fans, not a lot of superstars on this team , just a LOT of guys who played hard and with fire mixed with a few HOF players.

Yep, Dan Snyder was safely tucked away at Woodward High School watching the Redskins on TV at home with his Dad.

How nice would it be to have a top owner again? Somebody that evaluated the fit of the executives working for the team well and who himself was a guy that people had respect for.

My gut tells me that people fear Snyder and some others hate him intensely.

But I don't get the feeling anyone embraces him as the owner of the team.

I did at first, probably because I saw what cheap owners who dont want to spend money can do to a team. Now I gotta say I wish he would A- get someone who knows football to teach him. and B- hire some people who know football better than the average fan.

I think a lot of his moves come because he is a fan they seem like fanlike reactions lol.

If you want to go down memory lane, look at replays from the NFC Championship games versus Dallas and the 49ers. I was lucky enough to be at both.

Ryman, RFK was a great place to watch the Skins. Wasn't the fanciest place, but it would rock.

I was 11 years old when the Redskins won the only Super Bowl title I've experienced as a fan of the team. I still have that game tucked away safely on a VHS tape (maybe that was a sign of what was to come...). Several years ago, I acquired all the Redskins playoff games from their Super Bowl years on DVD from some gracious people who are now running the show here at BGO. I find myself having to resort to watching some of these old games every January, to remind myself what it feels like to root for a team that has a realistic, fighting chance come playoff time. For me, I remember as a kid how I would always be cautious as a fan and expect the worse. I remember facing the Falcons in the playoffs and being worried in the days approaching the game, as they were the flavour of the month with their "too legit to quit" act. I also recall being worried about Barry Sanders running circles around our defense in the NFC Championship game. I also feared the Bills because I was saying there would be no way they would go and lose back to back Super Bowls, especially after the heart-breaker vs. the Giants. The best part about that team in '91, and I suppose our teams from past Super Bowl years, was that they always stepped up to face whatever challenge was in front of them. That team not only proved me wrong as a fan, they basically shouted to me "how dare you have no confidence in us!" based on the way they manhandled all three of those teams in the playoffs. Nowadays, when I expect the Redskins to lose, they do just that and fold like a book. It a damn shame knowing that we have such a passionate base of fans for the Redskins, and the organization cannot seem to figure it out.

When you consider the history, resources, and fanbase that this franchise has, there is no way that we should be bottom feeders for the good part of a 20 year time frame. I suppose not having a competant owner might be the missing ingredient in the equation. Otherwise, I have no other way of explaining why we go through this nightmare every year.

Last edited:
I was at the Atlanta game. It was great not only seeing all those cushions, but being reminded of a time when we had an owner that would spring for stuff like that for the fans.

I saw a thread on some other board not too long ago titled something like "What was it like to see a winning Redskins team?"

Saddest post I've ever seen anywhere

But hey, thanks for posting those highlights!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwDXQgIRTYw&feature=related[/media]

my first Redskin game ever at RFK? That first NFC championship game! nothing can ever top that FIRST leap over the top.

Funny thing, history, when the ability to pick and choose what one wishes to, can conveniently paint whatever picture is desired.

At the conclusion of this season, we will have played 78 seasons as a franchise. This will be the 42nd non winning season. Quick math would seem to indicate that as being over half. Only 9 of which came under Snyder, to date.

We once had a stretch of 13 consecutive non-winning seasons.
Not under Snyder.

We had a bigot owner who was the last to have black players on his teams, only after being forced to do so.
Not Snyder.

We had a LAWYER as an owner. 'Nuff said.
Not Snyder.

We had an owner who moved the team out of our beloved RFK, into a stadium that most seem to hate, and began the raises in ticket prices to pay for it.
Not Snyder.

And, we have put up with every owner, and their numerous character flaws, regardless of how much of an arrogant ass they could be, because they presided over Championship winning teams a handful of times.
Also, not Snyder.

Whenever the wins start to come, all will be forgiven. Until then, he's an easy, justifiable target. I just don't consider shooting at sitting ducks very entertaining.

I realize some do.

This thread has nothing to do with Dan Snyder, this thread has to do with my memories as a kid and other fans memories of a better time.

My first season truly following this team was 1982, my peewee coach was a huge redskins fan and got several of us to start following football (in the far north most of were hockey kids) then Riggins came up north for a hunt and my dad was his guide, after that I was sold.

the thing about the late eighties and the early nineties was that for some of us it helped define important parts of our lives, in the early nineties not only was my favourite team doing well but my life had become interesting as well. I was finally done with high school and starting college, I had met my fiancee and her dad loved the skins as well, I was part of a family for the first time in a long time, all good things. the sunday afternoons I spent watching the team were only part of the experience.

Now one thing about me if you know me, is Ive been successful at every level of football, in peewee we won provincials, in bantam my palmer 49'ers won provincials, in high school we went undefeated until the provincial final but then lost in a game that ended up costing the opposing coach his job because as it turned out his team had been playing a few college age players. in college we turned around a team that had gone without a decent team in a decade, and in semi pro Ive won 8 league championships and 4 national championships. I believe that winning becomes a habit and I also believe a large part of my unwillingness to accept failure comes in no small part from the teams I followed as a kid, the Oilers from the 1980's and the skins from the 80's were both dominant teams who rarely played poorly.

What saddens me more than anything through all of this is that we have come to accept failure, not so much because we really accept it but by our actions when this team has been bad. a few years ago there was a fan revolt, fans started carrying signs about the ownership, but it wasnt so much because the team was bad but because of his refusal to lower prices?

I want this team to be good again, and I will say when I think we are going down the worng path and I will not shy away from telling it like I see it. I would hope other fans would do the same.

now if you will excuse me im gonna go watch the playoff dvd from 1991 and enjoy some real memories.

If you want to go down memory lane, look at replays from the NFC Championship games versus Dallas and the 49ers. I was lucky enough to be at both.

Ryman, RFK was a great place to watch the Skins. Wasn't the fanciest place, but it would rock.

man you were lucky! lol, I am still upset at myself that I didnt go to RFK at least once, I was working overseas the last season but I should have made it more of a priority.

This thread has nothing to do with Dan Snyder, this thread has to do with my memories as a kid and other fans memories of a better time.

My first season truly following this team was 1982, my peewee coach was a huge redskins fan and got several of us to start following football (in the far north most of were hockey kids) then Riggins came up north for a hunt and my dad was his guide, after that I was sold.

the thing about the late eighties and the early nineties was that for some of us it helped define important parts of our lives, in the early nineties not only was my favourite team doing well but my life had become interesting as well. I was finally done with high school and starting college, I had met my fiancee and her dad loved the skins as well, I was part of a family for the first time in a long time, all good things. the sunday afternoons I spent watching the team were only part of the experience.

Now one thing about me if you know me, is Ive been successful at every level of football, in peewee we won provincials, in bantam my palmer 49'ers won provincials, in high school we went undefeated until the provincial final but then lost in a game that ended up costing the opposing coach his job because as it turned out his team had been playing a few college age players. in college we turned around a team that had gone without a decent team in a decade, and in semi pro Ive won 8 league championships and 4 national championships. I believe that winning becomes a habit and I also believe a large part of my unwillingness to accept failure comes in no small part from the teams I followed as a kid, the Oilers from the 1980's and the skins from the 80's were both dominant teams who rarely played poorly.

What saddens me more than anything through all of this is that we have come to accept failure, not so much because we really accept it but by our actions when this team has been bad. a few years ago there was a fan revolt, fans started carrying signs about the ownership, but it wasnt so much because the team was bad but because of his refusal to lower prices?

I want this team to be good again, and I will say when I think we are going down the worng path and I will not shy away from telling it like I see it. I would hope other fans would do the same.

now if you will excuse me im gonna go watch the playoff dvd from 1991 and enjoy some real memories.

right on brotha!

excellence matters in all walks of life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.