A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
Game 12 - Philly. No biggie. Just a season in the balance ...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0

Thread: Rak Being Held

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

Default Rak Being Held

Seems like it happens on every play, here is a nice visual:

http://www.tbd.com/blogs/tbd-skins/2...stly-5847.html

I do hope the team isn't blaming the loss on this one play. Yes, it looks egregious, particularly bad, but we screwed up enough other plays to prevent us from bitching.
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can't believe the ref was looking down field versus and missed the hold. Orakpo is frustrated at how he is being held and not getting the calls.

You can't blame the loss on this play, but way we are playing missed calls like this are magnified.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Air Force

Shanny needs to get in refs heads early and get them to focus on this. He's got enough street cred to get the refs attention
    0 0 0 0

Formerly known as ...............Sarge

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Shanny needs to get in refs heads early and get them to focus on this. He's got enough street cred to get the refs attention
    Yes. I have been a little disappointed he hasn't done this so far.
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

BGObsessed
    I live in the warmest city in the coldest province
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    UTEP

the issue is how Rak rushes the passer, when you attack the center of the man and you use a bullrush constantly to set up your moves, you get held more, his pass rush is that of a DE who is concerned with keeping contain, not that of a pure pass rusher. When you force an OT to extend his arms when blocking, the holds become easier to see right off the bat and you get more calls.

Watch Ware from the Pies, he uses more swims, spins and double moves than Rak does, he uses a sweet first step ripwith a pure speed rush that Rak needs to learn to use consistently. when I see Raks first step go right into the OT rather than upfield and forcing the OT to move his feet I often groan out loud.

These moves are not instinctive, they need to be taught, learned and practiced.
    0 0 0 0

2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Better yet, he needs to blast the refereeing at a press conference, and get a big fat fine. Draws more attention.
    0 0 0 0

"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen"

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

Quote Originally Posted by Ax View Post
    Better yet, he needs to blast the refereeing at a press conference, and get a big fat fine. Draws more attention.
    This was my first thought.

Also, the technique angle was brought up awhile ago by BigMike. Regardless of whether or not its a technique thing, it is illegal in the NFL to hold a guy. He is clearly being held on what SEEMS to be 50-60% of pass-plays in which he is a rusher...which means whatever he is doing is working. We just need those yellow hankies to come out.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    UTEP

Quote Originally Posted by Lanky Livingston View Post
    This was my first thought.

Also, the technique angle was brought up awhile ago by BigMike. Regardless of whether or not its a technique thing, it is illegal in the NFL to hold a guy. He is clearly being held on what SEEMS to be 50-60% of pass-plays in which he is a rusher...which means whatever he is doing is working. We just need those yellow hankies to come out.

I didnt see Big Mikes post but he is correct if he is saying that a large part of Raks issue is that he isnt helping himself out with his chosen moves.

I agree he is getting held a lot, I dont agree that "its working" because we havent gotten the plays we needed and we cant depend on the refs to actually do their job.
    0 0 0 0

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

I have seen it done to Rak all season long! I thought his situation was unique, but I started watching and see it going on a lot throughout the league. I am just wondering if it has anything to do with the new placement of the referee? Is he out of position now with the 10 yard drop to the side of the QB?
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    UTEP

its more that Refs are hesitant to call even the most blatant holds, its better to protect the qb's as much as possible.

if you see guys getting the arm around the neck, its alomost always a failed rip move off of a bullrush, the refs dont call that as much as if a guy gets the edge and the OT reaches to hold.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

From what I have noticed, the main holding calls are when the defender gets dragged down or there is a blatant reach.

I agree with Ryman and Mike, Rak needs some new moves. If he does not obtain them soon, he will be just an average player. You cannot expect to get a holding call everytime, at least that appears to be what he is expecting. If he wants to be dominant, like we all want him to be, then he needs more variety.

I put this on the coaches as well. They should be opening his eyes to new moves. By the time they are done with him, he should be ready for the ballet.
    0 0 0 0