• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Cake or Death: Information

Goaldeje

The Legend
Reaction score
Alma Mater
James Madison
I watched the movie Sneakers with my 10 and 13 year olds last Friday. Terrific movie with Robert Redford, Sidney Poitier, Dan Akroyd, River Phoenix, David Straitharn, Ben Kingsley, Mary McDonnell and James Earl Jones, among others. Fun, ensemble cast, ahead of its time, technologically, and just a darn good popcorn flick. The kids even liked it.

Anyway, at the end of the movie, with a gun pointed at Robert Redford, Ben Kingsley says, "There's a war out there old friend, and it's not about who get the guns and bullets. It's about who controls the information."

More Here

Nice read, but I gotta be honest with you. They could lie through their teeth all they want so long as the team wins games. We forget because it's been so long, but none of this off-the-field drama means anything to fans of a winning team.

If by some miracle Shanahan turns this sorry franchise around, he could tell me his momma is a flying pink studebaker and I'd just smile and nod.

Great read, but i disagree with this little part....

So why not let us in on your plans a little. Heck, fake it like Gibbs did. Gibbs would talk to the fans through the media for hours without telling us much of anything. But we felt loved.

-I hated a JG's press conference. He could deflect a question better than any politician ever dreamed of and lead you down a road of meaningless bable you could ever never imagine.

-I don't like how he exposed, how to win. He would break down, offense, defense and special teams in these press conferences, and if you could actually sit through a full one, there was a lot to learn.

I'm alright with Shanahan. We suck, nothing more to say really, and ultimately he will be held responsible and him and most everyone else knows this.

Last edited:
So why not rip away the shroud of secrecy? Is it an ego thing? Probably.

If you're too open and honest about your mistakes then the media will begin to pick you apart as having too many flaws. It will also cause the owner and perhaps some of the players to question whether you know what you're doing. That makes it an image thing and ultimately a job security thing.

Stop trying to over control the information. We can handle it. Really.

Some of us can, but having read enough internet message board posts it is clear that many can't. And as I noted above, the media would have a field day.

If you're too open and honest about your mistakes then the media will begin to pick you apart as having too many flaws. It will also cause the owner and perhaps some of the players to question whether you know what you're doing. That makes it an image thing and ultimately a job security thing.

Some of us can, but having read enough internet message board posts it is clear that many can't. And as I noted above, the media would have a field day.

I think you are absolutely right, which is indicative of the culture we live in, as well as the insecurity of Shanahan and most coaches. Shame really.

Again, then fake it. Throw the fans a bone. There was a different feeling coming out of Redskins Park when Gibbs was here (both times). I still never learned but so much about X's and O's when Joe spoke, but man I felt loved as a fan. I felt important. I don't think I ever listened to a press conference after a home win when Joe Gibbs did not credit the fans.

I know it's stupid and meaningless, and PR all the way, but when things are in disarray as much as they are right now, you gotta do something.

Don't you?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.