• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

December 7, 1941

Burgundy Burner

The Commissioner
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Virginia
We will never forget.

07-pearl-harbor-excursion.jpg

pearl-harbor-mem-day.jpg

Great post.

My uncle was in the Navy and served in South Pacific. He never told me all that he saw during this time, but heard some great stories.

I went last may when I went to Oahu, its such a beautiful place that you forget what a scene of carnage it must have been. they did a great job of making a museum there. It is rather interesting that many Japanese go there as well.

Days like today we need to remember that we dont simply have all these wonderful rights, people died for them.

When I was stationed there, I used to take the day off and take Sarge Jr down to listen to the old timer that were there tell their stories. It was pretty cool. Unfortuntately, they are getting harder and harder to find. Thank 'em if you see 'em

I visited Pearl Harbor when I was out there, met a few survivors, and thanked them. It was a very moving place, and I definitely got choked up out there on the monument.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/20101208_Reunion_turns_bittersweet.html

Where they once raced frantically to survive fire and bombs, the Pearl Harbor survivors who returned yesterday on the 69th anniversary of the surprise Japanese attack lingered at a new $56 million visitor center, retold war stories, relished the camaraderie of other veterans -- and wondered if they would make it back again.

About 3,000 people, including 200 survivors, attended the annual commemoration at the back lawn of the expanded visitor center.

Most of the survivors are in or approaching their 90s, and infirmity is taking a toll on those who made it through World War II.

DeWayne Chartier, 93, who was on the battleship Pennsylvania, came from Walnut Creek, Calif., with his two daughters for the commemoration and had a front-row seat for the event.

"Most important" was how Chartier described his feeling about being at Pearl Harbor yesterday morning -- even though he is now blind. "I was there in the original cast, and here I am again."

wonder why the environmental movement has never gotten wrapped around the axel over the oil leakage.

Another year has past and those who are able to tell this story are fewer and further between. I awakened this morning and my thoughts were directed to those who died and those who fought for their lives and this country that day 70 years ago. I may not have stories of the location nor memories of family who were there, but I will never forget what I have been taught about the significance of that day for all Americans.

God Bless the USA!

To those who served on that fateful day...

It has now been seventy years since the attack on Pearl Harbor. Due to the passage of time, the Pearl Harbor Survivors Assocation will meet one final time today. Before you exit the stage of public recognition, we want you know what is in our hearts.

We will be forever grateful for your service, courage, allegiance, and sacrifice. We are your children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. Your message will continue to be proclaimed to all future generations - for this is OUR duty to you.

We Will Never Forget.

70th-Pearl-Harbor1.png

Hard to believe it's now 70 years.

I remember being a kid and WWII vets were just middle aged men. Now they are all but gone.

As we get older we will remember this day. Many of us knew or had family that served in WWII. Some of us may even had family that served in the Navy.

Question is will future generations remember or fully understand the importance of Dec. 7th?

When I was stationed in Hawaii, I used to love going to Pearl Harbor on Dec 7th and listening to the old timers tell the tale of what happened that day. I remember one vet, who looked like he had had a long day, took time to take Sarge Jr to the side and give him a one on one about what happened that day, even though I'm sure he didn't feel like doing it.

Time marches on and it's sad to know these old timers and others like the Doolittle Raiders are passing from the scene. I think we're losiong 5000 of them a day now. Say thanks to them if you get the chance. We won't have the opportunity much longer

Never been to Hawaii, but if I ever do go, the USS Arizona Memorial is on my "Must See" list.

I obviously know of it as part of our history, but was also reminded often through the years, in following one of my musical heroes.

http://www.zimbio.com/USS+Arizona+M...Elvis+Presley+1961+benefit+concert+remembered

Ralph Edwards, host of the hit TV series, "This is Your Life," kicked off the public fundraising efforts on his Dec. 3, 1958 show when he featured Arizona crewmember and Medal of Honor recipient Samuel Fuqua. More than $95,000 was raised.

But contributions and attention dwindled over the next couple years, with less than half of the $500,000 raised. Presley's manager, Colonel Tom Parker, read about the stalled efforts in the Los Angeles Examiner.

Presley, who was already scheduled to be in the islands to film "Blue Hawaii," agreed to help by performing a benefit concert. It was his last live stage performance for more than eight years.

"Both of these celebrities, one that kicked it off and one that came to its aid two years later, are important," Martinez said. "I think this is the beginning of the influence of celebrities in national campaigns of fundraising in our country. ... It wasn't just a concert. It was an event that had national attention and media coverage."

Question is will future generations remember or fully understand the importance of Dec. 7th?

The answer is no. I have a daughter in Middle School and one in High School, and it wasn't even discussed.

2012%5C148%5C2012-05-28T034336Z_01_HAW10_RTRIDSP_0_USA.jpg

To those who served on that fateful day...

It has now been seventy-one years since the attack on Pearl Harbor. Due to the passage of time, the Pearl Harbor Survivors Assocation will met one final time last year. Before you exit the stage of public recognition, we want you know what is in our hearts.

We will be forever grateful for your service, courage, allegiance, and sacrifice. We are your children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. Your message will continue to be proclaimed to all future generations - for this is OUR duty to you.

We Will Never Forget.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.