• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

So what are you going to do about it?

Hog Fever

Vescere bracis meis
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
My boss can be a real tool-bag at times, but he's no fool. If you take some kind of problem to him (usually thinly veiled bitching) he will give you his full attention. When you finish your explanation he always asks a variation of a very simple question “So what are you going to do about it?” When he asks this he expects you to have an answer. We've all learned to have your stuff together before even go to him. It saves everyone time and effort.

We all know this team has issues. The product on the field is sub-par. The game experience is sub-par as well. So if you were in charge, what would you do about it?

truth be told? I would scrap the 3-4, I would start playing the young guys we have at lb and on offence I would simplify everything and start playing all the young guys including beck if he beat out mcnabb in practice. I would start poaching other teams young PR guys and I would cut every single player over 31 tomorrow morning. I would tell the guys who are still here that I will incent the right behaviour and I would tell everyone that the best player plays PERIOD. I dont care if you have been washing hasletts underwear (that must be how holiday has been getting on the field) if you cant get it done we will find someone who can.

I might well consider if Haslett is the guy for the job. I'd also start a MAJOR youth movement and focus about 75% of my resources on buidling the trenches. Release a number of the older vets and take my lumps getting younger for a few years.

And I'd find the QB of the future in the next 2 drafts

Am I the Owner, GM or Head Coach?

I will simply take the role of owner since you said if I were in charge and that is the man in charge.

First thing I would do is bring in a real player personnel guy. I do not trust Shanahan to get that job done.

I would throw a ton of money at Eric DeCosta in Baltimore. Have him head up the Player Personnel department having the authority to say no to Shanahan, but not to Allen. Allen is still my GM. Take it back to something similar to what was more successful than any other format the Redskins front office has ever seen, Gibbs told Beathard what positions he needed filled and Beathard got the players. But I would throw Shanahan a bone, something that would give his son some opportunities based on performance.

I would tell Shanahan that he has one option, Haslett and the failed attempt at a 3-4 are done or he is. This is one of the very problems we have talked about ad nauseum in regards to Snyder's involvement, but I am a micro manager and you asked me what I would do. Being an owner who is involved, I would suggest to my front office to trade down, if possible, from what looks like a pick somewhere around 10. Obtain as many picks as possible in rounds 2 and 3 and go get offensive line! Offensive line! Offensive line!!!

Other than that, leave it up to the people I have put in place.

Last edited:
Actually, the game experience has gotten better at FedEx, They have done a better job with staff, the jumbotron is now awesome. You have more opportunities to catch out of town scores. In that aspect the Skins have done better.

The food and drinks are still too expensive. The Skins show way too many commercials (Rabach and Sellers selling a Ford truck get old quick). The parking is also god awful and thanks to an attendant/cops screwing up the traffic flow on our way out of FedEx for the Vikings game, we were stuck in the lot for at least an hour before getting out of FedEx.

As for the team.....be honest with the fans, you need to rebuild. Keep building that O and D line and get rid of guys who don't want to be here or are here for the money. If the Skins can have a strong O-line and D-line they can do a lot of things they can't do now.

truth be told? I would scrap the 3-4, I would start playing the young guys we have at lb and on offence I would simplify everything and start playing all the young guys including beck if he beat out mcnabb in practice. I would start poaching other teams young PR guys and I would cut every single player over 31 tomorrow morning. I would tell the guys who are still here that I will incent the right behaviour and I would tell everyone that the best player plays PERIOD. I dont care if you have been washing hasletts underwear (that must be how holiday has been getting on the field) if you cant get it done we will find someone who can.

I have to say, I would do much of the same, with the same attitude if I was doing this tomorrow except cutting everyone over 31. To start, switching back to a 4-3, I wouldn't want to scrap Fletcher and Carter. They both did very well last season in the 4-3. I also wouldn't cut Hunter the punter because of his age. I wouldn't cut anybody to be honest, not while there are still games to be played. We're too thin all over right now because of injuries. Having to replace guys this late in the season would be tough.

I don't think we need to simplify the O, we just need to find a way to block with what we have. I might even give Alexander some spot duty on offense as a blocking back.

Of course, this is if I were to do this tomorrow.

Well, because of the setup I gave in the original post I had some ideas ready to go before I posed the question.

Game Experience:
  1. I would hire someone who understands how to efficiently move traffic in and out of the stadium parking lots. It shouldn’t take 2 hours to get out of the lot after a game (not that it’s been a problem lately with folks leaving at half-time). Hire a few extra people and give them the orange flashlights. This is not that complicated. They have a NASCAR event here in town twice a year and they move an honest 100,000+ plus fans in and out very efficiently. Last time I went to a race it took me maybe 30 minutes to get to the interstate from the parking lot. Why does this top the list? Because it would be one of the easiest to fix.

2. I would take one of the end zones seating areas and reduce the ticket prices to the same price as the cheap seats. Turn it into the “Pig Pen”. Encourage people to make signs and to be rowdy (within reason of course). What real fan wouldn’t want to sit there? If the idea catches on do the other end zone as well.

3. Stop the block sales of tickets to the big vendors. I know it’s a lot of easy money to be made moving tickets like this but it kills me to go to games and see large sections of (insert hated team here) fans in our house. Yes, if the team were better some of this would stop, and yes, if the stadium was smaller some of this would stop, but this seems to be the most obvious solution. Give the tickets away to local area high schools or discount them to the local colleges. It would help build the young fan base too. Don’t sell out to the opposition for a quick buck.

4. Have a couple of simple combo pack value options for meals. A “Burger Pack”, “BBQ Pack” and “Hotdog Pack” all with a small fry and small drink for say….$10. This serves two purposes: Lines will move faster because a steady stream of these combos could be at the ready and the folks searching for value at the stadium can be satisfied. Beer folks, like me, would be on our own. We can’t expect beer bargains at the game. A cheap food option though, you’d be able to make your money back in volume.

First thing I would do is bring in a real player personnel guy. I do not trust Shanahan to get that job done......
Thom Loverro offers up his comments on Shanny's ineptitude regarding his personnel decisions. Not all of "his guys" are pro-bowlers by any means but it looks like his track record is not as bad as we are led to believe.

Don't know how Loverro stacks up against the rest of the pundits on this topic but at least he looked into it before making blanket statements about Shanny's abilities or lack thereof as a judge of talent.

On Field:

You guys have covered a lot of things I would do too if I were king of Redskin land. I’ll list them anyway. Desperate times sometimes call for desperate measures so…..

I would devote the entire draft this coming April to trying to inject some young talent to the offensive side of the ball. Why offense first? Well, even though our defense is terrible our offense might be worse. We can’t fix all of the problems in one year and if given the choice I think our defense is closer to being serviceable than our offense. That is as long as we…..

Change back to the 4-3. The idea of a 3-4 is seductive but it takes a level of commitment in money and/or draft picks that we simply can’t make. This was not a well thought out move. The timing could not have been worse to try to make this change.

I want the QB of the future to be selected in next year’s draft if at all possible. Problem is I’d rather not have to trade up to do it so that might be a problem. Here are the teams that will probably draft ahead of us in no order.

- Carolina – Drafted a QB last season.
- Detroit – Doesn’t need a QB.
- Cincinnati – Doesn’t need a QB.
- Denver – Who knows what a new coach might think of Orton? They have Tebow though so I say no.
- Buffalo – Will they keep Fitzpatrick? He’s definitely not the biggest issue there. I say no.
- Arizona – Desperately needs a QB.
- Us

I see Minnesota, Dallas probably San Fran passing us in the win column.

I don’t want to get into heavy draft talk here but we need a QB badly and we should draft one, probably in the first round. The trick here would be to try to move back a few slots and still get our guy. The top guy will go to AZ no doubt about it. We need to position ourselves to get the next best guy and maximize the value of this selection. If Allen could pull off moving down a few slots, picking up an additional pick and still getting our guy he would get a lot of brownie points in my book. Failing that we should at least be able to get the second best guy. I don’t want us to try to get cute and wait till the second round unless we’re damn sure we can get our guy.

The rest of the draft should be devoted to drafting a couple of offensive lineman, a WR and maybe some RB depth. I know with the late round picks we have finding starters will be a challenge but late round RB finds are not all that uncommon. Converting a mid level OT to a G is not uncommon either. Think outside the box.

Well, because of the setup I gave in the original post I had some ideas ready to go before I posed the question.

Game Experience:
  1. I would hire someone who understands how to efficiently move traffic in and out of the stadium parking lots. It shouldn’t take 2 hours to get out of the lot after a game (not that it’s been a problem lately with folks leaving at half-time). Hire a few extra people and give them the orange flashlights. This is not that complicated. They have a NASCAR event here in town twice a year and they move an honest 100,000+ plus fans in and out very efficiently. Last time I went to a race it took me maybe 30 minutes to get to the interstate from the parking lot. Why does this top the list? Because it would be one of the easiest to fix.

2. I would take one of the end zones seating areas and reduce the ticket prices to the same price as the cheap seats. Turn it into the “Pig Pen”. Encourage people to make signs and to be rowdy (within reason of course). What real fan wouldn’t want to sit there? If the idea catches on do the other end zone as well.

3. Stop the block sales of tickets to the big vendors. I know it’s a lot of easy money to be made moving tickets like this but it kills me to go to games and see large sections of (insert hated team here) fans in our house. Yes, if the team were better some of this would stop, and yes, if the stadium was smaller some of this would stop, but this seems to be the most obvious solution. Give the tickets away to local area high schools or discount them to the local colleges. It would help build the young fan base too. Don’t sell out to the opposition for a quick buck.

4. Have a couple of simple combo pack value options for meals. A “Burger Pack”, “BBQ Pack” and “Hotdog Pack” all with a small fry and small drink for say….$10. This serves two purposes: Lines will move faster because a steady stream of these combos could be at the ready and the folks searching for value at the stadium can be satisfied. Beer folks, like me, would be on our own. We can’t expect beer bargains at the game. A cheap food option though, you’d be able to make your money back in volume.

I love those ideas, but they are intelligent and well thought out, so we would never do it, also Danny as much as I have defended him in the past, is all about the money, so even though the idea of building a young fan base by getting young people involved is BRILLIANT. I cant see us ever doing that.

in my hometown in Edmonton, the Eskimos give away tickets to highschools all the time, and kids wearing their team jerseys get halfprice tickets every game. im just saying that even though the esks have been bad for 3 seasons, they still sell out every game because people LOVE the team.

The logical thing.

Finish the season, then assess.

I would start playing as many backups as possible, to see what they can do against starting competition.

What would i do about it? NOTHING. The last thing this team needs is for them to buy into what's going on there, then change it... AGAIN. Right now the team has something to believe in. A proven head coach, a proven DC. A proven system. They want to perfect it, and they're invested at this point.

If you go changing, it'll again trump everything and remove any kind of leadership from this coaching staff. Keep the systems in place. They're not gonna be perfected over night. I would start playing some of the younger guys, getting them more up to speed with the system and see what we really have. O-line is struggling, give younger guys the shots. The scary thing about the Tenn game is when we had all those injuries on the O-line, we actually got BIGGER as far as size.

Offensively - Give James Davis the ball more, as well as Keiland Williams. Nobody is going to know EVERYTHING after 10 weeks. It's a complicated system and they're gonna need more experience.

Defensively - KEEP IT. Again, get the younger guys in there. Our secondary is not looking too hott right now and we need to address that. Personally i dont think Rogers is gonna be here next year after his running of the mouth saying he doesnt wanna put poor performances on tape. I was a Rogers fan until he started runnin his mouth like that but what can ya do? These guys need reps in this system. They're learning it, changing it now is just gonna mess them all up again.

ok keep it, now I need for you to explain to us why.

what guys need reps in this system? out of our current starting front 7 who will be back in a starting capacity next year? if this was a roster filled with young guys who were just learning, I would totally agree, but we are an old team with very few guys currently starting in our front seven who will be back as starters, so wasting time teaching them this system when they wont even be around anymore just wastes their time and ours.

changing it now to suit their strengths would be a short term and a long term fix but I am curious, what makes you think that running this system more is going to help? I am genuinely curious.

I might well consider if Haslett is the guy for the job. I'd also start a MAJOR youth movement and focus about 75% of my resources on buidling the trenches. Release a number of the older vets and take my lumps getting younger for a few years.

And I'd find the QB of the future in the next 2 drafts

I hear an echo!!!!!

yuppers!

Mike Lombardi's piece on 12/11 on NFL.com addressed very well the issues facing the Redskins and some of the suggestions we have been making here for the past 10 months.

Some of these decisions are self-evident: better scouting and investment in the front office; trading or releasing veterans that don't fit into the long-term picture, etc.

In the end Shanahan is the de facto GM and responsible for all football operations.

So the buck stops with him.

Mike Lombardi's piece on 12/11 on NFL.com addressed very well the issues facing the Redskins and some of the suggestions we have been making here for the past 10 months.

Some of these decisions are self-evident: better scouting and investment in the front office; trading or releasing veterans that don't fit into the long-term picture, etc.

In the end Shanahan is the de facto GM and responsible for all football operations.

So the buck stops with him.

good article. what're the odds Shanahan does as recommended?

I'll give it another season...but how long do we wait before calling Shanahan an F up?

take heart BT.....The Pats...who many on this board have argued we should not emulate....have the Panthers' second round pick and the Raiders' first rounder next season!

But we'll still have Mike's ego!

My boss can be a real tool-bag at times, but he's no fool. If you take some kind of problem to him (usually thinly veiled bitching) he will give you his full attention. When you finish your explanation he always asks a variation of a very simple question “So what are you going to do about it?” When he asks this he expects you to have an answer. We've all learned to have your stuff together before even go to him. It saves everyone time and effort.

We all know this team has issues. The product on the field is sub-par. The game experience is sub-par as well. So if you were in charge, what would you do about it?

If I were to suddenly find myself the owner of the Redskins starting today what would I do?

The first thing, the very first thing I would do as owner is to tell the fans, the media and everyone that the team has many problem areas that need to be fixed and that I, as owner, accept responsibility and will allow myself to be held accountable for what happens in terms of what the plan is, who and why personnel hired to implement that plan are hired in the first place and let them know that I recognize that the problems are not quick-fix type problems but that I will, in terms of making the Redskins a winning football team try to find the best people available to implement it.

Second, I would tell the fans and media alike that the Redskins are implementing a long-term strategy of making a team with too many aging players younger, that the concept of band-aid fixes with high-priced FAs is no longer operative, that the scouting department will be monitored for performance in advising on draft picks but that I as owner will delegate those responsibilities, again, to the most highly skilled people in the area I can find. Bruce Allen as GM will stay and he and Shanahan will have those responsibilities.

In short-I would try to quell the uncertainty and confusion that the fans feel by letting them know that 1.) A plan is in place, and, 2.) neither they or the media will be kept in the dark when it comes to the direction the team is going.

I would communicate, in other words.

For the time being, I would keep most, if not all, of the coaching staff due to the lateness in the season and the disruptive effect sudden changes might make. During the off-season a complete analysis would be done to determine the best way this strategy could be implemented. This would be a joint effort involving the entire FO and coaching staff. I, as owner, would not be personally involved except to observe and make sure the basic concept, that of having a strategy and adhering to it, is followed.

The suggestions already listed for enhancing the on-field experience are very good and I would implement some type of fan-feedback system for suggestions and complaints that would allow fan input to be part of the equation and there would be communication with the fans letting them know that their voices are being heard and taken seriously

I haven't yet formulated too many more detailed particulars but I think the most important thing is that there needs to be a sense of "coherence"-that there is some type of organized thinking taking place and not a willy-nilly "OMG, what are we gonna do now?" which I perceive as the biggest problem with the Redskins franchise.

Anyone wanna donate to a fund to help Serv buy the team?
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.