Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
    BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Air Force

Default Hold the brownies! Bill could limit bake sales

This is the kinda stuff people talk about when they sasy government has gotten too big

I mean really, serving dinner to kids at school? Regulating bake sales?

http://my.earthlink.net/article/pol?...a-14fa9c33a6f6

A child nutrition bill on its way to President Barack Obama — and championed by the first lady — gives the government power to limit school bake sales and other fundraisers that health advocates say sometimes replace wholesome meals in the lunchroom.

Republicans, notably Sarah Palin, and public school organizations decry the bill as an unnecessary intrusion on a common practice often used to raise money.

"This could be a real train wreck for school districts," Lucy Gettman of the National School Boards Association said Friday, a day after the House cleared the bill. "The federal government should not be in the business of regulating this kind of activity at the local level."

The legislation, part of first lady Michelle Obama's campaign to stem childhood obesity, provides more meals at school for needy kids, including dinner, and directs the Agriculture Department to write guidelines to make those meals healthier. The legislation would apply to all foods sold in schools during regular class hours, including in the cafeteria line, vending machines and at fundraisers.
    0 0 0 0

Formerly known as ...............Sarge

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

This is something I actually feel fairly passionately about. I would be all right with the government stepping in and regulating school lunches considering the incredibly unhealthy pig crap the schools feed the kids now. However, until the FDA is actually able to give honest, unbiased by lobbying efforts assessments about food, their opinion is worthless, which necessarily makes their regulatory efforts worthless.

I agree with you Sarge, just not for the same reasons.
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Guess I broke the law. My son is in the culinary program at school. His class recently sold pies and cookies to raise money. The money will be used to help fund competitions they will enter.

Doesn't Congress and the Administration have more important things to worry about then "bake sales"? The way they are going my kids will be in the needy category as well.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

That's pretty silly.

It really would be nice to find the balance between this and when Reagan decided ketchup packets counted as a vegetable in school lunches.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    That's pretty silly.

It really would be nice to find the balance between this and when Reagan decided ketchup packets counted as a vegetable in school lunches.
    Balance? Henry American politics follows the Law of the Excluded Middle. One side has to all "right" the other has to be all "wrong"-compromise is equivalent to selling the country down the river.

This has deteriorated through the years. Granted I personally think the regs on cake sales is silly and obtrusive-but both liberals and conservatives are all about dictating how individuals conduct their affairs just from different directions.
    0 0 0 0

I'm giving it a 2-4 year window. Looking for improvement in all areas. Redskins, you're on the clock.