A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
Game 12 - Philly. No biggie. Just a season in the balance ...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Virginia

Default Virginian Pilot Online: Portis wants to be part of Redskins' 2011 plans

Clinton Portis will turn 30 next year. The Washington Redskins running back was close to quitting two years ago, having lost his "lust" for the game.

Since then, he has had two straight seasons cut short by injuries.

But Portis wants to keep going. He practically lobbied the Redskins on Thursday - two days after his most recent surgery - to keep him in their plans for 2011...

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/12/port...ins-2011-plans
    0 0 0 0

The simplicity in me is complicated.
    I live in my own little world, but that's ok. They know me here.
    Redskins Fan - Emeritus

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Portis worked hard in the offseason and has said and done all the right things. If he will renegotiate his contract, I actually think he could still be on the Redskins roster next year.
    0 0 0 0

2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

I've already said it in a few threads. I hope he can make it back. I'll let the front office worry about his contract. I just hope he can come back and play well.
    0 0 0 0

"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen"

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ax View Post
    I've already said it in a few threads. I hope he can make it back. I'll let the front office worry about his contract. I just hope he can come back and play well.
    I agree. CP has some rough edges...but at the end of the day I buy into the notion that he has given everything he has to this team.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Marine Corps Virginia

I'll keep saying it. We know he'll play well. The question is will he play? He hasn't been able to stay on the field 3 times in 5 seasons. Of course that doesn't mean we're playing down a man during those stretches. But it does mean we're plugging someone in who isn't particularly used to playing. We've been lucky in the past that those filling his vacant spot (Betts, Torain) have shone. But what we don't think about is what about their backups, the guys who truly are likely shaky if asked to play significant time.

Sorry to disagree, but I just think at some point, when a key skill position player can't stay healthy, it becomes more of a hindrance to keep him on than to cut your losses.

I'll also point out that many of us beat the drum incessantly about the Redskins disdain for beginning any kind of a youth movement, and that we are one of the oldest rosters in the NFL. Well, you want to get younger? Then you've got to start shedding some older, non-productive players, like them or not. Portis has not been productive. I think it's time to move on.
    Last edited by Neophyte; 12-06-10 at 12:21 AM. Reason: fix tagging for italics
    0 0 0 0

Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

You ain't bonafide

BGObsessed
    I live in the warmest city in the coldest province
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    UTEP

we cant replace everyone in one year so unless we find a young bellcow back i say keep him around in a comittee position. hes earned that.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    I'll keep saying it. We know he'll play well. The question is will he play? He hasn't been able to stay on the field 3 times in 5 seasons. Of course that doesn't mean we're playing down a man during those stretches. But it does mean we're plugging someone in who isn't particularly used to playing. We've been lucky in the past that those filling his vacant spot (Betts, Torain) have shone. But what we don't think about is what about [i]their[/b] backups, the guys who truly are likely shaky if asked to play significant time.

Sorry to disagree, but I just think at some point, when a key skill position player can't stay healthy, it becomes more of a hindrance to keep him on than to cut your losses.

I'll also point out that many of us beat the drum incessantly about the Redskins disdain for beginning any kind of a youth movement, and that we are one of the oldest rosters in the NFL. Well, you want to get younger? Then you've got to start shedding some older, non-productive players, like them or not. Portis has not been productive. I think it's time to move on.
    excellent point on youth!
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Kent State

If CP comes back in a reserved role I'm all for it. The wear and tear from the beatings he's taken over the years especially with this O-line have just diminished his season longevity. He needs to be around 10-15 touches a games and still blocks like a waterbuffalo, something the up and comers need to see and learn from. We could move on from CP but what do we do? Draft a RB? Acquire one from FA? We don't have the luxury for using a draft pick on a RB, the line needs fixed first. Is it possible we can pick up a young RB in FA whose shown flashes of talent in a reserved role? Absolutely but again it's hit or miss. I wouldn't mind going into next season with a healthy Torain, CP and another while the line gets the foremost attention in the offseason.
    0 0 0 0

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" Aesop