• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Virginian Pilot Online: Portis wants to be part of Redskins' 2011 plans

Burgundy Burner

The Commissioner
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Virginia
Clinton Portis will turn 30 next year. The Washington Redskins running back was close to quitting two years ago, having lost his "lust" for the game.

Since then, he has had two straight seasons cut short by injuries.

But Portis wants to keep going. He practically lobbied the Redskins on Thursday - two days after his most recent surgery - to keep him in their plans for 2011...

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/12/portis-wants-be-part-redskins-2011-plans

Portis worked hard in the offseason and has said and done all the right things. If he will renegotiate his contract, I actually think he could still be on the Redskins roster next year.

I've already said it in a few threads. I hope he can make it back. I'll let the front office worry about his contract. I just hope he can come back and play well.

I've already said it in a few threads. I hope he can make it back. I'll let the front office worry about his contract. I just hope he can come back and play well.

I agree. CP has some rough edges...but at the end of the day I buy into the notion that he has given everything he has to this team.

I'll keep saying it. We know he'll play well. The question is will he play? He hasn't been able to stay on the field 3 times in 5 seasons. Of course that doesn't mean we're playing down a man during those stretches. But it does mean we're plugging someone in who isn't particularly used to playing. We've been lucky in the past that those filling his vacant spot (Betts, Torain) have shone. But what we don't think about is what about their backups, the guys who truly are likely shaky if asked to play significant time.

Sorry to disagree, but I just think at some point, when a key skill position player can't stay healthy, it becomes more of a hindrance to keep him on than to cut your losses.

I'll also point out that many of us beat the drum incessantly about the Redskins disdain for beginning any kind of a youth movement, and that we are one of the oldest rosters in the NFL. Well, you want to get younger? Then you've got to start shedding some older, non-productive players, like them or not. Portis has not been productive. I think it's time to move on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll keep saying it. We know he'll play well. The question is will he play? He hasn't been able to stay on the field 3 times in 5 seasons. Of course that doesn't mean we're playing down a man during those stretches. But it does mean we're plugging someone in who isn't particularly used to playing. We've been lucky in the past that those filling his vacant spot (Betts, Torain) have shone. But what we don't think about is what about their[/b] backups, the guys who truly are likely shaky if asked to play significant time.

Sorry to disagree, but I just think at some point, when a key skill position player can't stay healthy, it becomes more of a hindrance to keep him on than to cut your losses.

I'll also point out that many of us beat the drum incessantly about the Redskins disdain for beginning any kind of a youth movement, and that we are one of the oldest rosters in the NFL. Well, you want to get younger? Then you've got to start shedding some older, non-productive players, like them or not. Portis has not been productive. I think it's time to move on.

excellent point on youth!

If CP comes back in a reserved role I'm all for it. The wear and tear from the beatings he's taken over the years especially with this O-line have just diminished his season longevity. He needs to be around 10-15 touches a games and still blocks like a waterbuffalo, something the up and comers need to see and learn from. We could move on from CP but what do we do? Draft a RB? Acquire one from FA? We don't have the luxury for using a draft pick on a RB, the line needs fixed first. Is it possible we can pick up a young RB in FA whose shown flashes of talent in a reserved role? Absolutely but again it's hit or miss. I wouldn't mind going into next season with a healthy Torain, CP and another while the line gets the foremost attention in the offseason.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.