• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Russ Grimm could coach Panthers in 2011

Sarge

Hope Russ finally gets his chance

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/03/russ-grimm-could-coach-panthers-in-2011/

The Carolina Panthers are 1-10 and head coach John Fox’s contract expires after this season, so it’s not too early to start talking about who might coach the Panthers in 2011.

And Adam Schefter of ESPN reports, citing two NFL sources, that talk is already centering on Cardinals assistant head coach Russ Grimm as a strong candidate to replace Fox.

Grimm, the former Redskins offensive lineman who was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame this year, would make sense as a choice for Panthers owner Jerry Richardson because Richardson wants his franchise to emulate the Steelers, where Grimm was an assistant coach for seven seasons.

As Schefter points out, Grimm could be attractive to Richardson for another reason: He’d likely take the job for a lot less money than a proven head coach like Bill Cowher.

I hope Russ gets his chance. I juts have the feeling Cowher is coming back to coach the Panthers.

I'll tell you what, if Grimm gets the job I will be a Panthers fan.

I think Carolina is in an unfortunate position. I really liken it to the Jaguar's situation when they'd had a period of pretty sustained success with Tom Coughlin. Most of the pundits felt that Coughlin could not get it done, was washed up, and that his time had come.

Of course, Tom Coughlin proved otherwise in a different NFL town.

I think that John Fox is a hell of a coach. The Panthers have made some major blunders, the most obvious of which was, in a state of giddy appreciation, they gave Jake Delhomme a long-term deal for a lot of money, when he was clearly on the rapid downslope of his NFL career.

I also believe that coaching stints with a given team have a birth, life, and death cycle all their own. Even great coaches reach a point with a certain team where they use the same approaches, strategies, and methods that may have been incredibly successful in the past, but simply cease working. It may be the ebb and tide of player talent, it may be that the relationships with front offices decline, it may simply be that the same old situation wears thin or gets old.

The only point I am trying to make is that, sometimes a lack of success just means a change is needed, and often is little reflection on a given coach's abilities. I believe if you plugged John Fox into some other struggling NFL franchise, he'd have them winning again in 2 or 3 seasons.

As for Russ Grimm? Great Redskin. No doubt a good coach. But whether or not he'd be successful as 'the guy' - impossible to know. I'd love to see him get a chance though :)

Boone, just curious, why do you think John Fox is a great coach? Seems to me he gets a lot of credit for taking them to the SB, but he really hasn't done much since then. I fact, if memory serves, I think the Panthers are picked reasonably often to make the playoffs, and yet the consistently underperform in that regard. I hear a lot of the national media say he is a great coach, but I just don't see it. I understand being hamstrung by a lousy personnel department (thank you, Vinny), but after so many years of sucking, wonder why he is considered a great coach still.

Having said all that, you live in the area and have a lot more insight into his abilities than do I. Thoughts?

As for Grimm, i would love to see him get his chance to coach. It would make me root for the Panthers a little more, that's for sure. He seems like an outstanding line coach, is he an offensive coordinator with the Cards now, or just a line coach? Anyone know? Has he coached at the coordinator level?
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.