• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Winter weather thread, 2010-11

Burgundy Burner

The Commissioner
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Virginia
Ok, first things first. I hate it when somone puts "Official" in any thread title unless it is truly official. Just saying. :)

Now, let's talk about the first real shot at snow for the east coast in this new Winter season.

Around December 10th to 12th, there could be a snowstorm setting up for the east coast. This is a tad early for winter weather, but a strong La Nina season usually gives you wild weather swings. I'll keep looking at the models and update this thread when warranted. Other weather gurus are encouraged to do the same.

As for the winter season itself, look for some different weather patterns for 2010-11. December could bring colder than normal temps and the chance for at least one snowfall (as mentioned in the previous paragraph) on the east coast. January could see a significant thaw and some daily temps could be consiberably warmer by winter standards. Cold weather returns at the end of the month and the chance for a couple of ice storms in late January and early February. February could bring a couple of decent snowfalls as well. March could bring a surprise snowfall in the early part of the month or another ice storm. By the end of March, Spring will begin to assert itself.

Weather gurus, feel free to jump in and add to the discussion. Also, for those who wish to talk about their local forecasts, please do so.

As one weather guru puts it. "Enjoy your weather, because it is the only weather you've got". :)

I keep Eastern at arm's length, but will go there on occasion. The stuff with Marcus and other things were over the top. Maybe it will improve now.

I have so many model sites booked and other weather places. So it is more than just a hobby for me.

Last year was incredible. We had a total that was just over seven feet of the white stuff here. It won't be like that this year, but it could be fun with some ice storms and other things that could happen this season.

Stuff with Marcus? I certainly don't follow the forums enough to know anything about any drama over there. I basically just check in now and then during or prior to major events. Wes (usedtobe) among others is one of the ones I try to pay attention to, he's writing for Capital Weather Gang now too.

Last year was certainly the craziest thing, even down here on the eastern shore. Unfortunately, I was sick as a dog for about half of it with the flu. Shoveling with the flu sucks.

I'll happily take 8-12" this season. That would surpass our yearly totals for quite a few of the last decade's winters.

Oh good. A thread I can trash talk in.

Here's my local forecast for the next 10-20 years (at least)

crappyweather.jpg

:)

It may not be 'official', but enjoy threads like this. I follow the weather very closely, but not very good at predicting.

BB keep us posted. I am especially intererested in the forecast for Hampton Roads area of Virginia.

I also vote for Alaskan as best response of the year.

crappyweather.jpg

after growing up in Paddle Prairie I can honestly say YOUR weather would be an improvement. I can remember being told " don't be such a baby, its only 35 below, just because there is no school bus doesnt mean you cant ride your skidoo to school." lol

in the summer it can get crazy hot, with clouds of bulldog flies, mosquitos and noseeums, when we used to get american hunters they would almost always wear full body suits lol. and in the winter, the coldest temp I can remember was early eighties it got to -75 with windchill.

BB...need an update. Local forecaster this morning said chance of snow Saturday night. He wouldn't say if flurries, showers, dusting, or accumulation.
Only thing did say was central Virginia could get 2-3 inches.

What does your models show for Hampton Roads?

Hampton Roads should have a mix and nothing more. Ground temps are too warm to expect any accumulation.

On to the snowstorm potential. Looking like 12th-13th for some action. More as we get closer to that time frame.

Ok BB, what is up with Thursday, Dec. 16th? Also heard today this weekend is suppose to be snow storm for Hampton Roads. Not sure any validity or just people getting overly excited.

crappyweather.jpg

after growing up in Paddle Prairie I can honestly say YOUR weather would be an improvement. I can remember being told " don't be such a baby, its only 35 below, just because there is no school bus doesnt mean you cant ride your skidoo to school." lol

in the summer it can get crazy hot, with clouds of bulldog flies, mosquitos and noseeums, when we used to get american hunters they would almost always wear full body suits lol. and in the winter, the coldest temp I can remember was early eighties it got to -75 with windchill.

Galena Alaska 88-89. -88. No wind. End of thread:)

Well, it was a painful 16 degrees in lovely Cumberland, MD this morning, with wind chills flirting with 0. Someone please stop this ride. I'd like to get off now. :)

But Sarge, this cold weather is a result of Global Warming. Didn't you know that?

Bring on the snow! Last year it came just in time for a nice little Christmas bonus! (Snow Removal)

Sarge didn't you know the cold is due to global warming? Seriously...heard someone say that due to global warming we will experience colder winters.

Sarge didn't you know the cold is due to global warming? Seriously...heard someone say that due to global warming we will experience colder winters.

Because the ice in the polar regions is melting! :book:

Ok BB, what is up with Thursday, Dec. 16th? Also heard today this weekend is suppose to be snow storm for Hampton Roads. Not sure any validity or just people getting overly excited.

You should get about three inches of the white stuff from this southern slider. Here is an animated graphic of what to expect...

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/WRFRAD_18z/jloop.html

Sunday could get very interesting. Could be looking at a MECS.

Looks like we will have about an inch of the white stuff - just starting here and should be over by early evening.

On to Sunday - we could be looking at 15 to 20 here in Southern NJ. This is going to be a big storm. Long Island to New England is in the sweet spot - could get 2 ft. plus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.