• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Was it a Block in the Back?

The thing that stings most for me is knowing there was an even more blatant block in the back last week on Tennessee's TD return that was NOT called. The inconsistency of the refs this year is so frustrating.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

At the game the theme that stands out for me was the dropped passes. The block/non block in the back took the wind out of our sails so from then on it was a deflated Redskins team, but something needs to be done with Santana Moss. The ball hits him in the hands, goes through his hands, hits him in the helmet, bounces up and is intercepted. Are you kidding me?

As for this unknown RB the Vikings have, he was the 2nd runner up in the Heisamn Trophy last year in the closest margin between first and second in the history of the Heisman. Not sure why you referred to him as an unknown, but he is a beast. I watched him at Stanford last year, this kid is something special. I still can't believe he fell well into the second round.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toby_Gerhart

Lol, I was thinking the same thing El.

As for this unknown RB the Vikings have, he was the 2nd runner up in the Heisamn Trophy last year in the closest margin between first and second in the history of the Heisman. Not sure why you referred to him as an unknown, but he is a beast. I watched him at Stanford last year, this kid is something special.
I don't watch college football, so, to me, he was unknown.

Apparently, Haslett didn't know anything about him either, cause his defense got punked by him. If he does it to other teams too, then fine. But if we're the only saps he has his way with, then...

I would hardly say the defense got punked by Gerhart, Ax. They gave up 3.4 ypc to the kid. That isn't too bad and in today's NFL a lot of offensive coordinators would have abandoned the run with only that kind of production. It just so happens we ran into an offense with a new Head Coach who had mandated running it first and sticking with the run regardless.

By comparison, how many times have I heard guys on this very site complain about Portis or Betts averaging only 3.6 ypc?

I would hardly say the defense got punked by Gerhart, Ax. They gave up 3.4 ypc to the kid. That isn't too bad and in today's NFL a lot of offensive coordinators would have abandoned the run with only that kind of production. It just so happens we ran into an offense with a new Head Coach who had mandated running it first and sticking with the run regardless.

By comparison, how many times have I heard guys on this very site complain about Portis or Betts averaging only 3.6 ypc?
When we needed to stop him, and most people knew they were going to run, we could not stop him. He ran over, through, or around our front seven.

As I said in my previous post, if he does it to someone else, it won't seem so bad. Until then, he looked like the star varsity player toying with the JV squad.

i.e. punked.

When we needed to stop him, and most people knew they were going to run, we could not stop him. He ran over, through, or around our front seven.

As I said in my previous post, if he does it to someone else, it won't seem so bad. Until then, he looked like the star varsity player toying with the JV squad.

i.e. punked.

Well, since he backs up possibly the best RB in the league who has had a good season rushing the football, someone who doesn't watch college football may not know who he is. Perception is reality in this case, I guess. But the reality is this kid is not a nobody. Given the right circumstances, he could likely be another Peyton Hillis.

None of that really matters though. What matters is this team of ours continues to make stupid mistakes. Dropped passes by Moss, who let one of them hit him in the head allowing the ball to be intercepted deep in our own territory, and Chris Cooley who has dropped more passes this season than his entire career. A young Special Teams players that ruins a go ahead TD on a return. And a QB who continues to get happy feet when pressured putting the ball in the turf or not taking the time, when given, to allow the Receivers to run their routes before dumping it off to the RB.

This has been one of the more frustrating seasons to watch because I think this team could have made a run for the playoffs. I mean, we could have been only a game out of first yesterday.

The only legitimate shot we have at the playoffs is winning 5 straight. That isn't gonna happen, what with the Giants x2, Tampa, the Cowboys in Dallas and Jacksonville on the schedule. We'll be lucky to finish 8-8 at this point.

I wrote the playoffs off after the loss to Detroit.

I wrote the playoffs off after the loss to Detroit.

Yes Lanky, we are not going this year. My point was we could have been in the playoffs this year. The fact is we could have contended for the playoffs had the coaches decided to play to the talent on the squad instead of forcing square peg in round hole and that was a huge surprise to me.

Neo, that's about when I wrote them off as well, but yesterday's loss was the nail in the coffin for me, the end of that last glimmer of hope.

Their prospects for running the table are no better, or worse, than the last time they did it. So, I'll continue to hope, as long as there is a mathematical chance.

Of course, every time I hear "hope", or "wish", I can hear my dear old Daddy say,

"Hope in one hand, and **** in the other. See which one fills up first."

Like El, this has been one of the more frustrating seasons I can remember, so far. Having the playoff road at your feet, yet continually running off the road into a ditch because you refuse to turn the damn wheel a little bit.

I look at it this way. The team is 5-6 right now. With wins over Houston, Detroit and Minnesota it would be 8-3 (I don't count St Louis as that one was over before the end). Even if we were 8-3 at this point, we are still facing the real meat of the schedule and as the chances of going 0 for 5 are perhaps even better than getting 3 more wins (I think it will take 11 wins to get into the post season this year, just looking at the rest of the NFC).

So while not mathematically eliminated at this point, I don't see much in the way a fighting chance at it. It is frankly a long shot even if they win the last 5 games.

It is frankly a long shot even if they win the last 5 games.
The long shot then would be Philly.

We win 5 and NY is out. Philly losing 3 is possible, but not as likely.

But for now, all things are possible. And at least one team in the NFL, thought to be improbable today, will make it in.

Why not us?

I just don't see it happening this year. Last time the team was unified to win for Sean Taylor. The last two times we had a push or streak like this Joe Gibbs was piloting the ship.

Not saying Shanahan couldn't do the same. We just have too many injuries and can't see our OL holding up twice against the Giants.

I have to be honest. Prior to the season and through the first eleven games I have not pictured the Redskins as a playoff contender this season. Too many changes, too many problems to be addressed, too many questions with answers that would only gradually come as the season progressed. That is why I estimated an 8-8 plus-or-minus one game season record. It seemed reasonable and realistic.

We're now at 5-6 with five games-all against teams with winning records, except Dallas, so far. In order to meet what I saw as the most likely outcome we would need to win at least two more games. I still see this as doable because of the very inconsistency we've all been complaining about. After the Philly blowout not many looked at the Titans as a winnable game but we won. Most of the teams in the NFL this season have either won or lost at least one or two "Huh?!?" games including us.

Who might be the, for lack of a better word, "unlucky ones?" Well, Tampa Bay looks vulnerable, so does Jacksonville. I'm not ruling out the Giants as a possible win either.

I'm already starting to check out draft prospects for the 2011 draft not because I have "given up on the season" but because the season hasn't turned out much different than I had expected and I'm hoping for continued improvement next season.

It may not sound what may be considered acceptably "optimistic" to take this view but it sure has saved me from dealing with the pain of a lot of dashed hopes.

Serv, I am basing my assertion on a retrospective point of view. Don't you think we could have won at least 2 more games had we stayed with the 4-3 until we had acquired players that were suited for the 3-4? That is why I think we "could" have made a playoff run.

Now, since we are likely to pick somewhere between 10-20 in the upcoming draft, who may have caught you eye?

Serv, I am basing my assertion on a retrospective point of view. Don't you think we could have won at least 2 more games had we stayed with the 4-3 until we had acquired players that were suited for the 3-4? That is why I think we "could" have made a playoff run.

Now, since we are likely to pick somewhere between 10-20 in the upcoming draft, who may have caught you eye?

This.

I admit that at times I can be a rather doom and gloom sort but thats because I used to be such a pollyanna, heck before the 3-4 debacle I thought that with a better Oline than last year and a non stoner OC we would have a better offence and with a better offence we would win games that last year we lost, I also assumed we would run a sound defence based on our talent and just ramp up the aggression and play to the strength of the defence which was our Dline and maybe even use AH properly. wow was I wrong.

One complicating factor in these questions is the upgrade in the quality level of opposing teams we're facing this season as opposed to last season. We've played the top two teams in the NFC North-and won both of those games-and have already played 5 teams with winning records and are 3-2 against them. Last season we wound up playing 7 teams that ended the season with winning records and lost all 7 of those games. This seems like improvement but there are complications in arriving at this conclusion as well. The changes to the team overall are undoubtedly having an effect but for, I think, an unexpected reason.

Last season we were extremely predictable on both offense and defense and thus not that difficult to scheme against. The difficulties in assimilating new systems both on offense and defense this season has resulted in a confusing and sometimes seemingly chaotic style of play that until recently confused opposing OCs and DCs early on as well as we fans and that, I think, has both masked and made the determination of where the problems lie more difficult.

Last season we were losing to "bottom-feeders" as well as "good" teams and this season, with the possible exception of Detroit we haven't even played a "bottom-feeder". Trying to estimate whether or not staying with the 4-3 and just adding a little aggressiveness would've been a better idea is made more difficult by the differences in the teams we're playing this season versus the teams we played last season.

Level of competition matters and I think the only valid way to determine it would have been if we had the same level of competition as last season.

In other words I can't say for sure.

As far as the 2011 draft goes-I've just started looking but I'm specifically looking for RBs, Oline and a possible McNabb protege.

As far as the 2011 draft goes-I've just started looking but I'm specifically looking for RBs, Oline and a possible McNabb protege.

Are you a Politician? :)

As for the above quote, I have seen some speculation about Julio Jones from Alabama in the first round.

I have been looking at interior offensive lineman. I think the kid out of Penn State, Wisniewski (It helps that his father is a former NFL player) is an option, perhaps Pouncey from Florida since he can play C or OG. As for RB, I have not been looking. I believe DT if we stick with the 3-4 and interior offensive line should be priorities.

Well, for every time someone says 'if only we had beaten Detroit, St. Louis or Minnesota' you can also play devil's advocate and admit 'who expected Washington heading into the season to end up with wins over Green Bay and Philly (in Philly)?' :)

Those looked like two almost sure losses. And before the Dallas opener I had the feeling the Redskins were going to lose a close game there.

There is a chance that the Redskins could have started out the season 0-4 or 0-5.

So, 5-6 is probably a fair place for them to be now.

Especially considering the talent level.

When I watch other teams play around the NFL, I see younger, faster rosters with quarterbacks who hit receivers in stride once in awhile, and runners who break around the corner...........defensive linemen and linebackers that are in on the qb almost every down with pressure........and guys in the secondary that cover.

How often do we see that here?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.