• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

IF COACHING ISNT THE BIGGEST ISSUE PLEASE EXPLAIN THE BEARS

Rymanofthenorth

BGObsessed
Reaction score
I live in the warmest city in the coldest provinc
Alma Mater
UTEP
I posted a few weeks back on another forum that coaching was one of our biggest issues holding us back, position coaching, schemeing etc etc. now im watching the bears play the fecals and im disgusted.

if its the Oline, as many have said, then why and how are the bears looking so decent on offence when its univerally agreed that their Oline is worse than ours talentwise across the board? ffs they a guy off our practice roster playing RG (ed williams).

If coaching isnt having a huge deal to do with this difference I dont know what else to say, you dont see the bears dismantling their defence even though last year it was only decent and the year before it was barely decent, they added some players and reloaded and now have a good unit.

they got a YOUNG gunslinger to build around, and while he is an asshat unlike our guy he has loads of upside.
]
who though after we played them that we would be saying they are a in a better spot than we are?

I doubt you can find one Bears fan that thinks Lovie Smith is a quality coach. (Except in this first quarter.)

There are a lot of bad o-lines in the NFL. Our real deficiency is in the skill positions.

I believe the Skins beat the Bears coaching staff and all. All joking aside the Skins are already thin at talent...injuries just magnified that problem. The Skins need to cut some dead weight(Moss, A.H. Portis, Buchanan, Rogers, Daniels) during the offseason thats for sure. Coaching? They are still on the honeymoon.
The defense showed some promise awhile back but really haven't shown a whole lot of nothing the last bunch of games. On the bright side our draft position and scheduling slot are looking better every game.

Goodness, the Bears look good today. Their D has really frustrated Vick today, even threw an INT. Teams have an ebb and flow as the season goes on, I wonder if the Eagles hit their high point too early?

The Bears have an actual NFL calibre running back that opposing defenses have to respect, line or not. We possess no such threat.

And yes, I think the Eagles peaked too early. Unfortunately they peaked right on top of us. :)

Actually I forgot to add Rabach to my dead weight list . It s not just a matter of how old they are in so much as some are at the end of the contract period or at least close enough.
I'm not suggesting some on my list haven't been decent players ....I'm just not sentimentally attached and hope the F.O. feels the same. Moss is way too inconsistent, Portis? I give him his due but he should retire. AH isn't dead weight? I think he is. Buchanan catches what 2 ints this year. He doesn't look like hes even trying. Rogers is a bust! He's often injured and can't catch a cold. We can agree to disagree I could be mistaken. It wouldn't be the first time LOL. I'm just looking at a 53 or so man roster to inject some youth someones got to go.

I believe the Skins beat the Bears coaching staff and all. All joking aside the Skins are already thin at talent...injuries just magnified that problem. The Skins need to cut some dead weight(Moss, A.H. Portis, Buchanan, Rogers, Daniels) during the offseason thats for sure. Coaching? They are still on the honeymoon.
The defense showed some promise awhile back but really haven't shown a whole lot of nothing the last bunch of games. On the bright side our draft position and scheduling slot are looking better every game.

at the end of the day...the defense has at least improved from last year. while we all think the O is less painful to watch than last yr...the fact is...they aint scoring much. look at today's score...the D played well enough to win...it was the offense...again...that didn't have it's proverbial xxxx together. yes...we have a weak receiving corps...yes....we don't have a threat at RB that scares any defenses...but it all starts with the O line.

the score was 17-13...with the offense giving one away down by the goal line. the defense was shaky...but it was the offense that lost this game.

Goodness, the Bears look good today. Their D has really frustrated Vick today, even threw an INT. Teams have an ebb and flow as the season goes on, I wonder if the Eagles hit their high point too early?
I don't think this is as much about game planning as it is scheme and talent. The Bears have been in the same Tampa 2 for years and play it well. As part of that scheme, they have fast players across the board and play pass coverage pretty well so as a team they matched up well against Vick and the Fecals. We aren't exactly stoked with speed players on defense and hence we're a bad matchup against Vick.

In fairness, going in I thought Vick and the Fecals were the better team so I guess game planning played at least some part in their win. As for us, I agree we had a lousy game plan for them but I doubt we'd have beaten them even with a good game plan.

Coaching is not the issue. Talent, players for the system, desire from the players, hard work, staying focused, etc., etc., etc. are the problems that face these Redskins. I think it is amazing that this coaching staff has been able to conjure five wins from this team. The future will be in good hands with the Coaches Shanahan and General Manager Allen. Boone talked about patience from the fans in last week's Hail Magazine and several members here have been preaching the same theme.

We can't erase more than a decade of bad management in eleven games. It will take three or four years. This is the first year of that process and with five games to go, the team has surpassed last season's win total. That is progress. Each game in 2010 will be a learning situation for the younger players and as the organization builds for the future, the results in 2011, 2012, and beyond will begin to show real progress. Patience is still required for the fans.

I see a lot of talk about our line here and specifically Rabach. I'm not saying he is great or that we couldn't stand to upgrade at the position but he is only one guy. What I am seeing a lot of, especially since Portis went out, is other teams blitzing a guy right through the gaps to either side of Rabach after he commits to his man. He can't get a lineman and pick up a blitzer. Neither can the guards.

Do we need to get younger and upgrade the talent along the offensive line? Yes. But don't be surprised if we continue to see a lot of the same issues until our younger backs take as much pride in blocking as CP has.

Last edited:
I see a lot of talk about our line here and specifically Rabach. I'm not saying he is great or that we couldn't stand to upgrade at the position but he is only one guy. What I am seeing a lot of, especially since Portis went out, is other teams blitzing a guy right through the gaps to either side of Rabach after he commits to his man. He can't get a lineman and pick up a blitzer. Neither can the guards.

Do we need to get younger and upgrade along the offensive line? Yes. But don't be surprised if we don't continue to see a lot of the same issues until our younger backs take as much pride in blocking as CP has.

yes...it takes a while for young RBs to figure out who and how to block - they have to understand the line schemes and adjustments to do it right. but I have been watching Rabach for years now: great guy; but physically over-matched for the position. he can't handle the bigger DTs/NTs and has been a HUGE liability in pass blocking. as a run blocker he's ok...

I'm not saying he doesn't get beat, Al. He does. I'm just saying that I have sees a lot of heat directed specifically at him over the last few weeks . . . pretty much all the games Portis has missed. I don't think that's a coincidence.

And no, I don't want him one on one with Pat Williams or Jay Ratliff or Suh or any number of other guys cause you are right. He can't handle those guys, at least not consistently enough to leave him on them by himself very long.

Rogers is a bust! He's often injured and can't catch a cold.

I disagree about Rogers being a bust. A bust does not stay on a team for 6 years. Also, besides this year, the only other time he missed a significant amount of time was during the 2007 season. He cannot catch, I can definitely agree with that. But, this guy has put down some great recievers since he has been here.

If he was drafted in the third round, I do not think so many Skins fans would call him a bust. In fact we would consider him a success. I know first round expectations are greater, but if you take that out of the equation, what do you have? A solid corner.

Almost any draft pick that can stay on a team for 6 years should be considered a success.

I really like the guy. I think he is a better corner than DeAngelo. He plays the run, he can line up in the slot, which is arguably the hardest DB position to play and he can run one on one with some of the best. If he could catch, he would be a top ten corner. Unfortunately he cannot and that is a major flaw. One that hurts this team and one that will hurt his pocket book this offseason. I for one hope we do what it takes, within reason of course, to keep him.

For a long time felt coaching was a problem. After watching the game yesterday not sure if coaching is the problem.

As I watched Peterson and Gerhart get a lot of yards after initial contact, dropped balls, ill timed penalties, and so on makes me think it is talent.

Why one week can we stop someone like Chris Johnson, but Gerhart comes in relief and pushes the pile? Early in the game we stopped him, but later on we would make initial contact and 3-5 yards later we would get him on the ground.

The way we tackled yesterday played into Vikings hand. With them running effectively it took the game out of Farve's hands. Thus no INT's. Come to think of it Farve got 10 yards with a broken foot!

Well, we didn't exactly stop Chris Johnson. The Titans just didn't use him as effectively as they could have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.