• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Cake or Death: Why do we Care?

Goaldeje

The Legend
Reaction score
Alma Mater
James Madison
Why do we care so much? How is it that when someone I never met, and had precious little chance of meeting, passed away unexpectedly, it affected me for days? How is it that three years later, it still affects me?

I have such strong memories of Sean Taylor flying around the field, wreaking havoc, just playing like the meast he was. But my enduring memory will be when I got online at my desk in my office and saw that he passed the night before.

Just shocked. Not sad yet, just shocked.

I mean, ST was invincible. Remember all the interchangeable Chuck Norris/Jack Bauer/Sean Taylor jokes people made? He was invincible.

The only thing I can relate it to is when Magic told us he was going to die.

http://www.bgobsession.com/blog.php?b=181

I think we care for a couple of different reasons. The first being that he was so young and had a lot of life ahead of him. That is a tragedy. If Sean was 78 years old and died from a heartattack, well it would be expected and would not bother many people except for his immediate family. This was unexpected.

We also tend to think about what could have been. In our minds ST was getting ready to explode and be one of the best FSs the game has ever seen. He was having a breakout year and if I remember correctly he destroyed Favre and the Packers. He had multiple interceptions, could have had 6 or 7 total, but dropped a couple. Favre was impressed. We had high hopes for him, it seemed like he turned a corner in his life and then it was taken away..needlessly.

We also invest so much time into these stars (in general movies, music, sports, etc...) they all take up a lot of our life, whether we are aware of it or not. We feel like we know them, even though we don't. There is an abundance of information out there and we can read or watch them anytime we want to. It makes us care because we can sympathise with them or damn them for situations we do not even have all of the information for.

I hate to say it, but if ST was not a dominant player and was more of a developmental player or role player then we would not hold his memory in such high regard. I bet most people do not recognize the names Damien Nash, Kenny McKinley, and to a lesser extent Darrent Williams. These are all guys that have passed away for the Broncos over the last few years, but they are never on the lists of 'most tragic losses in sports.' They were all young, but they were not dominant and possibly close to losing their careers.

It is a shame, but if Sean was not the player that he was or what we envisioned him to be, we would not care as much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.