• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Thanksgiving Menu

riggins44

The Franchise Player
Reaction score
First, want to wish everyone here a Happy Thanksgiving and may the Cowboys get whipped.

Now to the important stuff. I will be making first attempt at fixing turducken. Will also do a beer can chicken. My wife and son will do the sides and deserts.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Love beer can (or 'beer butt' as my teenage daughter scornfully calls it) chicken! How did the 'turducken' come out? Never been bold enough to try that one...

We have our family dinner on Friday. I'm doing grilled mushrooms stuffed with artichoke hearts/goat cheese/shallots/garlic/breadcrumbs, making homemade persimmon pudding (its a southern thing), and a smoked salmon/cream cheese roll. The rest of my siblings are doing the heavy lifting with the main course and sides this year :)

Hope everyone had some great eats today! Family and great food = amazing holiday :cheers:

For the moment, I am back at home to feed the cat and spend a few minutes with him before going back to my folks place for leftovers. Today, we had...

Turkey.
Collards.
Stuffing.
Gravy.
Mashed potatoes.
Sweet potato casserole.
Green beans.
Cranberry Sauce.

Pumpkin pie.
Lemon pie.

The cranberries were harvested from the bogs just a few miles from here. Courtesy of our farmer friends.

Wow - homemade cranberry sauce? Awesome - have never heard of anyone growing their own cranberries... I used to have a fall/winter garden and grew a slew of collards (one of my favorite vegetables). There's really not much better than really well-prepared, fresh collard greens. Might be my Kentucky-upbringing talking though.

Boone, gotta agree with you on collard greens, actually I love all the greens, turnip, mustard,...etc, but collards are in a class by themselves. Of course, being born in North Carolina and having grandparents from Kentucky got me into that at an early age.

Today some of my neighbors and I got together and had roast turkey, fried turkey, the usual fixin's, an assortment of vegetable dishes-basically a Thanksgiving buffet and a marvelous sweet potato casserole, three different types of dressing-and, of course the always delicious collards. Yum!

I woke up from the inevitable nap less than an hour ago! Whew! :yawnee:

Your neighbors are lucky to have a dinner guest of your intelligence, wit, and charm serv. Hope someday to experience that in person!

Glad you had a thanksgiving meal with good friends.

The cranberries that are farmed locally are part of the Ocean Spray co-op. New Jersey, Massachusetts, Wisconsin, and Oregon are the big producers in the U.S.

I had much of the traditional dishes, but mom made us a sweet potato dish I had never had before. She cooked the sweet potatoes, put them in a casserole dish, topped them off with marhmallows, sprinkled brown sugar over the top and baked them. Fantastic! Got my favorite dish as well! A family recipe, chopped cranberries, chopped pineapple, orange zest and cherry jello brand gelatin, topped off with a pineapple whipped cream! Yum!

Oh yeah, I love Collards! Like you Serv, I love most most greens! Had watercress recently and it brought me back to my boyhood days when I would go out with my gramma and pick them out of the pond on my cousins farm. But My favorite green is Kale. If prepared properly, I love Kale more than any other green. Mom, uses ham hocks or fat back. Had a former girlfriend who would sautee the Kale with garlic and olive oil and that was delish as well, not quite as good as mom's though.

The turducken turned out okay. Guess was waiting for a "wow" experience, but all of said it was good, just not great.

My son (in culinary program at school) made homemade mushroom gravy and yeast rolls. Think we had like 3 bottles of wine, plus ChocoVine for a desert wine.

Collards sound like a great idea for next year. My wife made a recipe her grandfather gave her years ago. Basically sauted onions and butter beans. We all had to be in seperate rooms last night. :)

When I was nursing school, doing my 'community health' rotation about 17 years ago, I had an at-home patient I had to visit every week for a semester, an african american woman in her early 80's. We just bonded almost immediately. I found out during my first couple of visits that she used to love to garden, grew all of her own vegetables. We had that in common. As this was a fall course, she mentioned several times that the thing she missed most this time of year was having fresh collards. She even gave me her top-secret method of preparation. She didn't know that I had a backyard garden full of them. The last visit I made to her, I brought her about 5 grocery bags full of collards. I swear, she almost cried.

Collards. They are a powerful vegetable :)

I had much of the traditional dishes, but mom made us a sweet potato dish I had never had before. She cooked the sweet potatoes, put them in a casserole dish, topped them off with marhmallows, sprinkled brown sugar over the top and baked them. Fantastic! Got my favorite dish as well! A family recipe, chopped cranberries, chopped pineapple, orange zest and cherry jello brand gelatin, topped off with a pineapple whipped cream! Yum!

Oh yeah, I love Collards! Like you Serv, I love most most greens! Had watercress recently and it brought me back to my boyhood days when I would go out with my gramma and pick them out of the pond on my cousins farm. But My favorite green is Kale. If prepared properly, I love Kale more than any other green. Mom, uses ham hocks or fat back. Had a former girlfriend who would sautee the Kale with garlic and olive oil and that was delish as well, not quite as good as mom's though.

El, that was the sweet potato casserole I was raving about in my previous post! You're right, it's delish! Kale is excellent as you said-have you ever tried dandelion greens? Yummy as well.

Your neighbors are lucky to have a dinner guest of your intelligence, wit, and charm serv. Hope someday to experience that in person!

Oh, my-I blush, I blush. You are overly kind. And your last sentence-it seems that our respective trajectories are likely to intersect at some future point.

Charm?

Brace yourself.

El, that was the sweet potato casserole I was raving about in my previous post! You're right, it's delish! Kale is excellent as you said-have you ever tried dandelion greens? Yummy as well.

Serv, you got me. There is a green of which I am not a fan! I have had dandelion greens. Tooooooo bitter!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.