• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Well, hell... (Childress out)

Just saw that myself. Unfortunate timing.

Hopefully this is more of a Robiske than a Garrett. :)

So is Green Bay a freaking coach-killer or what?

I've got a bad feeling about this. They have talent, especially on O. Peterson, Rice (played last week, targeted a lot), Harvin? That's tough for us to cover when healthy, much less with Landry, Los, et all being out. If they play hard for their new coach, that's gonna be a tough one for us.

Of course, if Favre starts, that gives us a couple of INTs right off the bat... :D

Let me just say here, I don't think I would have fired Childress.

Sure, he's handled the Favre thing badly but Favre is gone at the end of the year anyway. Childress actually did do a fine job of taking over a lackluster team from Tice and turning it into a pretty solid contender. This is really the first bad year he's had, and he gets the ax halfway through? I would think the previous few seasons would earn him some leeway.

But then again I don't pay that much attention to the Vikings. There's probably more to it than that.

Let me just say here, I don't think I would have fired Childress.

Sure, he's handled the Favre thing badly but Favre is gone at the end of the year anyway. Childress actually did do a fine job of taking over a lackluster team from Tice and turning it into a pretty solid contender. This is really the first bad year he's had, and he gets the ax halfway through? I would think the previous few seasons would earn him some leeway.

But then again I don't pay that much attention to the Vikings. There's probably more to it than that.

Yeah, apparently there is more to it than that. He's lost the locker room. Many of the players actively dislike him (although liking your coach isn't a prerequisite for playing well), and losing just makes it all worse:

Sean Jensen of the Chicago Sun-Times, a former beat writer of the Vikings peeled back the onion of open player revolt against Childress when he talked to Minnesota players in the run up to Sunday’s Vikings-Bears tilt in Chicago.

“We know that Childress doesn’t have our backs, so why should we have his?” one player said. “We’re playing for us, and we’re winning despite him.”

“He has absolutely no people skills,” said another team source regarding Childress.

“As much as I hate Childress, I will keep playing,” said another unnamed player.

It’s the old we are united because we hate his guts routine.

That’s like a grenade waiting for the pin to be pulled.

For his part, Childress seems content to keep tossing gasoline on the fire as his post-game comments lead to the conclusion that he is throwing his players under the bus. That was the case following the Vikings loss to Green Bay back on Oct. 24 when Childress ripped Brett Favre.

“For a lot of guys, that was a turning point,” a Vikings player said.

Worse than losing the players, the Sun-Times story said that Childress has lost some of his assistant coaches as they backed receiver Percy Harvin for his run-in with Childress at a practice last Friday.

Link

I think the major contributing factor here is Wilf has his hands tied a little by the popular outcry. He is in a fragile situation since he is trying to raise money to build a new stadium. This team had a swift down fall and has been dealing with a circus type atmosphere for most of the season. This is not a good fund raising campaign.

He had to make decisions that would make the public see he is willing to comply with there demands so he can get that money. W/out it, he is stuck in a rundown facility that he will continue to have to pump money into instead of building a new dream stadium for the fans, luring new free agents and his pocket book.

I would not be a bit surprised to see Favre released altogether. Fans seem to be sick of his antics as well.

Didn't know all that. Interesting.

One thing I never really noticed was the Vikings not playing hard this year. Seen them play I think 3 times, and what I saw was a team that simply couldn't get out of it's own way (penalties, brain farts and such). Not sure that they play any "harder" for the interim coach, whoever that might be. But it's possible they'll play a little smarter.

Which could be bad for us.

On the other hand, right now they have to feel like the grouchy old teacher has been fired and they get a substitute for the rest of the year.

Heh.

It hasn't been that long since I was in high school.

I wished they had waited another week. My gut says the players will pick it up, especially the D, playing for Frazier.

This is a different move than with Wade Phillips. With Phillips the players liked him, where with Chilly seems no one liked him.

Will be interesting to see what Frazier does with Farve.

Didn't know all that. Interesting.

Henry, it is pure speculation and I should have stated that, but I was just perusing the Vikings message board and they are talking about how to raise money for a new stadium. Some even feel they could lose the Vikings if a new stadium deal is not made.

It hasn't been that long since I was in high school.

On the contrary, it's been a lifetime or two (think of your kids). You're welcome. :movefast:

On topic, I didn't see the Vikings game yesterday, but I had heard that it was the first time this season that they did appear to have given up and weren't playing hard.

Henry, it is pure speculation and I should have stated that, but I was just perusing the Vikings message board and they are talking about how to raise money for a new stadium. Some even feel they could lose the Vikings if a new stadium deal is not made.

Last night on ESPN they alluded to the new stadium and how it may impact Wilf's decision. The fans wanted Childress gone. By cutting him you throw a bone to the fans with hope of getting a new stadium, plus sell a few seats.

On the contrary, it's been a lifetime or two (think of your kids). You're welcome. :movefast:
Ouch.

Serenity now.

On topic, I didn't see the Vikings game yesterday, but I had heard that it was the first time this season that they did appear to have given up and weren't playing hard.
That's what I was afraid of.

Ah well. Funny how quickly our perspectives change, ain't it? Yesterday at kickoff we were just hoping our team wouldn't embarrass itself again on the road against a good team. Today we're angsting over a potential coach-change bump against a 3-7 disaster of a team at home that could impact our playoff positioning.

Is this a great county or what?

Today we're angsting over a potential coach-change bump against a 3-7 disaster of a team at home that could impact our playoff positioning.

A la a high-pitched Jim Mora:

"What’s that? Ah — Playoffs? Don’t talk about — playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game! Another game."

That Packers site I visit, quite naturally, has a thread on Chilly's departure and its ramifications. I mentioned that there were some in Skinsland who were concerned that Minny might ramp their effort up ala Dallas.

One of the Packers fans offered some encouragement.

"
Kick their proverbial backsides next week!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOO SKINS!!!!"

So is Green Bay a freaking coach-killer or what?

To borrow from a fellow Packer poster -

Be afraid, Mike. Be very afraid...

Report-49ers-to-hire-Mike-Singletary.jpg

If we can't beat a reeling Vikings team, with a week old head coach, in total free-fall, we deserve the additional humiliation. I'm hoping the guys decided Sunday felt a lot better than Monday night did.

More Sunday, less Monday.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3zSV19AksQ[/media]

I've hated for the 'Skins to play on Mondays for a long time. For whatever reason, it seems to rarely produce the results that we want. I live here in the Philly area and I still haven't heard the end of it. Bah.

But I have a feeling that Minny will be ready and our team will pay the price. Hope I'm wrong.

Strength, brothers. It's like the old spider thing. As scary as those infernal eight-legged critters are to us, we're far far scarier to them.

The Redskins and Vikings meet for the 20th time in the history of the two franchises. The Redskins hold the series lead with a regular-season record of 8-6 and a postseason record of 3-2.

Coming into Sunday’s game, the Redskins have won eight of the last 11 meetings against the Vikings, including two playoff wins.

The last time the two teams met was on Dec. 23, 2007, with the Redskins winning 32-21 at the Metrodome in Minneapolis ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.