• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins, McNabb agree to 5-year, $78M extension

Agreed Sarge, though I don't think you can pin the loss on McNabb. He played fairly well last night I thought, given the circumstances.

The Redskins went 3 and out throught the first and early second quarters when the Eagles were exploding on offense. Even one long drive from the Redskins at 14-0 or 21-0 might have been able to stem the tide for awhile.

But this offense is bankrupt. There is no line. There are no healthy running backs that scare anyone. There are no wide receivers outside of Armstrong that have any speed.

I will be surprised if this offense reaches 28 points again this season.

Seriously, if you take away any special teams or defensive scores the team may get, my guess is Washington will be challenged to match the totals from last night.

If his level of play so far this year was worth $78mill, imagine how much his extension would have been if he was playing well!

Maybe what I read somewhere could be on the cards. Word was a straight swap for Cutler, as Cutler was a Shanny draft pick way back when.

I do not see any way that the Bears trade Cutler for McNabb straight up. Maybe I am wrong, but the Skins would have to add some compensation for that deal to go through. Maybe add a Haynesworth and/or Carter and the deal might get done.

I am kind of indifferent if the Cutler story holds true. If anyone can make that guy work well, it is Shannahan.

I do not see any way that the Bears trade Cutler for McNabb straight up. Maybe I am wrong, but the Skins would have to add some compensation for that deal to go through. Maybe add a Haynesworth and/or Carter and the deal might get done.
Even if that happened, the Skins would be stupid to make that trade. Cutler is inconsistent, has a terrible attitude, and has only shown to be any good at all when he has a freakish, tall, athletic #1 WR to pass to (B. Marshall).

It would be a poor fit for us.

I'd rather keep McNabb and trade other players off the roster for draft picks to build around him while we wait for our eventual QB of the future in the 2012 draft or beyond.

O.K., I take back my indifferent statement. I would not want Cutler here. I totally forgot about his poor attitude. Everyone else is always at fault, not him. I was against us getting him last season, so I do not know why I would suddenly say that it might be o.k. He can stay where he is.

O.K., I take back my indifferent statement. I would not want Cutler here. I totally forgot about his poor attitude. Everyone else is always at fault, not him. I was against us getting him last season, so I do not know why I would suddenly say that it might be o.k. He can stay where he is.
Don't take my post as a dig at you - just pointing out that I think any consideration of a trade like that could be disastrous for our team. We need stability and a commitment to building through the draft. Now that we have McNabb locked in for as long as we want him, we can concentrate on areas that have been neglected for way too long: O Line and D Line.

Even if that happened, the Skins would be stupid to make that trade.

The 'Skins wouldn't be the 'Skins if they DIDN'T make the trade. When has looking stupid stopped the Skins from trading for someone?

I don't think it's the players who make us look stupid, it's what we pay them!

Anyway, I was just relaying something I read in a Washington Post column.

I do like that we have a tackling dummy for the next couple years while we rebuild our Oline for the guy who will take us to the playoffs, I dont like that we paid so much for him. but hopefully we rebuild this offence because lets be honest it hasnt been good in a looooong time.

I do like that we have a tackling dummy for the next couple years while we rebuild our Oline for the guy who will take us to the playoffs, I dont like that we paid so much for him. but hopefully we rebuild this offence because lets be honest it hasnt been good in a looooong time.
I honestly could care less how much of Danny's money gets spent on players so long as:

1) It doesn't impact other moves we can make as a team AND
2) The player doesn't all of the sudden become complacent and lazy

Unfortunately, both scenarios have played out multiple times since Snyder took over. We have to hope that the new regime will put an end to the viscous circle.

Even if that happened, the Skins would be stupid to make that trade. Cutler is inconsistent, has a terrible attitude, and has only shown to be any good at all when he has a freakish, tall, athletic #1 WR to pass to (B. Marshall).

But.....but....we have Malcolm Kelly!!! Sorry....couldn't resist. ;)

In Cutler's defense, he's had to learn new offenses in each of his first two seasons with the Bears. Throw in the fact that his O-Line has been less than stellar this year, and that's putting it nicely, it could be a lot worse. The Bears don't have ANY receivers remotely capable of heading to the Pro Bowl and yet he still did us a favor and beat Dallas. That's one, albeit a small one, feather in his cap.

There are definitely trade-offs in any potential trade with McNabb. McNabb is STILL more mobile than Cutler but Cutler doesn't throw as many balls in the dirt either. While both tend to throw WTF interceptions, and neither likes to throw the ball away when the situation calls for it, Cutler doesn't have McNabb's strength when it comes to shaking off would be tacklers. Cutler is a tad more accurate than McNabb, when he has time to throw, and he already knows some of Mike's offense although I'm not sure how much Mike's and Kyle's offenses differ.

That said, I just don't see a trade happening. NcNabb has a history as a winner and a guy who says all the right things. That is leadership and that's something Cutler has yet to learn. A trade would undo the positive vibes and camraderie that is already starting to meld in the locker room. Then again, if Cutler came in and we started winning games, it might not matter that much but it WOULD be a huge gamble.

McNabb has a history as a winner and a guy who says all the right things. That is leadership and that's something Cutler has yet to learn.
This is the #1 reason why we shouldn't even think of it.

Too much risk with Cutler with very limited upside (other than age).

I'd rather stick with McNabb, address other key areas of need on the team, and draft a future QB in 2012 or beyond.

This is the #1 reason why we shouldn't even think of it.

Too much risk with Cutler with very limited upside (other than age).

I'd rather stick with McNabb, address other key areas of need on the team, and draft a future QB in 2012 or beyond.

Im with Bird, and its why I would have stayed with Campbell over Mcnabb, we need a placeholder who isnt gonna throw spazzes in the media, I actually think Campbell was better for that as he was a quiet guy who just tried hard. Mcnabb is a slight upgrade overall and a huge upgrade in big plays BUT we didnt need a big play guy if we were gonna upgrade the oline and receiver corps.

now I think we should stick with Mcnabb and rebuild.

priority unless a stud QB falls to us should be Oline and receivers and a stud RB on Offence and Dline FS and Sam or Buck on defence. preferably we bail on the 3-4 like Buffalo did and then we really need a third DT and a sam and FS instead of mass rebuild.

priority unless a stud QB falls to us should be Oline and receivers and a stud RB on Offence and Dline FS and Sam or Buck on defence. preferably we bail on the 3-4 like Buffalo did and then we really need a third DT and a sam and FS instead of mass rebuild.
I'd much rather have a RB-by-committee and instead stockpile O and D line talent. Average RBs can win games behind stud O Lines.

Even if we convert back to the 4-3, we still need more D-line talent anyways.

but getting a solid 4-3 dt and some depth is easier than getting two 3-4 De's and a stud NT, also getting a sam and some depth would be easier than getting a new ILB and a new OLB and depth.
Very true, although I think Carricker would eliminate the need for one of the DE positions.

I find this very interesting. I am surprised McNabb signed such a deal.

Per Rotoworld:

Per Donovan McNabb's new "six-year" contract, the Redskins have a window to pay his $10 million option bonus in 2011 that extends from March 1 until Week 1 of next season.

As details continue to seep out, the contract looks worse for McNabb by the day. The Skins could theoretically squat on McNabb's rights until the start of the season, opt against paying him the option bonus, and release him when the rest of the NFL already has its quarterback depth charts set. As one league source told Profootballtalk.com, "They can really stick it to him."
Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

Very true, although I think Carricker would eliminate the need for one of the DE positions.

Until last week I would have agreed, but hes gained weight and size at the cost of speed and he looked brutal when asked to actually do more than suck up blocks (which means contain when we dont blitz an OLB on his side). thats why I think we need all three DL positions if we continue to run 3-4.

also im gonna repost a brilliant post by a guy on a packers message board, it was well researched and showed how if you arent succsessful right out of the gate at the switch, you probably arent gonna be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.