• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

PFT: Glazer: Kyle Shanahan talked about benching McNabb against Eagles

BGO

The speed with which the Redskins unfurled McNabb Benching Excuse 1.0 suggested that the Redskins had been holding the explanation in their back pockets for a while.Jay Glazer of FOX confirms these suspicions, reporting that offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan first...

More...

I have real concerns about McNabb's performance to date too. But I'm not crazy enough to believe that there's sufficient evidence Rex Grossman can get the job done to entrust him as a starter over McNabb.

In one corner we have a talented, physically-gifted but flawed McNabb. He's been a pro bowl QB in the past and led teams to championships. In the other corner, we have, well.....Rex Grossman.

I mean - are you kidding me?

Now if McNabb throws 3 or 4 picks in a game...is having one of those 'melt down' kinds of performances, of course you reserve the right to pluck him and give someone else a chance.

But no way can the Shanahans truly believe that Grossman gives them a better chance of winning than Donovan McNabb does.

Ever.

Tell me I'm right on that front - please???!

Once upon a time, we were thinking that there is no way an aging Todd Collins could lead the Redskins on an impressive winning streak and straight into the playoffs.

Let the coaches make the call. I still feel like DMc5 could be in Minnesota next year and they would be crazy enough to cough up some valuable draft picks.

My $0.02

Tell me I'm right on that front - please???!

Well, Boone, I can't go quite that far since opinions have no such thing as "rightness" or "wrongness" attached to them, except in our own assumptions, however, given the evidence that I'm aware of I would tend to disagree with your estimate of the perspective that Coach&Son have. I, at this time anyway, think it's likely that they both are still in an assessment mode and are not completely satisfied with DMcN's progress in assimilating the system.

Both Mike and Kyle seem to me to be almost perfectionists in how they view the installation of a new offensive system-even a complex one involving players, above all QBs, un-learning long entrenched modes of play-and perfectionists, in my experience, cut little slack toward those making what-in their eyes, at least-is inadequate progress.

Now as far as Grossman is concerned, I am, as you seem to be, befuddled by the ease with which Mike Shanahan inserted him after benching McNabb although, from what I perceive as Shanahan's perspective it was probably a logical move. Grossman's knowledge of the technicalities of the system apparently trumped some of his history of inconsistent and occasionally dysfunctional play and if both Shanahans are disappointed in the progress McNabb is making then the move makes sense coming from that perspective.

It then boils down to whether or not one views that perspective as helpful or not and there is where my doubts have their origin. My-note this carefully-opinion is that they both have placed too much emphasis on intellectual grasp of the offensive system and too little on how McNabb and Grossman actually play at the QB position.

Again, just my opinion.

I have by the way enhanced an old saying about opinions.

Opinions are like a$$holes-but for two reasons.

1.) The obvious one-everybody has one,

2.) Just like a$$holes-they're periodically full of sh*t.

This includes mine.

I think that's likely (since we're equivocating :)) exactly where the 'Shanahans' are serv... and my primary concern arises from the same place yours does. It's not that I don't value knowledge of a system, discipline in implementing it, and careful adherence to it's core principles. I think what we're now seeing pulled out into broad daylight is that McNabb isn't applying those principles, isn't adhering to the tenets of the system the Shanahans want to implement, and simply isn't playing within the confines of the structure that is being put into place.

However - there's another aspect of quarterbacking, and its not just about structure, system, and discipline. It's about being able to play the position. Grossman, despite what I see as huge *potential*, has always seemed to lack that 'it' factor that allows him to sense the right decision to make at the right time. I'm not sure that can be taught. He's terminally flawed in my opinion. As surely as everything McNabb needs can be 'taught', nearly none of that which limits Grossman can be.

Again, that's my opinion.

And on top of all that - I'm a big believer in dancing with the date you brung. And we most certainly went out of our way to bring McNabb. The only way I actually support (at least in a lukewarm sense) the benching of McNabb is if it was designed plainly and simply to be an attention-getter. We'll see in the coming weeks if it had that effect.

First off, I don't think they would have benched McNabb in that game. It would have ruined the relationship between the coaches and McNabb for sure. There is likely irreparable damage as it stands now. There is a huge difference between a whiny, over paid, lazy D-lineman and a proven, likable QB.

Another idea being tossed around in this thread that I wanted to address (offer my opinion) is an idea I supported earlier in the season, McNabb ending up in Minnesota. I am not so sure that is a possible option anymore. It is likely McNabb is gone after this season with things shaping up the way they are.

*side note* Anyone want to wager the Haynesworth is on this team next season before McNabb?

Anyway, as this season progresses, it looks like Chilly may be cracking under pressure. A more realistic destination could be the team that is beating them up today, Arizona. They could be salivating at the idea of McNabb/Fitzgerald.

I have heard it mentioned that somehow we could acquire some picks from Minnesota for McNabb. I am confused by this. If he hasn't signed a new deal, an issue I addressed in the beginning of the season, how do we trade him? Can we franchise him? I didn't think we could.

Have we wasted a 2nd rounder on him?

Edit: Just as I post this Minnesota ties it up. Ha!

Last edited:
First off, I don't think they would have benched McNabb in that game. It would have ruined the relationship between the coaches and McNabb for sure. There is likely irreparable damage as it stands now. There is a huge difference between a whiny, over paid, lazy D-lineman and a proven, likable QB.

Another idea being tossed around in this thread that I wanted to address (offer my opinion) is an idea I supported earlier in the season, McNabb ending up in Minnesota. I am not so sure that is a possible option anymore. It is likely McNabb is gone after this season with things shaping up the way they are.

*side note* Anyone want to wager the Haynesworth is on this team next season before McNabb?

Anyway, as this season progresses, it looks like Chilly may be cracking under pressure. A more realistic destination could be the team that is beating them up today, Arizona. They could be salivating at the idea of McNabb/Fitzgerald.

I have heard it mentioned that somehow we could acquire some picks from Minnesota for McNabb. I am confused by this. If he hasn't signed a new deal, an issue I addressed in the beginning of the season, how do we trade him? Can we franchise him? I didn't think we could.

Have we wasted a 2nd rounder on him?

Edit: Just as I post this Minnesota ties it up. Ha!

Great question El! And it would be a 2nd (last draft) + a 3rd or 4th (in the next draft) - even worse. hard to tell what is going on. trust in Shanahan/Allen?

As predicted, the Lions loss will prove in retrospect to have been a must-win and a major opportunity missed with big wins by both the Eagles and Giants today. Appears that both of them are vastly better teams than our Redskins in 2010.

I'm not a huge fan of Kyle yet.

And if given the choice, I'd take McNabb over Kyle by 100 miles.

Except that we know McNabb's potential, and honestly, he may have reached it years ago and be on the decline. Kyle Shanahan? Tough to judge, but I'm hesitant to be too critical of a young guy walking into a disastrous situation. Lots of great coaches didn't have super starts, including some in the Hall of Fame. Something to consider anyway....

If what is reported is true and McNabb IS such a bad fit for this offense, then that really calls into question whether Mike Shanahan can be successful here being the final decision-maker on personnel.

Bellichick and Parcells COULD do both jobs. Other guys like Holmgren, Seifert, etc. couldn't and were flops after having initial success in Green Bay and San Francisco.

The danger here is that Shanahan from what I read took over more personnel responsibilities in Denver after Elway retired and looking at the record after 2000 it was one of a few highs but also some lows just like Gibbs II.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.