• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Post Article: QB Controversy? I say nonsense!

Elephant

The Commissioner
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
I want to first announce that Jason Reid does a good job of dispelling any rumors. What I don't like is the way the Post suggests there could be controversy with the title of the story under the pic of McNabb and Kyle. This is the stuff that sells newspapers these days?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/sports/

So, there is no story yet you invent one to sell papers? Here's another story suggesting McNabb isn't much better than Campbell out in Oakland.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/community/groups/index.html?plckForumPage=Forum&plckForumId=Cat:a70e3396-6663-4a8d-ba19-e44939d3c44fForum:287148f9-2

Glad to see many of the members of the discussion not buy into it either.

That's just silliness. :)

I want to first announce that Jason Reid does a good job of dispelling any rumors. What I don't like is the way the Post suggests there could be controversy with the title of the story under the pic of McNabb and Kyle. This is the stuff that sells newspapers these days?

So, there is no story yet you invent one to sell papers? Here's another story suggesting McNabb isn't much better than Campbell out in Oakland.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/community/groups/index.html?plckForumPage=Forum&plckForumId=Cat:a70e3396-6663-4a8d-ba19-e44939d3c44fForum:287148f9-2

Besides his leadership, has McNabb impressed you ? Would you give him a long term contract tomorrow ? The second story will not load, but none the less, this is a viable back story. If the staff was sure he was the answer for the next few years, the contract would have been done already.

Besides his leadership, has McNabb impressed you ? Would you give him a long term contract tomorrow ? The second story will not load, but none the less, this is a viable back story. If the staff was sure he was the answer for the next few years, the contract would have been done already.

God I hope you're wrong. Otherwise we are gonna have to listen to people bitch about losing a second round pick for a rental. And justifiably so.

Not sure i would give him an extension, but not sure I definitively wouldn't either. Without him, we are lucky to have two wins this year. But he is so damn inconsistent, not sure I want to hitch my wagon to him long term.

Those of you who watched a lot of his Philly games, are we seeing an identifiable erosion of skills, or is this just who he is? Did he get old overnight, or does he just have off quarters, halves and games?
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Damn, just reread that post. I am cranky tonight. Worse day at work than I thought. Sorry for being so negative, he hasn't been THAT bad.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Barring a turn around in his play where he can all of the sudden hit short passes consistently, I'd be surprised if he's signed to any type of extension.

Miles, I would sign him to a 3-5 year deal. Absolutely! I brought it up earlier in the year that it concerned me that the negotiations are non-existent. I thought his likely destination would be Minnesota after Brett is gone because we would be unable to protect him this year. That scenario seems less likely since they are worse than we are at this point. But unless we make the playoffs, I think he is likely gone.

I also believe we need to draft someone whom we can mold behind him. He is inconsistent, there is no doubt about it, but he is still a top ten QB in this league. Our line is improved from last year, but watching McNabb behind center, I feel more comfortable than I have in years and I believe he has a couple more years in him. Do I accept that he is going to throw the ball in the dirt sometimes? Do I realize that it doesn't matter how good you are when you are faced with 3 defensive players in your face without any protection he will make errant throws? He is not Peyton Manning! So yes, I can accept those things.

What I do not trust is Rex Grossman as our starting QB. You talk about inconsistent. Now is there another QB out there that we can pickup in a trade or via FA that will do a better job? I don't think so. Here's a list of QB FA this off-season, you think we are gonna land Peyton, or Brady? I don't!

http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html

Anyway, the inference I read on the sports page this morning was that they are conjuring up a QB controversy today, that perhaps Rex can come in and do a better job. Just sounds like the Post is turning into a filthy rag of a newspaper.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd sign him to a front loaded deal for 3-5 as well. Then we need to go looking for a young gun to replace him

well....McNabb has had problems adjusting to the new offense. And I would wait out the season to see where other QB contracts go, where CBA goes and how Donovan adapts. That said.....Kyle and Mike have problems elsewhere in the offense that need to be addressed. For example, as MS stated in a thinly veiled criticism Monday, the receiving corps dropped a bunch of passes last Sunday including a potential TD pass at the beginning of the game. The blocking scheme still hasn't taken hold and we all know that while rabach is good at calling the line schemes he still gets blown up by bigger NTs/tackles.

so....the response common around these parts: work in progress. shared responsibility. but I do like how KS calls a game! he needs more tools to work with and time in the system for what he does have.

so....the response common around these parts: work in progress. shared responsibility. but I do like how KS calls a game! he needs more tools to work with and time in the system for what he does have.

Like a big, fast, physical receiver? I keed Al! I keed!

Well, if he'd go for it, I'd sign him up for next year, now, with a bonus, paid now to avoid whatever cap is around next year (can we do that?) with a small salary for next year, that combined, would equal what Brady got, for one year.

That should be enough to convince him he's part of our plan, but that we need to wait and see what the new CBA will look like before we commit too many future dollars. And it buys us time to better evaluate his performance here.

I'd have to see some improvement in McNabb after the Bye Week before I make any decisions about locking him up if I'm Bruce Allen. Yeah, his play "seems" to have eroded but he's still better than what we had and maybe what appears to be erosion is simply the by-product of learning a new system.

Campbell had ONE good game against the Broncos, because the entire team was clicking, and everyone thinks it's a big to-do. I'm pretty certain he'll revert back to his old form before too long. One advantage Campbell has though is he knows how to learn a new offense quickly. He's certainly had enough practice at it. ;)

If the staff was sure he was the answer for the next few years, the contract would have been done already.

I'm not so sure this is 100% accurate - with the new CBA (or lack thereof) looming, I don't think anyone is in any hurry to extend any contracts. Now maybe they are unsure also, but I think the CBA is a big part of why he hasn't been extended.

I'm not so sure this is 100% accurate - with the new CBA (or lack thereof) looming, I don't think anyone is in any hurry to extend any contracts. Now maybe they are unsure also, but I think the CBA is a big part of why he hasn't been extended.

Agreed, I kind of lost sight of that...

you betcha bubba!!!!!......:claps:

I'm tellin ya...you just know KS is lookin for the next Andre Johnson!

That would be great! Big physical guy on one side, Anthony Armstrong on the other with Santana in the slot?

Draft?

Julio Jones, Alabama?

Austin Pettis, Boise State?

Michael Floyd, Notre dame?

How about a FA?

Steve Breaston if he gets healthy?

Sidney Rice?

Vincent Jackson?

That would be great! Big physical guy on one side, Anthony Armstrong on the other with Santana in the slot?

Draft?

Julio Jones, Alabama?

How about a FA?

Sidney Rice?

Vincent Jackson?

there's the rub! we need d-line, o-line..........we can get by with this receiving corps....even tho - despite my respected critics like Cranky - I look around the league and see the guys who dominate (C Johnson, A Johnson, M Austin, H Nicks.......) all trend to big and talented....with definite advantages in the red zone.

but.......it is what it was. we're short on picks next yr and it appears Allen/Shanahan don't go for flashy/expensive FAs/trades. I'd build the o-line into a lean, mean blocking machine and add youth/depth 3-4 types to the d-line next off-season. can't go wrong doing that.

i know...too soon to talk next year. but what the H! we're rule breakers we too. what do you think the priorities ought to be after 8 games? (looking ahead past this Sunday)

Draft?

Julio Jones, Alabama?

How about a FA?

Sidney Rice?

Vincent Jackson?

Love Rice if available. Would probably be a little cheaper too, given his injury this year. Might not be the case if he explodes when he comes back. That WR corps is sick with Harvin, Moss and Rice (assuming health). Oh and Berian ain't bad either, especially as your fourth.

Perhaps I was burned by three years ago, but I really am not in favor of drafting another WR with an early pick. Maybe the FO will go the FA route this time?

There is always Kelly. Coaches must have kept him on IR for a reason. They were willing to cut DT mid-season, but kept Kelly. Maybe they see something in him? If he could just get healthy...

Love Rice if available. Would probably be a little cheaper too, given his injury this year. Might not be the case if he explodes when he comes back. That WR corps is sick with Harvin, Moss and Rice (assuming health). Oh and Berian ain't bad either, especially as your fourth.

Perhaps I was burned by three years ago, but I really am not in favor of drafting another WR with an early pick. Maybe the FO will go the FA route this time?

There is always Kelly. Coaches must have kept him on IR for a reason. They were willing to cut DT mid-season, but kept Kelly. Maybe they see something in him? If he could just get healthy...

you're right abt Minny. something to watch.

I'm thinking (at this point) that the #1 pick goes to a NT if true value is there. I'd go guard 2nd rnd and try to trade for a 3rd to draft a center. who really knows at this point. Your/El's instinct that a quality receiver will come via trade/FA is probably on the mark.

Mike, I agree, though I do think VJax is very talented. He makes great plays, and made Rivers look pretty good a couple of times last year (works both ways).

But I think he is a headcase and not worth it. You know, the crazy/hot scale? The hotter a girl is, the more a guy is willing to put up with her crazy. But there comes a tipping point where it doesn't matter how hot a girl is, there is just too much crazy (looking at you, Glenn Close).

VJax is a little too crazy, imo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.