• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

quick thoughts

I agree -nice post - but disagree on Torain. No he's not blazing fast, but tell the Colts he can't get outside. He shredded them all day on the outside edge. He's tough to bring down and that makes up for a lack of speed.

In fact, I'd say the opposite - he struggles running off tackle. He cuts when he doesn't need to, and needs to follow his blockers more.

Allow me to clarify, if I may.

We have been far more effective with the outside zone and stretch plays than we have with the inside zone, although I wouldn’t necessarily put this on Torain. It may reflect more on the skill set of our offensive linemen.

However, the outside zone and stretch plays still involve a cutback. When the defense maintains the gaps and take away the cutback lanes, Torain lacks the speed to beat them to the outside. He is better off in that case, turning up field anyway, accepting a short gain rather than extending the play to the sideline.

Neither the quickness of his cuts nor his burst through the hole are particularly impressive unlike what you would expect of a good outside runner. However, once he makes those cuts two factors that are particularly impressive come into play. One is his obvious lower body strength and his balance. With the defense running laterally to the line of scrimmage and suddenly having to change directions as he cuts back, they can’t square up and make a clean hit on him. So while he may not have the sharpest cuts and the quickest bursts that allow him to hit those holes untouched, his strength and balance allow him to shed those tackles. Many times over the last two weeks, we saw him hit near the line of scrimmage and the next moment he was 10 yards down the field.

This is very much in contrast with Portis who seems to run outside in an almost unbalanced manner and relies on his burst to get free. Torain seems to run outside the tackles like a strong inside runner and although he probably won’t break off many 70 yarders, he did break off 3 20+ gains (all in the 4th quarter.)

The announcers made a big deal during the replay of the third and one play, in the 4th quarter with about 4 minutes left, about how Torain did not follow his blockers who got a push to the right while he cut it back to the left right into the arms of the DE and OLB on the left side. However, following the blockers would have meant that it was man blocking rather than zone blocking. I suspect that the play was designed to cut back to the left and that the failure was on left side of the defensive line that didn't seal off the back side of the play. Maybe the DE took a strong inside move and the guard and tackle couldn’t handle him. I don’t have a recording (being geographically challenged and all) but it would be interesting to see what the left guard and tackle were doing on that play because they sure didn’t seem to block anybody. Keep in mind that in a zone blocking scheme, the runner’s cutback actually helps create the cutback lane as the defensive line runs themselves out of the play. So the runner actually has to commit to the cutback before it is really there. But for it to work, the back side has to be sealed off. During the Indy game the announcers pointed out how we were committing a blocker (often Sellers) to sealing off the Colts fast DE’s. It looked to me like we didn’t seal off on this particular play.

Perhaps someone with a recording could enlighten us. :)

In fact, I feel certain that it was not a touchdown.
You are correct. It wasn't challenged, it's not on the scoreboard, so it wasn't officially a touchdown.

But it WAS an obvious touchdown.

All you have to do is picture that it was McNabb, and not Cutler.

Obvious.

Touchdown.

It's ok to say it. They won't take the win away.

Childress at least knows what his best weapon is, and uses him frequently.

I don't consider Norv an "NFL coach" anymore. Actually, I think only the Chargers consider him such anymore...
Both should be unemployed, as head coaches, next season.

After yesterday's loss, I would say Norv is the first coach fired this season. The Chargers have had high hopes the last several years only to be struck by the Norval curse! Smith has to realize he made a poor choice. I bet if they fired Norv today, Rivera could turn this season into a respectable one, not the playoffs but 8-8 or 9-7. As it stands, they will be lucky to go 7-9.

As for Torain's 3rd and 1 from yesterday Alaskan. First, I will cede to your knowledge of the ZBS and consider it wasn't as obvious as Aikman pointed out during yesterday's game. As I looked at the play several times, it looked liked Torain did not follow his assignment. Again, not knowing where he was "supposed to go", I can't tell you where he should have been. I will say this, he has shown impatience on a few runs. Yesterday, he ran out in front of his blocking at least once that I can remember. He just looks like a young RB trying to do more than he should and not being disciplined in his assignments. That is why I bought into Aikman's analysis. I looked for the video and could not find it so I cannot tell you what Lichtensteiger or Williams were doing on the play, but if memory serves they didn't get much protection from that side.

Yep, Elephant, that's the problem we fans always face. We know what we see (well sometimes we do :bucktooth: ) But we don't really know how the play is designed. I just saw the play and the replay and during the replay was focued on Aikman's analysis and didn't really pay attention to what Williams and Lictensteiger were doing.

However, even if the play was designed for Torain to follow the blockers to the right, I can't believe they would allow the DE and OLB on the left side to remain totally unblocked. After all it wasn't as if the play was going around the right end where you might sucessfully ignore the backside pursuit and you would want to put a body on them to make sure they didn't penetrate and blow up the play in the backfield.

Childress at least knows what his best weapon is, and uses him frequently.

OK, I'm gonna entertain this tangent briefly. I've seen three Viking games this season, and Childress seems to be getting progressively worse. The play that stick out in my mind was against the Dolphins in week 2. 1st and goal at the 1. Run AP, right? How about three straight to the right, away from their strong blocking side? Not only three straight runs to the right, but the exact same play called. No play action thrown in there, no run to the left, all three sweeps to the right.

Imagine how frustrated we were with the toss left on 3rd and 1. Then multiply it by 3, and by 1,000 b/c it was on the goal line.

He's just not a good coach.

Norv at least we know can diagram and call plays well; plus the Lord of No-Rings has hamstrung him with poor talent evaluation. Lovie also was a good coordinator at one point. Chan Gailey seems to have the Bills playing hard.

Childress is terrible. Ask any Vikings fan that really knows football. He's awful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.