• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Not Too Disappointed

Elephant

The Commissioner
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
Look, we have a lot of holes on this team. We have a lot of rebuilding to do! But, over the last 2 weeks we took 2 of the favorites to go the Super Bowl to close games winning one of them.

One thing I have learned as this season progresses, I would rather have our D, as poorly as they have played in many respects, on the field to end the game than our offense. I feel more comfortable that our D stiffens up toward the end of the game and I don't have confidence in McNabb to win it.

Overall, 3-3, one game out of first after 6? Better than I thought a few weeks back. Not too disappointed with this loss. The Colts are better than us, and we still almost pulled it out.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have picked us to be 3-3, so I'm pleased in that regard. Definitley don't have any confidence in McNabb. When he's needed the most, he just doesn't seem to get it done. Much of why he drove Philly fans nuts. Really wish we'd be building with a different QB. He makes us better now is many respects, but I don't think he can get the job done. It's a shame not to have a QB learning as the team grows that will be here longer and perform better in the clutch. But, maybe the Shanahan's can fix him.

El, had anyone, prior to the regular season opener against Dallas told me that we would beat the Eagles in Philly and the Packers and come within three points of taking out the Colts I would have called them a crazed delusional homer. I figured we would be markedly better than last season, probably an 8-8 type team-not a world-beater or playoff contender yet but respectable and competitive and making progress away from the dismal failure of 2009 and moving in ther direction of being at least in the contention for a wildcard spot in 2011.

We're better than I expected. We have holes naturally, gaps in both execution and still in the learning curve of system changes....but....we are, to be honest, a much better team than I thought we'd be at this point.

I am proud of this team and I'm not ashamed to say so.

There wil be those who will pioint out the mistakes, the dropped potential INTs-yeah, those hurt, I'll admit that myself, and they should be pointed out. But.... we stayed with one of the most consistent powerhouse teams of the past decade better than I would have dared hope prior to the season. Like many, I guess, I had penciled in Green Bay and Indy as presumed losses and even had serious doubts about Philly once Vick became the starter and started getting hot. As I mentioned in the chat room, we are going to be a tough out for anybody playing us-not just competitive-but a serious threat to actually snatch a win from anybody left on the schedule.

That's not at all what I was expecting to believe this early in this season.

Yeah Skins it was a tough one to lose-but you're farther along than I thought you'd be.

And I'm proud of you.

Hail.

Yep, as losses go, this one really wasn't so painful.

I understand the frustration with McNabb - that throw on 4th down was not a thing of beauty - but if our only choices are between him and Jason Campbell, the move to pick up McNabb looks like a very good idea. He may not run the 2 minute like Staubach or Elway, but he keeps us competitive in games where our offensive line is getting absolutely whipped, when most QB's would be tossing picks.

Surround him with enough talent, and maybe he can win the big one for you.

3-3 is already one up on my season prediction. Yes, I thought we were only a 2-14 team going in, with a major defensive overhaul (scheme wise), major disenchantment within the team (the Big Al saga) and a major coaching overhaul all combining for a season of failure.

However, the D is starting to come around, whereas the O is sputtering. The players have accepted the coaching staff, and Big Al, well, he's still Big Al.

Next up in Chicago, who have also beaten GB and Dallas, so another close one there, and we should beat Detroit this time around as they are not a yet-to-win team this year. 5-3 at the bye week sets us up well.

I'm off to edit the ads out of the DVD.

Bull****.

A loss is a loss. They're ALL disappointing, and they damn well should be. I think these type games are even more disappointing. The defense spends most of their time looking like a duck trying to **** a hula-hoop. Yet they still give the offense opportunities to make plays, which they seem to fail at more often than not.

And Aussie, 5-3 would be great.

However, we're equally, if not even more capable, of entering the buy 3-5.

Bull****.

A loss is a loss. They're ALL disappointing, and they damn well should be. I think these type games are even more disappointing. The defense spends most of their time looking like a duck trying to **** a hula-hoop. Yet they still give the offense opportunities to make plays, which they seem to fail at more often than not.

bingo.

that defense continues to be shredded every game. giving up gobs of yardage matters against the best teams - and the Colts are a shadow of their former selves. GD it.....is Haslett the world's biggest idiot? I had to turn the TV off when I saw that friggin idiotic defensive formation - again - that has one down linemen to the strong side and everyone else to the other side. Every team we have played has audibled to a sizable run right at the hole. the defense still can't get their zone defense right - every game there are mistakes. the pass rush doesn't have any consistency. run defense disappears too often. and the offense...how many balls are Moss an Cooley going to drop this year? how many times is DM going to over throw open receivers or make love to the dirt? this is basic stuff - stuff we have been watching for years.

I could settle for the prevailing theme of "it's ok...we're not losing as much as we used to" if I thought a real plan was in place. but I don't. I think we are getting by with great coaching but due to actions of the past - including this past off-season - this team has dug a huge hole.

my problem is...where does the bally-hooed "rebuild" come from? 4 draft picks every year with few to none making the cut in the mid to lower rounds aint gonna cut it. maybe Allen should coax Ozzie Newsome into helping him out during the off-season - that team sure seems to resurrect itself very quickly when it hits the dumps.

so..assuming brown and williams stay healthy...I can see the offense making a big leap next year in the running game by drafting/signing a talented guard and maybe a center. but I don't see us getting the big receiver this offense is screaming for - a difference maker. and the defense has too many problems on the line to fix in one off-season.

that's assuming there is a next season... :) .....

The Colts are a shadow of their former selves? Really? Doing quick math in my head (never a good idea at 6:30am), Manning now has over 2000 yards. After six games. That offense was a thing of beauty to watch last night. I can not imagine how frustrating it must have been for the Texans, Titans and Jags to play in that division for the past ten years. Holy cow.

I was disappointed we didn't run the ball more. Torain was killing it out there. If they want to run a hurry up offense all game to try to wear out the defense, fine. Let's run the ball all game and wear them down. Plus, early in the game the playaction calls were working fantastically well.

We were two or three plays away from beating the Colts. Period. Yes, we need the execute better. And Fansince, if i never see the one down lineman alignment again it will be too soon, agree there. But if you are trying to tell me his team isn't leaps and bounds better than last year, you're nuts. We can build on this.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Guys, it was the COlts. You know, Payton Friggin Manning? The guy that's been shredding the league to what, 12 seasons? The guy that can run hisoffense asleep. I was shocked we didn't get whomped

I wouldn't have picked us to be 3-3, so I'm pleased in that regard. Definitley don't have any confidence in McNabb. When he's needed the most, he just doesn't seem to get it done. Much of why he drove Philly fans nuts. Really wish we'd be building with a different QB. He makes us better now is many respects, but I don't think he can get the job done. It's a shame not to have a QB learning as the team grows that will be here longer and perform better in the clutch. But, maybe the Shanahan's can fix him.

Maybe, but he's been throwing dirt balls for 11 years now. You really didn't expect that to stop, did you? Still, he's leagues better then what we've had since Ripien in his prime. TWENTY YEARS AGO. He's the least of our worries. I'll take it. For now.

Yep, as losses go, this one really wasn't so painful.

I understand the frustration with McNabb - that throw on 4th down was not a thing of beauty - but if our only choices are between him and Jason Campbell, the move to pick up McNabb looks like a very good idea. He may not run the 2 minute like Staubach or Elway, but he keeps us competitive in games where our offensive line is getting absolutely whipped, when most QB's would be tossing picks.

Surround him with enough talent, and maybe he can win the big one for you.

We'll see. So far he's had to run for his life most of the season, since Rabach has been getting blown away again this year.

Bull****.

It could be worse. If this were last years gang, I doubt we would have still been fighting at the end of the Dal ass game or the Green Bay game.

And yes, losses suck, butagain, it was the Colts, and we're not in that league yet. But the sounds coming out of hte locker room make it at least seem like these guys give a **** if they lose

Overall, I'm pretty happy we held up against them. Last year it would have been ****ing ugly

I hate to lose, but we are far more competitive and entertaining then have been in years. Past couple of years would have turned the TV off at the half and gone to bed.

Now I don't dare leave. We are going to keep in close and interesting. The last INT by McNabb was very close to be a 80 yrd TD. I know close only counts in handgrenades and horseshoes. If you watch that play again the safety made a great play and catch. If he had mistimed his jump or didn't make a great one handed grab...the ball was in Galloway's hands.

We are a year to two away from being major players for playoffs and Super Bowl. Watching them I can see this team being something special when everything clicks. We don't make the stupid plays and mistakes. Still on the fence about Haslett. Think our offense will better once the OL is stabilized.

Today I am proud of my team and wear my gear proudly. Funny....don't see a lot of Blue Stars, Cowboy hats, jerseys, and other crap today. Life is good.

1) These are all negatives: I'm proud because we aren't as bad as we used to be.

2) "It's Peyton Manning" doesn't cut it. Teams are in business for one purpose - to win. Why play at all if you believe there are teams you can't beat? And the Colts can be beaten - for all of Peyton's glory..how many rings does he sport? That defense can be beaten...and has been this season. You keep Manning off the field by running a lot - and you don't let him go 91 yards in seconds!

So yea...there's always the refrain "we're improving...it's the first year". And I can partially buy into that. but what's the way-ahead? I don't see it. The strategy relies too much on discovering talent among what other teams see as the dregs. where is this team going to find difference makers other than first round picks? and where is the QB of the future? It's becoming more clear now why the FO hasn't offered an extension to DM - they aren't sure how far with his liabilities he can take the team....at the rate he is going to demand. adds some clarity to Philly's decision process. Am I glad he's a Skin? Yup. Do I think we should pay him Brady/Manning dollars - let alone Stafford/Bradford dollars - which even franchising will arrive at? not so sure.

I'm interested to see how this team responds against the Bears.

The last time we lost a 'proud of our guys' game (Texans) we went out the next week and laid an egg.

If this team is really making progress we'll give Chicago a game.

The last time we lost a 'proud of our guys' game (Texans) we went out the next week and laid an egg.

I think they'll do well. haynesworth will be back (and perhaps McIntosh?). the Bears are in the middle of the pack just like the Skins. these are games in which coaching (and not overall level of talent) make the difference.

For me, it's the Lions game. Chi at least has a good record, though I don't think they are a very good team. The Lions, coming off GB, Indy and Chi, right before our bye, would be a natural let down game.

I just can't be happy about this loss, no matter how hard I try. Yeah, we stayed in it, but we should have been way up on this team. Missed opportunity after missed opportunity just took its toll at the end. And the defense, my GOD! It might as well be 9 trash cans + Landry & Fletcher out there. Oh wait, trash cans might actually record an INT if the ball fell RIGHT INTO THEM. So that comparison is out...

EDIT: We had one of the greatest QBs in NFL history practically BEGGING our defense to pick him off, and we couldn't do it. Its disgusting, really...and one of the differences between good teams and subpar teams.

Over/under on dropped Cutler interceptions this week is set at 4.

We'll see. So far he's had to run for his life most of the season, since Rabach has been getting blown away again this year.

I'm not sure this is happening as much as maybe we have thought it is. I still think we probably need an upgrade at Center (although not as bad as some other positions) but I think we are also seeing a lot of teams blitzing and stunting into the A gap after Rabach is engaged with his man, so it appears a guy beat him. I need to watch some more tape to see for sure (man, it would be nice to see some coaches tape for that...).

I'm not sure this is happening as much as maybe we have thought it is. I still think we probably need an upgrade at Center (although not as bad as some other positions) but I think we are also seeing a lot of teams blitzing and stunting into the A gap after Rabach is engaged with his man, so it appears a guy beat him. I need to watch some more tape to see for sure (man, it would be nice to see some coaches tape for that...).

Yeah - it seems as if McNabb is either having problems recognizing the blitz, or we just desperately miss Portis picking up errant blitzers. On one play in particular, Keiland Williams went outside, when the blitz was clearly two linebackers over the middle...a definite head scratcher. Torain seemed to be doing a decent job at blitz pick-up, but still whiffed on at least one or two.

I wanted to address a few of the comments many of you made, especially Al and Jamie. We are a much improved team from last year! If that alone is not good enough during a loss like last night's, then you guys may never be happy with this team. Al, as a more experienced man, I would think you would have learned how to take pleasure in the simple things instead of expecting perfection. Jamie is still younger so his idealism is expected.

It is never going to be perfect guys, not even the 91 Skins were perfect. There is a reason only one team in the NFL since the implementation of the Super Bowl has ever gone undefeated through an entire season. Losses happen. AL, you can't win them all so your idea that winning is everything is too simple. Coaches accept losses are inevitable, just like the opponent putting up points. By your philosophy (Business of winning), we should never allow another team to score a point, the business of a defense is to not allow a team to score. Look at last night's game to put to rest that thinking. We deferred the kickoff to the 2nd half. I can almost assure you the thinking is that we could very well be down by 10 points and it would be wise to give Manning the ball first at 0-0 than with a 7, 10, or any other lead to start the second half. That my friend is the realism that we can't hold Peyton Manning down an entire game not some idealistic view that we should never lose (Business of winning).

So, while we made some mistakes last night, how many people gave us a shot at even being competitive. As poorly as some of the playcalling was, we still hung in there until the end. It was a game we can learn from and hopefully come together to go into Chicago and win! This is progress guys and it won't happen over night.

And Al, as far as rebuilding, there will be some key free agent acquisitions as well as draft choices in the off-season. As much as Mike does not like him, Dockett in Arizona is a quality DL and could end up here, not saying he will, but there are some good players in FA. This is the 21st century NFL, not the 70's and 80's where draft picks were the means of player acquisition..

While I don't agree with him that the Colts are "shadows of their former selves," the 2010 Colts are definitely not as good as previous iterations. That being said, they still have Peyton Manning which makes them dangerous on every offensive possession. However, their defense has been shredded all year, yet they played a decent game against us.

I agree, that some optimism is warranted, because I see last year's Redskins losing this game by 2 touchdowns. However, I see where this team *could* be, and that makes me upset. Its "wait until next year" yet again, and I'm just frustrated saying that.

Hey Folks:

Here is my concern - Although we are 3-3, has anyone taken a look at this 3-3 record? We are 1-3 outside the division. Let me repeat 1-3. We either start winning games outside the division or the 2-0 division wins don't mean squat.

On a brighter note I am very happy with the new players, namely T Williams, Banks and Torain.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.