• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Devin Thomas Cut

Think Armstrong showed why Thomas is gone. You have to go out and prove yourself everyday. Shanahan and Co. run a different operation than one that brought him in.

I believe the young speedster who is only 150 pounds shows it as well. I can tell you that Banks is electric! He is a gamer who loves to play the game and will do whatever he has to to succeed.

Reading into Shanahan's comments, i think there is a LOT behind the scenes that we are not privy to...
Something must have just happened or has been happening on a regular basis that we don't know about.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Unless you believe that Shanahan really doesn't know what the heck he's doing, this is the only point of view that makes sense.

Whatever is going on with DT, it's serious enough that no other team wants to even look at the guy.

Think Armstrong showed why Thomas is gone. You have to go out and prove yourself everyday. Shanahan and Co. run a different operation than one that brought him in.

I'm happy as well. but I don't see Armstrong fitting a need. He's a slot sort of receiver. He can't do the sorts of things Nicks is doing for the Gints. He doesn't have the physical profile that modern offenses require at the X or Z. We gain some with him and we lose some (things that he can be used for in a game - like blocking and red zone play). He'd be a great Y receiver. Over the next few years this team is still gonna have to go out and find a physical presence for the Z WR. probably same..eventually...for Santana as well.

"Physical profile" be damned, Al. I am sick of hearing that.

Give me guys with good hands, a willingness to work, the smarts to be where they are supposed to be when they are supposed to be there and a Pro attitude and I think I'll be just fine, thanks. If the scheme is solid and the guys execute it right, it can't be defended.

so it doesn't strike you as a bit strange that with basically no preseason or regular season play...Shanahan unloads the guy? (i.e., never actually tried to draw out the talent?). fine...Shanahan's making a point. meanwhile...the team doesn't have a single receiver physically suited to the modern receiving game.

Not strange at all. Shanny had 2 years of tape plus the entire offseason, TC, PS to see that DT is not a pro. His routes sucked per Kyle. Why would any coach worth his salt put in an unprofessional WR that couldn't be trusted to run the proper route. I guarantee you that the number of INTs would be significantly higher if DT had been playing due to bad routes.

Also it's well known that Shanny didn't like DT coming out of college, so it's not strange that he didn't really want him on his team.

There is no doubt DT had all the physical tools. For some reason, like many, he either lacked the tools between the ears or just poor work ethic.

If you think back, Art Monk wasn't the most physically gifted WR, but he worked hard to perfect his craft.

There is no doubt we will be looking to get a good physical WR and depth. When depends on CBA process.

Not strange at all. Shanny had 2 years of tape plus the entire offseason, TC, PS to see that DT is not a pro. His routes sucked per Kyle. Why would any coach worth his salt put in an unprofessional WR that couldn't be trusted to run the proper route. I guarantee you that the number of INTs would be significantly higher if DT had been playing due to bad routes.

Also it's well known that Shanny didn't like DT coming out of college, so it's not strange that he didn't really want him on his team.

so an unknown prone to fumbling like Banks still gets play? I don't think so. This is abt Shanahan's ego - same thing w/Haynesworth only there's a huge contract there getting in the way - and a lack of alternatives.

while I'm as happy as everyone else abt the end zone reception...let's look at the data: A. Armstrong.....7 receptions, 1 TD in 5 games. folks are going overboard simply because someone, anyone...not named Cooley or Moss is actually catching a pass. anywho...anticipating your response......yes...let's give him a whole season and hope he does mature into a bona fide threat in all aspects of the game.

I'm not overboard on Armstrong. No doubt he has a long way to go yet but I think I am looking at different stats too. What is impressive to me about his 7 receptions is that they average 26.9 yards per catch and everyone of them was for a 1st down or a TD. He has been targeted by McNabb 17 times and with the exception of the first fade in the End Zone against Dallas I can't think of a single incomplete to him that I thought was his fault. Last week McNabb had him on a second deep ball but lead him out of bounds by at least 2 yards. Yesterday, early, Armstrong got wide open and Donovan over threw him by at least 10 yards.

Is the kid the real deal? Only time will tell but he has certainly been that the last two weeks and right now he has the confidence of the coaches and his QB.

BTW - it is only 4 games. He was inactive a couple weeks ago with an injury.

This is abt Shanahan's ego - same thing w/Haynesworth only there's a huge contract there getting in the way - and a lack of alternatives.

If this were about Shanahan's ego, wouldn't some smart GM have picked DT up already?

This seems to be about a player that no front office across the league has faith in right now. Maybe he'll get picked up eventually, but the fact that no one has jumped at the chance speaks volumes about his reputation in NFL circles.

Thomas signed with the Panthers about 10 mins after clearing wiavers.

so an unknown prone to fumbling like Banks still gets play? I don't think so. This is abt Shanahan's ego - same thing w/Haynesworth only there's a huge contract there getting in the way - and a lack of alternatives.

while I'm as happy as everyone else abt the end zone reception...let's look at the data: A. Armstrong.....7 receptions, 1 TD in 5 games. folks are going overboard simply because someone, anyone...not named Cooley or Moss is actually catching a pass. anywho...anticipating your response......yes...let's give him a whole season and hope he does mature into a bona fide threat in all aspects of the game.

Why would a good coach wish to have a player who doesn't act like a pro nor is capable of running proper routes on his team? You're making accusations for which there is not one shred of evidence. This is DT's 3rd year; he's had ample time to learn to run routes. And besides, since Shanny didn't like him out of college and DT hasn't improved any, why would any sane person keep him around under those circumstances?

This is a stretch, you can't know this. It perplexes me that we didn't just cut him in preseason, but whatever. Do you really think he was going to contribute that much this year? I'm not seeing it, personally.

I don't think there's any evidence to support DT's release had anything to do with anyone's ego. I actually thought Shanahan was brutally forthcoming and refreshingly honest about why we let him go. He essentially said we couldn't afford to hold a roster spot for a guy who, no matter how 'talented', wasn't committed and wasn't doing the things he needed to do to be successful.

And I'm not sure why we'd be opposed to a head coach with some ego anyway, although I don't think that's relevant in any way in this situation. Look at most of the truly successful coaches and you'll find some healthy egos.

I don't know if releasing Thomas was a mistake or not - I don't think any of us will know that for a year or two.. But the Panthers are the worst team in the NFL right now. The fact that they picked him up off waivers isn't necessarily convincing evidence our coaches are idiots.

I don't know if releasing Thomas was a mistake or not - I don't think any of us will know that for a year or two.

I don't "know," but I'm a solid "yes" vote. Just want to go on record. And when I post about this again, I'll say something like, "I hate to say I told you so but..."

Rest assured, I don't hate it. At all. :)

Problem with that is, if he fades into NFL oblivion, the topic will never come up again :) And DT's chances aren't going to be helped by going to the Panthers - easily the worst team in the NFL this year.

Indeed. Receivers are pretty darn dependent on QB play and there isn't much of that going on in Carolina these days.

I don't "know," but I'm a solid "yes" vote. Just want to go on record. And when I post about this again, I'll say something like, "I hate to say I told you so but..."

Problem with that is, if he fades into NFL oblivion, the topic will never come up again :) And DT's chances aren't going to be helped by going to the Panthers - easily the worst team in the NFL this year.

Two year sticky

As others have said HH, i don't like his chances with the pu pu platter of Jimmy Clausen and/or Matt Moore throwing to him (Panthers fans just died a little more). DT has the tools, but is missing something upstairs, a fact that will not helped playing in Car.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.