A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
Injuries or not, this one we gotta have.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Virginia Tech

Default Camp Quotes 8/4: HC Jim Zorn

REDSKINS PARK - LOUDOUN COUNTY, VIRGINIA

www.redskins.com

August 4, 2009
    Redskins Park

REDSKINS HEAD COACH JIM ZORN

On guard Randy Thomas:

He had a sore knee. He felt like when he tried to anchor and really put a load on it, it was a little bit abrasive so we held him out today. I dont know how many practices well have to hold him out. With Randy its probably not going to be long.

On tackle Mike Williams:

Mike Williams hurt his groin a little bit. Hes got a little muscle pull. Stephon Heyer got banged up in that goal line drill and has a little bruise on his knee. I dont what the extent of it is. Haynesworth practiced and did great. His knee is just fine; perfect and no worries.

On having a physical practice:

It was a very physical practice. This was the first day we really had a chance to work goal line and short yardage. Its always a challenge because you have tighter splits and guys that are really coming off the ball. Weve got a couple of great plays. Our defense stopped our run, which they should. It was very competitive. Its hard because you have to do that to get ready to play a football game. So we hit them pretty good. The amount of receivers we have has been going down, with Roydell [Williams] going down with his finger, which put a little extra stress on the receivers and theyve got sore legs too right now so they held a couple out.

On how long wide receiver Roydell Williams will be out due to injury:

I know it will be a couple weeks before he can start running. It may be three weeks until he starts running. Its going to probably be a four-to-six week deal, but Im really speculating.

On fullback Mike Sellers improvement since last year:

I think hes working hard. Hes just using all the speed he has. I dont know if hes trimmed down or lost any weight to gain more speed, but I think hes just more confident in the offense. He really knows the language, and I think Stump Mitchell has done a great job of teaching. Mike Sellers is helping our young fullback learn the position and learn the assignment vocabulary and thats been great.

On if he was concerned that Mike Sellers wasnt at OTAs:

We were in touch a couple times. He wanted to be here but he was working his deal, and now hes playing.

On wide receiver Antwaan Randle El:

I always told him, you can not get injured, we have to have you. Hes practicing everyday and every play. Hes got a little wear and tear but he keeps going. Hes a great football player, leader and person for our football team and I think our team respects him so his presence out there is just perfect for what weve got to do.

On concerns with injuries of the offensive line:

Casey Rabach was down getting his calf muscle stretched. Were looking at Stephon Heyer. Were going to get that looked at, but everybody else, its all muscular.

On Stephon Heyer going down during practice:

It was just a big pile and I heard a little, ugh, so I knew something had happened. It was Heyer. If hes out because we have to rest him, well do that but I dont think its a major issue. Well see. This will be a practice setback, not a season setback.

On tight end coach Scott Wachenheim:

Hes a great addition. Hes replacing a long time coach Renny Simmons. Wachenheim and I worked together in 1991 and 1992 at Utah State University. The thing I love about Scott is that hes always been an excellent teacher. Hes very serious about being a great football coach and I think he relates very well. Hes getting the most out of Fred [Davis]. I think those players appreciate what hes brought to the table. Hes elevated their game, not just kept it the same, and thats what you look for every year. I hope I can do that every year Im in the league. He brings a kind of consciousness, and were going to get better, hes awesome. Another thing I love about him is that he has been an offensive line coach, so he understands blocking schemes just like any offensive line coach, and he brings that to the tight ends. Thats why we can be more versatile with our run-block, our run-game and our passing game because of things that the tight ends can do with his blocking knowledge as well.

On his feelings of players using Twitter:

I dont tweet on the Twitter. I dont worry about it. Weve talked about that. There are so many things that players can do that other people can do. You can Facebook, blog, Tweet, text, Email, you can do all these things. How many things are there? But I cant worry about that. We talk about it and we try to educate about the perils. They already know about the advantages, but they have to know about the cautions that need to be taken.

On how he would assess camp at this point in training camp:

Up to this point weve really accomplished a lot. I think now were in this grind area where guys are starting to pull and getting tired so now weve got to push through this to get in a recovery period where we get these guys ready to play a game. Its not going to come until next week. Were right in that grind of training camp.

On how proud he is of the team:

Im proud of the defense, that their swarming and playing together. Theyre really doing a nice job communicating and theyre playing fast as well. On the offense, Im really proud of the amount of offense weve put in thus far. We dont have it all down, but weve got a larger amount at this time than we did last year. Weve really come a long way.

On how he thinks quarterback Colt Brennan has evolved since last year:

I think Colt has come a long way. I think the way I get on him, he probably doesnt feel like hes come a long way, but Im pushing him and he has come a long way. Hes done well. Hes becoming more disciplined. When he first got here he was a little bit all over the place. Now hes being more disciplined in the pocket. Hes starting to read the throws. But hes a work in progress and this preseason is going to be very important for him. Im not tinkering with his arm yet at all. Im really trying to get the mental part of his game and really the footwork part of his game. Im trying to get him to move.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dang it.

I wanted Zorn to tweet with me.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Michigan State

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie View Post
    Dang it.

So that's what they're calling it nowadays.
    0 0 0 0

Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie View Post
    Dang it.

Kinky
    0 0 0 0

Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List