• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

LaVar's Head Hotel: Vacancy

I no longer live in the NOVA/DC area, so I can't comment intelligently about everything these two say--I simply haven't heard enough to form a real opinion.

I can say that I went to our playoff game in Tampa live, and that Lavar was the best player on the field that day. Prior to each snap, every, and I mean every Tampa o-lineman looked up to see exactly where Lavar was. He was a man against boys on that day, and was a huge reason we won that playoff game.

On a day where our offense wasn't clicking, he really elevated his play. He was absolutely dominant.

For that, I will always give him thanks.

Last edited:
Redskins fans are some of the most negative and downer fans out there from what Ive seen in my life. They take every opp to latch on to something negative and grind it to dust so I dont know where that comes from either.

I dunno Mike. It could come from SUCKING the last 18 years. It could come from having to put up with the danny for the last 11

LaVar indeed has an inflated opinion of himself and what he did here, but I have absolutely NO DOUBT how he was treated once the danny decided he had no use for him

I've changed my mind. This thread does suck :) And not because folks here are apologists for Arrington, or 'haters', but because there's been quite a bit of generalizing both about 'Skins fans' and this site.

Here's the thing, folks are free to think and speak their beliefs on anything they want here. I don't have to like an opinion, and neither do any of you. But as long as they are moderately courteous and civil, folks are free to feel, believe, post any way they like.

I know that may be a novel concept, but it's how it is here.

When Arrington became a commentator, he immediately is subject to people responding to his commentary any way they feel appropriate. It comes with the territory. Ask Jason Reid, Dan Steinberg, or anyone else who has written about the Redskins over the past 10 years. It's a tough crowd. But there's nothing inherently wrong with reacting strongly to a commentator no matter who they are or what their history.

I've changed my mind. This thread does suck :) And not because folks here are apologists for Arrington, or 'haters', but because there's been quite a bit of generalizing both about 'Skins fans' and this site.

Here's the thing, folks are free to think and speak their beliefs on anything they want here. I don't have to like an opinion, and neither do any of you. But as long as they are moderately courteous and civil, folks are free to feel, believe, post any way they like.

I know that may be a novel concept, but it's how it is here.

When Arrington became a commentator, he immediately is subject to people responding to his commentary any way they feel appropriate. It comes with the territory. Ask Jason Reid, Dan Steinberg, or anyone else who has written about the Redskins over the past 10 years. It's a tough crowd. But there's nothing inherently wrong with reacting strongly to a commentator no matter who they are or what their history.

and there's nothing wrong responding to fans who hate on ex-players either! or essentially say the same thing as the ex-players in different contexts.

...then there's nothing wrong with loyal fans like me calling those players out for acting just like they are....a-holes and hypocritical windbags. I can tell ya with some confidence how one Joseph Jackson Gibbs would feel about it and that's generally my barometer.

I agree that he bashing is distasteful and often misguided but Lavar's nonsense has been beyond the pale more than once. The guy is literally the LAST player of about the last decade or so who has ANY business criticizing the way he often does...as if he was a "team player" (Marvin lewis and Marty S would disagree vehemently) and not one of the most selfish, immature, overpaid, overhyped and least productive guys we've had in Washington. It's the ultimate case of the Pot calling the Kettle black when that polished turd calls out Portis.

Oh and to follow up on the comment before about knowing his stuff and how it means I must be listening...nope I NEVER listen to the guy. I merely respond after another one of his bunk rants causes an uproar on the team and throughout Redskins land. When dopes like the people at the Post or WFAN give this guy a job with a platform then there's no way as a "tuned in" Redskins fan I'm NOT going to hear about the crap he spews out of his mouth.

Furthermore I defended that guy through thick and thin as did many others and we all got burned for it. To put it simply he made a chump out of me and the team itself and nope I'm not gonna cut the guy even a modicum of slack when he spouts off once again and draws attention to himself. The guy is a ME guy not a team guy and THAT'S the crux of it.

I'm a loyal fan to the point of borderline homerism at times so the whole "Hater" or "basher" thing just doesn't wash, at least not with me. It took a long time before I turned on Lavar (hell I still have his Jersey hanging up among the others) but the flip was overdue and justified. If some folks have a problem with that, I understand but I make no apologies for it...it's 100% justified.

...then there's nothing wrong with loyal fans like me calling those players out for acting just like they are....a-holes and hypocritical windbags. I can tell ya with some confidence how one Joseph Jackson Gibbs would feel about it and that's generally my barometer.

I agree that he bashing is distasteful and often misguided but Lavar's nonsense has been beyond the pale more than once. The guy is literally the LAST player of about the last decade or so who has ANY business criticizing the way he often does...as if he was a "team player" (Marvin lewis and Marty S would disagree vehemently) and not one of the most selfish, immature, overpaid, overhyped and least productive guys we've had in Washington. It's the ultimate case of the Pot calling the Kettle black when that polished turd calls out Portis.

Oh and to follow up on the comment before about knowing his stuff and how it means I must be listening...nope I NEVER listen to the guy. I merely respond after another one of his bunk rants causes an uproar on the team and throughout Redskins land. When dopes like the people at the Post or WFAN give this guy a job with a platform then there's no way as a "tuned in" Redskins fan I'm NOT going to hear about the crap he spews out of his mouth.

Furthermore I defended that guy through thick and thin as did many others and we all got burned for it. To put it simply he made a chump out of me and the team itself and nope I'm not gonna cut the guy even a modicum of slack when he spouts off once again and draws attention to himself. The guy is a ME guy not a team guy and THAT'S the crux of it.

I'm a loyal fan to the point of borderline homerism at times so the whole "Hater" or "basher" thing just doesn't wash, at least not with me. It took a long time before I turned on Lavar (hell I still have his Jersey hanging up among the others) but the flip was overdue and justified. If some folks have a problem with that, I understand but I make no apologies for it...it's 100% justified.

go for it! except for the justified part...sounds self serving. publish your OPINION and be done with it. just like the rest of us.

I will particularly agree with one point CounterTrey makes, and that's that I really wish folks would avoid the use of loaded words like 'hater'. It's intellectually lazy to lump folks into categories like that - and it cheapens the conversation.

I can't stand Arrington - a position I hold largely because I've seen 'who he is' up close and personal. That doesn't make me a 'hater'. We all likely have pretty diverse reasons and experiences that shape why we hold a given opinion. I think folks, all of us, react strongly when we are lumped together under one mindless umbrella.

I will particularly agree with one point CounterTrey makes, and that's that I really wish folks would avoid the use of loaded words like 'hater'. It's intellectually lazy to lump folks into categories like that - and it cheapens the conversation.

I can't stand Arrington - a position I hold largely because I've seen 'who he is' up close and personal. That doesn't make me a 'hater'. We all likely have pretty diverse reasons and experiences that shape why we hold a given opinion. I think folks, all of us, react strongly when we are lumped together under one mindless umbrella.

ok. strong, emotionally based aversion....diction

Last edited by a moderator:
go for it! except for the justified part...sounds self serving. publish your OPINION and be done with it. just like the rest of us.

I do. Unless someone can find the thread I started filled with incessant rants about the guy, I usually wait until the topic is one already at hand and chime in just like everyone else - like here... but thanks for the clearance. ;)

I do. Unless someone can find the thread I started filled with incessant rants about the guy, I usually wait until the topic is one already at hand and chime in just like everyone else - like here... but thanks for the clearance. ;)

no problem.

and the honored Boone notwithstanding....I still read a lot of hatred in many Arrington/B-Mitch related posts.

Love the irony of the first comment below the post:

If you could not find a job for a long time it is time to change your career guys.. The time is now. Be on your way to earning an accredited degree. Check {SPAM WEBSITE} and find suitable career based on your interests.

soooo...all the fans who have basically been saying the same things about the organization over the last 2-3 yrs...in fact were protesting AT GAMES...they get a free pass?

DOUBLE STANDARD.

It's actually NOT a double standard. Teams don't exist and players don't get paid without fans. We are the ones who, in many cases grudgingly, fork out the billions of dollars for tickets, jerseys, merchendise and buy those products from the teams sponsers.

Therefore, we have a right to complain about not getting our money's worth when the team screws with fans and puts an inferior product on the field.

Players actually serve two bosses. The team AND the fans. When a player badmouths the team, it's also a slap in the face of the fans.

If I felt Arrington's or Mitchell's or Dukes' criticism of the team was objective, I might feel a little differently but when you badmouth the team upon your departure, how can educated fans help but think they have an agenda when the spew they offer as reporting has a negative to positive ratio of 80-20?

You want double standard? Doc Walker and Lavar could offer the same exact criticism but I trust Doc because I believe he has way more class than Lavar, he's not self-serving and he's built a good reputation with the team AND the fans. If Lavar says it, I take it with a grain of salt because it's Lavar and HE'S a "hater". ;)

See, an argument that keeps coming up about Lavar is that he was a selfish player who would not assimilate to the team's philosophy so he is not qualified to chide players who are doing the same thing. I say he is the exact person to discuss it! Who can give better insight than one who has committed the same act? Listen, I am not trying to make Lavar look much more than the windbag he is. I agree with you all. Brian Mitchell is on par!

The problem I have is that you all beat him up for his decision to leave, a decision made by a young man in his mid-20's who had little maturity. Does he have much maturity now? More than he did 5 years ago! He has openly admitted he was wrong! He has openly stated he made mistakes. For those who may have more access to him, I concede to your observations. I can only go by what I have heard the man say.

Would I want to invite Lavar to dinner? Probably not. Would I want hang out w/ him? Likely not. Would I listen to him talk about football? Yes. He was a pro football player who spent years in this organization giving us a lot to cheer. He made a mistake, admitted it and I can look past it. Looks like many of you can't. Today he is a windbag on a radio show, I think he does an ok job and so do his employers, so...

See, an argument that keeps coming up about Lavar is that he was a selfish player who would not assimilate to the team's philosophy so he is not qualified to chide players who are doing the same thing. I say he is the exact person to discuss it! Who can give better insight than one who has committed the same act? Listen, I am not trying to make Lavar look much more than the windbag he is. I agree with you all. Brian Mitchell is on par!

The problem I have is that you all beat him up for his decision to leave, a decision made by a young man in his mid-20's who had little maturity. Does he have much maturity now? More than he did 5 years ago! He has openly admitted he was wrong! He has openly stated he made mistakes. For those who may have more access to him, I concede to your observations. I can only go by what I have heard the man say.

Would I want to invite Lavar to dinner? Probably not. Would I want hang out w/ him? Likely not. Would I listen to him talk about football? Yes. He was a pro football player who spent years in this organization giving us a lot to cheer. He made a mistake, admitted it and I can look past it. Looks like many of you can't. Today he is a windbag on a radio show, I think he does an ok job and so do his employers, so...

aside from the fact that Arrington's behavior patterns were the product of a dynamic - which many seem to ignore - and accepting there was a strong "me me" quality to his decision making....what grabs me is these grand generalizations about character without any refernence to what the man has done in other venues...including work in the community.

eh....he's not with the team now...so he's not really relevant to Xs and Os....Ws and Ls.....

THe guy SUCKS at making amends. He and Brian Mitchell are of the same mold.

The difference is Mitchell had just cause to be upset. He had a great career here and still had gas in the tank, offered to restructure his salary to stay on, but Cerrato was convinced he was done...despite a nearly game changing runback in the playoffs.
Arrington's only distinction is being the most overrated player in Skins history who still believes the hype. He was washed up when he left, and angry because he was delusional/stupid enough to believe that an option to convert a roster bonus to a signing bonus to manage cap figures was actually that he was going to get 2 identical signing bonuses in the same year for the exact same amount. As Om stated....vacancy from the neck up.

I agree Riggo. And there's another huge difference. While in burgundy and gold, Mitchell mostly kept his mouth shut and let his play on the field do his talking. Arrington was never able to do that.

I'm over my issues with Lavar and some former ESers may remember I was not a big fan of him after his Redskin days for many reasons.

Now, I wish him the best in his career as a media personality.

Do I listen to him though, not really. Never thought he was a knowlegable football guy when he was a Redskin (although highly talented) and nothing he's written/done since has made me say, wow what insight to the Washington Redskins team and organization.

If you want to get a good amount of football insider knowledge from a former Skin who can write some nice stories-- check out Matt Bowen over at National Football Post. Guy is a fountain of knowledge with a high football acumen.

I also like the works of Ross Tucker and Trevor Mattich.

And one day I think Jon Jansen will be a helluva good media guy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.