• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

OF: State of Grace

I'm guessing that no one liked my plan? Tough crowd! :biggrin2:

Truth be told though, I like it when someone or several someones pick(s) it apart, point out the flaws, add some of their own ideas, etc. :)

I'm guessing that no one liked my plan? Tough crowd! :biggrin2:

Truth be told though, I like it when someone or several someones pick(s) it apart, point out the flaws, add some of their own ideas, etc. :)

BB, I may do a more thorough analysis and commentary on your plan in a couple of days-maybe not, we'll see-however I do see one modification I's make.

We have a skilled new LT who shows a lot of talent-still raw, but skilled beyond what I think most were expecting him to be able to deliver. The problem? His backup. I see a severe drop-off from Williams to Heyer not only in individual athletic skill but I sensed a dip in what I will call the "flow" of the OL, a less cohesive "moving as a unit" feeling-less movement based on being able to anticipate the movement in the line as an automatic reaction. We need a backup for TW on the OL and we need a potential replacement for Hicks and/or Brown on the right side. Not for immediate use but for immediate "apprenticeship" into the RG or RT positions within a season. I'd get at least one LT and one RT or RG in the draft with two of the RB picks and let Shanahan use his genius for finding RBs in every nook and cranny-like UDFAs to get them.

I watched Heyer on Sunday and while there were a couple of times when he made us cringe, he did a serviceable job. That first touchdown happens because Heyer moved his assignment all the way to the goal line. Perhaps he is learning the ZBS and will do a decent job as a backup.

Anyway, feel free to rip away. :)

I watched Heyer on Sunday and while there were a couple of times when he made us cringe, he did a serviceable job. That first touchdown happens because Heyer moved his assignment all the way to the goal line. Perhaps he is learning the ZBS and will do a decent job as a backup.

Anyway, feel free to rip away. :)

Heyer has usually been decent as a run blocker. It's his pass blocking that is a huge liability. The entire O-Line was a sieve during the 4th quarter but that's because Kyle abandoned the pass on first down and most of the time on second down. Once third down rolled around, Philly was able to pin their ears back. The Offense ceased to be an enigma wrapped in a riddle and became an enema wrapped in leaky Charmin.

If we can run the ball with any modecum of success against Green Bay AND we can keep their Defense off-balance, Heyer stands a snowball's chance of actually PROTECTING McNabb and not getting him killed. Hopefully, he won't need to play much this week. ;)

My "State of Grace(ful)" plan would take another year, maybe two.

We need to get much, much younger. Don't get rid of McNabb - four more years with him and time to groom another (potential) franchise QB is the way to go.

The rest of my plan? Here is my best shot...

Go all offense in the draft.

1st Rd. - WR and make it a good one. :)
2nd Rd. - OG
5th Rd. - RB - Coach knows how to find them.
6th Rd. - FB - an excellent FB can be found at this pick.
7th Rd. - RB - Yep, Coach can find a second gem here as well.

UDFA - In the glut of UDFAs, a gem amongst OG, OT, C, RB, or WR may be found as well.

In free agency, concentrate on defense and go for two studs and two solid performers. DE, LB, DT, and CB. A stud DT if AH doesn't work out or a stud DE and a stud CB would be preferable. Solid performer(s) at LB. However, if a stud WR becomes available, grab him.

Target specific needs the following year as needed. Begin a "search" for that future franchise QB.

OK, finally getting around to replying to this. Internets are important stuff!

I basically like your plan, though I suspect that Torain, if he stays healthy, may be the RB we need, which may negate some of your late RB picks there. I think we will retool the interior of the O-line pretty quickly. Agreed that we need a WR with first or second pick, but we also need someone who can step in right away through FA as well.

As for the D, LB is biggest need right now, though that may change as the season goes on. Then D-Linemen, depending on what happens with Fat Al.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.